Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Dunne - 2017 British Masters Champion!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Walton certainly wasn’t the Ryder Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Dbu wrote: »
    A personal tragedy was one of the main reasons for Hunter spending more time with his family and intimately his tumble down the rankings.

Yea I googled him yesterday seemly he dropped down to the web.com tour after a personal tragedy I think he gained his card last year and is on the way back. But he had a family also and was spending more time with them. I suppose in once sense he's a millionaire so maybe hes happy with his lot and took time away.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

benny79 wrote: »
    Yea I googled him yesterday seemly he dropped down to the web.com tour after a personal tragedy I think he gained his card last year and is on the way back. But he had a family also and was spending more time with them. I suppose in once sense he's a millionaire so maybe hes happy with his lot and took time away.

Also read about his situation after checking this thread then watched a few videos of his chip/interview after the ryder cup beside other american players.

Tough watch.

Thing is, even if he did get up and down when he fluffed the chip, mcdowell was still in the driving seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Classy stuff from Shane Lowry as you can see in the link below re Paul Dunne's plight at the moment. When you are a friend during hard times, that is as much more important during the good times. Lowry and Dunne are really great friends and fingers crosses that the support of the Open champion, where golf seems that bit more tougher for the pride of Greystones in the last few months, will be something that he can take great comfort with.

I have every confidence that Paul can secure his full European Tour playing rights this week in Lumine, as he returns to Q-School for the first time since 2015. He is a wonderfully gifted player, he will get his game back, I have no doubt about that. If he doesn't secure the one of the 25 Tour cards that are available in Lumine, he will get between 18 to 20 starts or more in 2020, due to his conditional status by finishing between 116 to 132 in this year's Race to Dubai Rankings. Fingers crossed for him and the rest of the Irish competing in the 108 hole, 6 round marathon, which starts on this Friday.

https://www.irishgolfdesk.com/news-files/2019/11/12/lowry-on-dunne-once-paul-gets-out-the-other-side-he-will-be-a-stronger-person-and-better-player

He has withdrawn from Q school due to wrist injury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

So no card for next year but 18-20 ET starts to try to finish in top 115 of r2d to secure card again for 2021?
    Imagine he'll enter qualifying for US open and open too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

So no card for next year but 18-20 ET starts to try to finish in top 115 of r2d to secure card again for 2021?
    Imagine he'll enter qualifying for US open and open too.

So from this Im presuming, he didnt really have to attend tour school if he is guaranteed that many starts next year?
    Also his sponsors are a fairly powerful unit so he may pick up more invites?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well he's not a full member of the tour so I assume he can't compete in the R2D sweetener and he'll probably be bottom of the list for Rolex events and these are the big tournaments with big money and big points on offer...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

slave1 wrote: »
    Well he's not a full member of the tour so I assume he can't compete in the R2D sweetener and he'll probably be bottom of the list for Rolex events and these are the big tournaments with big money and big points on offer...

much like Moynihan this year, he'll get into the odd Rolex tournament which will obviously include the Irish Open. He'll have to scrap his way from China to Morocco to get his card back.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

I've heard he has been having trouble with the wrist for awhile now, hopefully he will be able to get something done with it before next season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

He’ll be clocking up the air miles.

New season starts in 2 weeks.

Usually find these people need a quick start to their season as slow starts seems to create more pressure and struggle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Trampas wrote: »
    He’ll be clocking up the air miles.

New season starts in 2 weeks.

Usually find these people need a quick start to their season as slow starts seems to create more pressure and struggle

If the problem with his wrist is bad enough to prevent him from taking part in Q school, he may need an extended break to recover.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If he's had an injury that was bad enough to impact his playing then surely he would have contacted the tour for medical exemption

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

If he's had an injury that was bad enough to impact his playing then surely he would have contacted the tour for medical exemption
    I'll preface this by saying I don't know the rules on medical exemptions, but I would imagine it would have to prevent you from playing entirely. From the sound of it, it was probably uncomfortable rather than disabling (from a golf point of view) and only lately got to the point where it stopped him from playing. Or possibly just from playing competitively, as in having to rein in his swing to protect it.

His medical exemption wouldn’t kick in straight away. Probably should have taken the break a few weeks/months back.

He’s no card so I guess he’ll have no medical exemption on main tour as he didn’t miss any of last season due to long term injury

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

He is back on tour next week in Austria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    He is back on tour next week in Austria

Had completely forgotten about him . He lost his card?

Austria? That challenge tour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Remind me wrote: »
    Austria? That challenge tour?

Looked it up. Correct. From nearly winning the open as an amatuer. He was a very robotic player and not one to entertain, but hope he gets his tour card back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

The next 2 events in Austria are dual events. They count towards both the European and Challenge Tour rankings.

• Advertisement

Changed his mind on Austria now

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Salvadoor

-1 (71,70) with the cut at level in the British Masters. Hopefully a better couple of rounds tomorrow and Saturday will get him some cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭New Era

Looks like Paul Dunne who was entered for this week's Portugal Masters and had been given a tee time also, has withdrawn from the tournament sadly. Very sad to see him struggle at this time. He has the game and talent and as the old saying goes, form is temporary, class is permanent.

In the first tournaments he has played since wrist surgery late last year at the UK swing in the European tour, he has really struggled with his long game and this has contributed to his poor form. Now outside the top 500 in the world rankings, these are worrying times for the pride of Greystones. Here's hoping that he will get his game back in good shape again. He clearly is doing a lot of soul searching at this moment but I certainly won't write him off at all. He is young, fit and talented enough to return back to competing again at the top of the leaderboard in tournaments again. Here's hoping as we need more paddys on tour for sure.

Is Paul injured or taking a break and restarting next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Dr Devious

I truly hope he gets a feckin move on when he does come back, horrendous player to watch, pi55ing about over EVERY single shot, its drives the viewers and his playing partners demented.

On the timesheet for Saudi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    On the timesheet for Saudi

That man needs a result and no one can go after him for playing there

Believe he bought his parents a massive house and doesnt even have a place of his own

He didnt exactly make life changing money!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

gypsy79 wrote: »
    That man needs a result and no one can go after him for playing there

Believe he bought his parents a massive house and doesnt even have a place of his own

He didnt exactly make life changing money!

Hes won almost exactly 3 million on tour. Whilst there are huge costs to touring, even looking at half that as "take home" money is life changing to 99.99% of the population

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Hes won almost exactly 3 million on tour. Whilst there are huge costs to touring, even looking at half that as "take home" money is life changing to 99.99% of the population

And he pays half of that in tax

I played with someone who claimed to be a school friend who says after buying the new family home there wasn’t much left

Sounds reasonable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

gypsy79 wrote: »
    And he pays half of that in tax

I played with someone who claimed to be a school friend who says after buying the new family home there wasn’t much left

Sounds reasonable

i'd believe it. half in tax and another chunk in expenses would not leave a lot.

Advertisement