Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul Dunne - 2017 British Masters Champion!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Seve OB wrote:
    what's the hole????

2nd in druids heath?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

shaunac93 wrote: »
    2nd in druids heath?

/\ /\ /\ /\

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Seve OB wrote:
    /\ /\ /\ /\

Oops bit slow off :) haha....I would not make a good detective :p

Back to Q School

not much has changed after 9. still sitting comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Seve OB wrote: »
    Back to Q School

not much has changed after 9. still sitting comfortable.

Well he's moved up a few places to T7 at par and Jack Hume is up to 3rd at -1 after 9 holes today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Cut is currently -3 so with 9 holes to go they look like getting to stage 2 comfortably with 5 and 6 shots currently in hand.

Cut is currently -3 so with 9 holes to go they look like getting to stage 2 comfortably with 5 and 6 shots currently in hand.

The field has already been cut. We are in the last round. Top 21 and ties to qualify into round 2

The field has already been cut. We are in the last round. Top 21 and ties to qualify into round 2

I meant the cut off to get into stage 2.

Paul up to 4th on -10 and Jack tied 2nd currently on -11. Both have finished their rounds but there are still some who haven't finished, so they're not final results.

Unlikely to be much change though and certainly well inside the top 21.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Good to have the first stage out of the way. Gets tougher from here but has the game for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Great performance from the two of them. Onwards and upwards.

First cheque as professional today? Well done!

First cheque as professional today? Well done!

:confused:

They're in Q school. Don't think you get paid for that.

rrpc wrote: »
    :confused:

They're in Q school. Don't think you get paid for that.
    Top 5 in first qualifying tournament at each venue (I think).

€550 he gets. Helped a bit by Jack Hume being an amateur and not getting anything. Will help with the expenses if nothing else.

• Advertisement

I didn't know that. I thought they only got prize money at the final qualifying stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

pistol_75 wrote: »
    €550 he gets. Helped a bit by Jack Hume being an amateur and not getting anything. Will help with the expenses if nothing else.

Does that mean if Hume doesn't get through he retains his amateur status, but if he does he can turn pro, whereas Dunne can't just declare himself an amateur again for a specified time period?

Ormus wrote: »
    Does that mean if Hume doesn't get through he retains his amateur status, but if he does he can turn pro, whereas Dunne can't just declare himself an amateur again for a specified time period?

I'm almost certain you can't play in the final qualifying as an amateur (not sure about stage 2) so he would need to turn Pro to play in that.

Dunne is in it for the long haul now but I know there is a specified period turning from Pro back to Amateur before you can get your handicap back (I think 6 months).

I'm almost certain you can't play in the final qualifying as an amateur (not sure about stage 2) so he would need to turn Pro to play in that.

Dunne is in it for the long haul now but I know there is a specified period turning from Pro back to Amateur before you can get your handicap back (I think 6 months).

Gosh, didn't know you could switch back from pro to am.

€1800 to enter q school I think!

• Advertisement

He can stay amateur all the way. Will forfeit any winnings obviously. I read he would turn pro if he achieved a decent challenge tour status, if not he'd stay amateur.

So his first tournament (excluding Q School last week), 6th hole

HOLE IN ONE :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

So his first tournament (excluding Q School last week), 6th hole

HOLE IN ONE :D

Hope he has some money earned to pay for the drinks at the end of the day!!!

3 birdies in a row, -6 after 13. His Walker cup team mate Jimmy Mullen in -7 after 17. Both playing Kingsbarn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

not sure why people are worried about him having a few quid.

His clothing/gear/clubs deal will cover all his expenses for probably the next 5 years for this year.

Ye all sound like my da!

8 under 64...sweet! Tied for the lead.

not sure why people are worried about him having a few quid.

His clothing/gear/clubs deal will cover all his expenses for probably the next 5 years for this year.

Ye all sound like my da!

Really? You sure about that? Playing on Tour is horrendously expensive.

Tied with Walker Cup teammate Jimmy Mullen, both playing their first pro tournament since turning pro. Some start.

That said, if they're playing Carnoustie tomorrow, they could yet miss the cut.

Some achievement - harder courses to come, but today was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

His deals will cover him for many years, remember this guy led the Open after 54h he's no ordinary new pro. Massive potential

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

His deals will cover him for many years, remember this guy led the Open after 54h he's no ordinary new pro. Massive potential

He has Titleist and Footjoy and presumably Under Armour but any deals will be conditional on him getting his card and staying in the limelight. Sponsors don't shell out for "many years" based on potential, especially besed on three good days.

He will have to earn the Ferarri, like everyone else.

Travel and hotels must cost a bomb - thought I saw that a tour pro needs to earn the guts of €0.25m a year.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Travel and hotels must cost a bomb - thought I saw that a tour pro needs to earn the guts of €0.25m a year.

And that's before you account for food, coach, agent, caddy, family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Panrich

Leading on his own now after a birdie on the first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭benny79

vienne86 wrote: »

I always was told it more around €100,000 figure still either way expensive!

Another milestone for our Paul.

The European Tour gave him a profile picture overnight :D

Some start to pro careers for Dunne and Mullen!

First Up wrote: »
    He has Titleist and Footjoy and presumably Under Armour but any deals will be conditional on him getting his card and staying in the limelight. Sponsors don't shell out for "many years" based on potential, especially besed on three good days.

