Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Dunne - 2017 British Masters Champion!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Adamocovic wrote: »
    True. McDowell was saying he should make the leap in an attempt to get a European tour card before end of the season, tough ask though as you say. He also probably didn't expect this Open to go so well.

Yeah I'm aware Rory did but wasn't he ranked number one amatuer for a period so I imagine getting invites to events were very high, similar to Anthony Kim when he turned pro (even though he was very young) , I don't know much about Dunne. From people who watched him on the college circuit and amateurs how did he fare against the others? What was his highest ranking? Was it simply the case of course suiting him and him having a great weekend or do people who watch him regularly feel he is capable of being a top pro.

I don't know much about him other than seeing results on the amateur scene in recent years. Rory got his card from the Dunhill Links primarily with a big finish there.

One thing I didn't like about his game yesterday was how poor his wedge play way. He hit at least 3 duffs that I saw and that blade through 18. Maybe it was the occasion and all of that but it would want to be a good deal sharper if he is turning pro. It did seem a lot better on Saturday though to me honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

pistol_75 wrote: »
    I don't know much about him other than seeing results on the amateur scene in recent years. Rory got his card from the Dunhill Links primarily with a big finish there.

One thing I didn't like about his game yesterday was how poor his wedge play way. He hit at least 3 duffs that I saw and that blade through 18. Maybe it was the occasion and all of that but it would want to be a good deal sharper if he is turning pro. It did seem a lot better on Saturday though to me honest.

Of course it was the occasion. His wedge play the first 3 days was perfect.

When the pot herbs get the better of us all we thin and chunk delicate shots. It's unfaur to think that's his general play considering he was joint leader after 3 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

ForeRight wrote: »

When the pot herbs get the better of us all we thin and chunk delicate shots. It's unfaur to think that's his general play considering he was joint leader after 3 days

Let me rephrase it then. His wedge play under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Let me rephrase it then. His wedge play under pressure.

I agree.

He was in an extreme position. He may never in his career be in that position again. Hopefully he takes positives away from it. Like rory with his masters meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

ForeRight wrote: »

wouldn't we all take that just once in our lives :)

I get nervous when I have a birdy putt from 2 foot when I'm out for a few holes on a Tuesday night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Some mad posts in here. Amateur who has a chance of winning the open is being examined for everything he did yesterday.
    His comment on Sunday night was, he hopes to make contact with the ball on the first tee. That shows you how nervous he was.
    On the 2nd hole he was told to hit the prov by the marshals.
    Lads and ladies, we would be nervous if we had a chance of winning a Capts. Never mind The Open.
    Congrats Paul on great golf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

We know that but most of us would be unable to lead the Open after 3 days also. His performance up to then made it seem like he might be capable of handling the nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

We know that but most of us would be unable to lead the Open after 3 days also. His performance up to then made it seem like he might be capable of handling the nerves.

Nothing in golf can compare to leading an Open and being the last man to tee off. It was 100 times that of any other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Agree with most on the nerves thing, biggest moment of his career going out last on the final day. With all the talk the night before and build up to his tee off no doubt the nerves got to him. Poor back 9 but might of been a result of head dropping and just wanting to finish the round.

We all know nerves and hitting a slump can affect everyone, from amateurs to pros (look at DJ and Schwartzel), for an amateur to finish in the top 30 and have such an impressive first 3 rounds is still a huge achievement (even though this year we saw a lot of amateurs do well).

Hopefully the experience of being in the hunt for a major tournament, having the media presence, and leading the event goes on to be a great learning experience for him and helps his overall game and the transition for when he does go pro.

On the Walker Cup, I saw he had been named on a provisional 20 list a while ago and imagine his chances of being named in the final 10 have taking a big increase after the weekend. When is the final team announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Adamocovic wrote: »

On the Walker Cup, I saw he had been named on a provisional 20 list a while ago and imagine his chances of being named in the final 10 have taking a big increase after the weekend. When is the final team announced?

R and A website just says team is announced in August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

I get nervous when I have a birdy putt from 2 foot when I'm out for a few holes on a Tuesday night![/quote]

Birdie putts from 2 feet?? Bloody show off :)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SolarStoned

massive achievement for doing what he did.....congratulations to you paul dunne from one greystones head to another you did fantastic!

massive achievement for doing what he did.....congratulations to you paul dunne from one greystones head to another you did fantastic!

Are you another greystones member

im not a greystones member i play in citywest as i live in dublin now....but i learned how to play in greystones oh so long ago :)

im not a greystones member i play in citywest as i live in dublin now....but i learned how to play in greystones oh so long ago :)

You and me both, I've never left
    When did you play as a junior? Maybe I know ya :)

this is a thread to celebrate paul dunne's amazing display at the open matey....probably best to keep it that way :)

Paul will be on Miriam o'callaghan show on rte 1 tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Seve OB wrote: »
    Paul will be on Miriam o'callaghan show on rte 1 tonight

I see you got the text the same time as me.

Big spread (by Paul, himself) in the Irish Times sport section today.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Paul Dunne on RTE1 now.

Home from Killeen Castle just in time for this. Nice and handy that todays venue was close to home.

Good interview with him, he comes across very humble.

I see he climbed back up the rankings to 38th

• Advertisement

Paul Dunne on RTE1 now.

Very level headed guy.

going nicely along in the european amateurs
    -3 yesterday, -5 today with 3 to play

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

going nicely along in the european amateurs

FYI...don't Google "European Amateurs" if you're at work...ahem ;)

D Hayes wrote: »
    FYI...don't Google "European Amateurs" if you're at work...ahem ;)

Haha, straight on now to do just that :)

Dunners finishes T14th to get through to the knockout stage. Class performance in a field of 312 of the worlds best

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

Dunners finishes T14th to get through to the knockout stage. Class performance in a field of 312 of the worlds best

There is an 18 player playoff for 10 spots in the last 64. That could take a while!

There is an 18 player playoff for 10 spots in the last 64. That could take a while!

18 player playoff??????? Is this some sort of record? Glad to see Paul isn't in this playoff!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

1up thru 9 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Wins 2up

• Advertisement

Class stuff

Advertisement