Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Dunne - 2017 British Masters Champion!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

stockdam wrote: »
    He did fantastic to be leading The Open. Pity he didn't play as well today but the experience will make him a better player.

I think he did amazingly well, and he certainly made my weekend following him.

I wish him all the best for the future and hope he has a superb professional career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I was watching the pga tour late last night and there was an amateur there who finished third. Can't remember his name but they were talking about Dunne and how him and this guy have played each other ten or so times in the last couple of years in college stuff and Dunne has never beat him.

I too hope this is the kick start Dunne needs to push him to the next level and he doesn't dwindle away. He has the ability but as we all know that's not even half the battle in this game it seems.

The guys who work hardest are the most successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

Oost had some patience playing with Dunne ,our compatriot is unfortunately painstakingly slow , his carry on at the 2nd was mindboggling , He hit 3 balls off the tee and his first was still in play , took all day then for his next shot

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Bit of a tough day today, I'd imagine leading the final day of any tournament for your first time is a daunting experience, so when it is the British Open at the home of golf thats a whole other level of pressure again. Would have been nice to see him take home the silver medal but respect to the great showings the other amateurs put in today.

Sure he will look back fondly on the weekend in time, and no doubt we'll be hearing alot more from him in the near future.

chipsdave wrote: »
    Oost had some patience playing with Dunne ,our compatriot is unfortunately painstakingly slow , his carry on at the 2nd was mindboggling , He hit 3 balls off the tee and his first was still in play , took all day then for his next shot

His first was far from "in play"

It was out in a practice area and nobody even knew where it was until they got up there. Who would think anything of a ball left sitting on a putting green???

Very harsh analysis of the second hole

• Advertisement

ForeRight wrote: »
    His first was far from "in play"

It was out in a practice area and nobody even knew where it was until they got up there. Who would think anything of a ball left sitting on a putting green???

Very harsh analysis of the second hole

assure you I was shouting for Him as much as the next Man Woman , however his play on the 2nd and overall appears to be AWAY too slow

assure you I was shouting for Him as much as the next Man Woman , however his play on the 2nd and overall appears to be AWAY too slow

The o my slow play I saw on the second was the issue he had getting a yardage from such a crazy position to be in.

In regard to his tee shots he had to hit the provos

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

It was a tad slow but imo that was deliberate as he was probably trying to calm himself.

The o my slow play I saw on the second was the issue he had getting a yardage from such a crazy position to be in.

In regard to his tee shots he had to hit the provos

Didnt appear to be very kind to his playing partner taking all day on the 2nd and NO I didnt have Oost backed ! too slow of a player overall I would say to ever have an influence , a one hit wonder

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

On one hole he did what all of us who play the game would do. Hit enough balls to make sure we don't have to go back to the tee box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

These lads are more than used to slow play, this week was quite quick in comparison to normal, it wouldn't have affected him at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Fantastic achievement. Pity about today but the nerves got to him. I agree with Fix, think it was unlucky to be going out in the last group, he might have been better off if Day had of made that putt last night on 18.

Watched it in the club today. It was a media frenzy.

Open week kicked off today. Junior competition this morning so lots of his compatriots around which was great to see. It was not surprising that if you wanted to play in the singles which were due to start @ 10, there was not a spot to be found on Thursday when I last looked. A quick check this morning found that pretty much EVERYONE had cried off. 1 lone 3 ball remained on the sheet teeing off @ about 11.

Great buzz around the place. Obviously we have all known about Paul in Greystones for the best part of 10 years, but now he has crashed onto the world scene in some style. Congratulations young man, you did yourself, your family, you University, your coach(s), your club and country very proud. A new hero is born in style.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Seve OB wrote: »
    Fantastic achievement. Pity about today but the nerves got to him. I agree with Fix, think it was unlucky to be going out in the last group, he might have been better off if Day had of made that putt last night on 18.

Watched it in the club today. It was a media frenzy.

Open week kicked off today. Junior competition this morning so lots of his compatriots around which was great to see. It was not surprising that if you wanted to play in the singles which were due to start @ 10, there was not a spot to be found on Thursday when I last looked. A quick check this morning found that pretty much EVERYONE had cried off. 1 lone 3 ball remained on the sheet teeing off @ about 11.

Great buzz around the place. Obviously we have all known about Paul in Greystones for the best part of 10 years, but now he has crashed onto the world scene in some style. Congratulations young man, you did yourself, your family, you University, your coach(s), your club and country very proud. A new hero is born in style.

I imagine it was a great day for you all despite the ending :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Didnt appear to be very kind to his playing partner taking all day on the 2nd and NO I didnt have Oost backed ! too slow of a player overall I would say to ever have an influence , a one hit wonder

Does it really matter in the great scheme of things :(

Maybe the speed will come in time but surely whats important here is

1) he qualified for a major - not easy to do - ask Padraig - he missed out on competing in one by just ONE shot in a qualifying tournament.

2) Goes on to lead in said major - an impressive achievement for ANYONE.

Difficulties in last day when in contention THAT HAPPENS - and even great pros get caught out with that.

One hit wonder - maybe - who knows - but its hard to ignore the obvious reality that a young man at 22 years of age still only an Amateur - getting into a position to be leading a major - is clearly showing a lot of ability and potential.

How he realises that potential and ability in the longer term - is a question for the future. As I said earlier - he NEEDS the right help and guidance to help him progress.