He will have to earn the Ferarri, like everyone else.

Hel be enabled to play for a good few years without financial worries, this will give him the best chance to make it.

Hel be enabled to play for a good few years without financial worries, this will give him the best chance to make it.

I don't have details of his sponsorship deals but it would be something very unusual and special for them to guarantee a recent amateur going through his first Q school an income that covers his financial needs for "a good few years".

He is doing great at the Dunhill and could conceivably earn enough this week to get some sort of card. But otherwise he needs to get through the three stages of Q school and/or get invites into a few events.

He may very well become a superstar but until he's on tour, he's not yet a sponsor's dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I would imagine because he done so well as an amateur that sponsors would be willing to risk signing him up before he gets his card rather than risk losing out altogether. IIRC Under Armour signed Spieth very early in his career before he started winning on a 10 year contract and now unfortunately for him is getting paid peanuts compared to the likes of mcilroy

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I would imagine because he done so well as an amateur that sponsors would be willing to risk signing him up before he gets his card rather than risk losing out altogether. IIRC Under Armour signed Spieth very early in his career before he started winning on a 10 year contract and now unfortunately for him is getting paid peanuts compared to the likes of mcilroy

They sign up lots of aspiring pros - the question is on what terms and conditions. The smart thing is to have scope to review terms but that cuts both ways.

Dunne is reasonably hot, coming off his showing at the Open and the Walker Cup but unless he gets a tour card, this time next year his negotiating position will be a lot less and somebody else will be in the limelight.

But for the moment, lets get him through Carnoustie tomorrow and a good finish on Sunday.

First Up wrote: »
    I don't have details of his sponsorship deals but it would be something very unusual and special for them to guarantee a recent amateur going through his first Q school an income that covers his financial needs for "a good few years".

He is doing great at the Dunhill and could conceivably earn enough this week to get some sort of card. But otherwise he needs to get through the three stages of Q school and/or get invites into a few events.

He may very well become a superstar but until he's on tour, he's not yet a sponsor's dream.

The guy was the first amateur since Bobby Jones to lead the Open! Not the open singles, Irish Open, THE Open!! If you think hes got the same deal as all the others that turned your very naive, he wont have to worry about paying bills for id say 3 or 4 years, this frees him up to just play golf! As he is doing.

Paul Dunne is very good with the press - very mature. Sky there just went on and on about the money, and he just kept saying that if he plays well, the money will take care of itself.

The guy was the first amateur since Bobby Jones to lead the Open! Not the open singles, Irish Open, THE Open!! If you think hes got the same deal as all the others that turned your very naive, he wont have to worry about paying bills for id say 3 or 4 years, this frees him up to just play golf! As he is doing.

He was 3rd highest amateur in the Open. He wasn't in the top 10 of the amateur world rankings, possibly not even top 20.

It was very exciting what happened at the Open, but don't let that fool you into thinking he's a shoo in to be the next big thing in the same way that McIlroy was.

He's clearly got talent and I hope he makes it big, but it's not at all guaranteed.

He was 3rd highest amateur in the Open. He wasn't in the top 10 of the amateur world rankings, possibly not even top 20.

It was very exciting what happened at the Open, but don't let that fool you into thinking he's a shoo in to be the next big thing in the same way that McIlroy was.

He's clearly got talent and I hope he makes it big, but it's not at all guaranteed.

I hope so too but there's a bit of naivety and wishful thinking on display here - and its not from me.

He has signed with a respected but relatively minor sports management company who have a modest enough presence in golf. That doesn't suggest the queue was particularly long, or that sponsors were waving wads in his direction.

I'd say he has a reasonably decent "starter" deal with scope to improve it based on where he sits in the rankings, which needs to be a number less than 115 or a Q school grad by next month. Thats as good as it gets, no matter how heavily rose tinted your glasses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Tied 19th € 47,536, nice prize for first tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Tied 19th € 47,536, nice prize for first tournament

Just back to basics for a second.

Is his only way onto tour - the nighmare of Q school.

Great piece by Kimmage today on him.

EDIT: Just see first up made the point I'm sort of still worried about. Has been a class few months , but so much more to do to even get a card ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭big_drive

EDIT: Just see first up made the point I'm sort of still worried about. Has been a class few months , but so much more to do to even get a card ?

Is there a link to that piece by Kimmage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

big_drive wrote: »
    Is there a link to that piece by Kimmage?

No - only reason I buy the piece of trash is Kimmage.

You could listen to review of papers - gives a good idea of concept.
    Not sure I fully agree with premise that Luck plays a part.

For the overwhelming majority of cases - luck doesn't play a part.

1/4 of the way into this.

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/Off_The_Ball_Highlights/107790/Sunday_Sports_Pages_David_McWilliams_and_Declan_Lynch

Its hard to see him winning enough - only two starts guaranteed as far as I know and he needs about €200,000 from them. He could conceivably get into a few more events (top 10's etc.) but I'd say Q school is a near certainty.

I wouldn't call it a nightmare for someone in his position - its a rite of passage and he will be mentally prepared for it. It is a nightmare for players like Peter Lawrie, Damien McGrane and others who have been on tour for years and are now competing with these young tyros for their livelihoods.

• Advertisement
Advertisement