Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Belclare x replacements or Buy Breeding ewes

Options
  • 30-06-2015 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Just wondering :

-If I would be better off keeping belclare x ewe lambs or sell these and buy in breeding ewes (2or3 yr olds).

-What breed of ewes suits the belclare best I was thinking of suffolks or cheviots?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Keep your sheep and keep your money,would a nice Charolais or vendeen ram suit them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭DJ98

If i keep the ewe lambs theyll be more than likely going to another belclare as I have only 20 ewes so only use the one ram. The only issue with this is too many lambs or is it?

Belclare crossed with a belclare mightn't be as hardy as other lambs, one lamb for a ewe lamb is enough for them.

Thats the trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Ahh go for a good cheviot off the hill ;)

We sell ours in blessington :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Youngshepherd

Ganmo what price would they average if you don't mind me asking? Thinking of buying a few but need a price estimate ��

What price would a cheviot ewe bring?

DJ98 wrote: »
    What price would a cheviot ewe bring?

Sorry for being slow in getting back, wanted to be sure

130 pen of 18

What you mean by "pen of 18"

18 sheep in a pen for sale at the mart most likely

• Advertisement

IH784man wrote: »
    18 sheep in a pen for sale at the mart most likely

yup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 wybrant

You have the ideal working sheep why sell them!!!! Instead of buying 2-3 yo ewes buy a tex or char ram and youre good to go. If you wanted buy some older ewes to go with belclare ram and breed even more of them but i wouldnt sell them

Advertisement