Even the pros have their coaches and sports psychologists and other backroom people helping them.

Having found the first ball of the tee on the 2nd having hit 5 off the tee , quick measurement anywhere around the green with your 2nd shot , breath sigh of relief , move on ....but NO big long drawn out affair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Having found the first ball of the tee on the 2nd having hit 5 off the tee , quick measurement anywhere around the green with your 2nd shot , breath sigh of relief , move on ....but NO big long drawn out affair
    Most of the time was taken up with moving the crowd away from the line of his shot. The rules official was on the walkie-talkie almost up to the point that he took his second; conferring with marshals to make sure the way was clear.

I've seen similar delays with other pros in big tournaments who have to take drops off cart paths etc. And btw, he didn't "hit 5 off the tee", he hit three, the third one would have been his 5th stroke counting penalties.

rrpc wrote: »
    Most of the time was taken up with moving the crowd away from the line of his shot. The rules official was on the walkie-talkie almost up to the point that he took his second; conferring with marshals to make sure the way was clear.

I've seen similar delays with other pros in big tournaments who have to take drops off cart paths etc. And btw, he didn't "hit 5 off the tee", he hit three, the third one would have been his 5th stroke counting penalties.

not sure if you play golf or not, while he only hit three balls off the tee, the term is on the second ball to hit "3 off the tee" and on the third ball he would have been "hitting 2 off the tee". this is the number of shots that would have been marked on his card to include penalty strokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Off to Walker Cup trials today.....life goes on. Hope he turns pro soon - it's great to have another Irish guy to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

vienne86 wrote: »
    Off to Walker Cup trials today.....life goes on. Hope he turns pro soon - it's great to have another Irish guy to follow.

Heard he was offered the chance to go pro before the Open but he wants to play in the Walker Cup. Expensive decision :pac:

I imagine once the Walker Cup is over he will turn pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Well Dunne, Paul! Did Ireland proud!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

There was a massive delay on the 2nd as the marshalls incorrectly moved away the railings marking the OB, they were then told to put them back in place.

Louis was quite generous to him all round according to the lads on the Open app, letting him finish out putts and move on from the hole.

Paul's Dad was just on Brendan O'Connor and specifically mentioned how good Louis was to him throughout the two rounds.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

vienne86 wrote: »
    Paul's Dad was just on Brendan O'Connor and specifically mentioned how good Louis was to him throughout the two rounds.

Great to hear that, nice to know of an experienced pros helping out the up and coming amateurs.

I can't think of a better guy that Louis that Paul could have been paired with the last 2 days.

The guy is a gentleman and a class act. Seems to be a very very gentle and likeable fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I can't think of a better guy that Louis that Paul could have been paired with the last 2 days.

The guy is a gentleman and a class act. Seems to be a very very gentle and likeable fella.

Former winner of the Irish Amateur Open is Louis.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Heard he was offered the chance to go pro before the Open but he wants to play in the Walker Cup. Expensive decision :pac:

I imagine once the Walker Cup is over he will turn pro.

not sure what you mean by this? turning pro is a decision he has to make. he does not need to be offered.

Yes, top golfer, but comes over as a quiet and unassuming guy. I was delighted Paul was out with him and no some 'star' like Poulter, for example.

Seve OB wrote: »
    not sure what you mean by this? turning pro is a decision he has to make. he does not need to be offered.

What I mean by "offered the chance" is that he finished his college senior year earlier and could have declared himself pro before the tournament started but decided to wait until next year after Walker Cup. When I say he was "offered the chance" I am saying the chance presented itself to him to go pro before the Open due to him finishing college. Sorry if wording wasn't clear.

EDIT; Since I only recently heard of him I didn't know before his final year of college was finished before the open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Adamocovic wrote: »
    What I mean by "offered the chance" is that he finished his college senior year earlier and could have declared himself pro before the tournament started but decided to wait until next year after Walker Cup. When I say he was "offered the chance" I am saying the chance presented itself to him to go pro before the Open due to him finishing college. Sorry if wording wasn't clear.

EDIT; Since I only recently heard of him I didn't know before his final year of college was finished before the open

He would have turned pro though with no card and not a very big profile for getting invites to tournaments. It is not just a case of turning pro and off you go onto the european tour.

Even if he turns pro after the walker cup yes he might get invites into some tournaments for the rest of the season but he will still have to go down the Q school route or hope he can make enough money from his invites to get a card that way. Although Rory did that it is not a very likely scenario for most.

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    He would have turned pro though with no card and not a very big profile for getting invites to tournaments. It is not just a case of turning pro and off you go onto the european tour.

Even if he turns pro after the walker cup yes he might get invites into some tournaments for the rest of the season but he will still have to go down the Q school route or hope he can make enough money from his invites to get a card that way. Although Rory did that it is not a very likely scenario for most.

True. McDowell was saying he should make the leap in an attempt to get a European tour card before end of the season, tough ask though as you say. He also probably didn't expect this Open to go so well.

Yeah I'm aware Rory did but wasn't he ranked number one amatuer for a period so I imagine getting invites to events were very high, similar to Anthony Kim when he turned pro (even though he was very young) , I don't know much about Dunne. From people who watched him on the college circuit and amateurs how did he fare against the others? What was his highest ranking? Was it simply the case of course suiting him and him having a great weekend or do people who watch him regularly feel he is capable of being a top pro.

Advertisement