Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgraded to Yosemite - MacBook is Now Unusable

Options
  • 30-06-2015 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

Hi. I have a 2013 MacBook Pro. I upgraded to the Yosemite OSX earlier and my laptop is now running so slow that it's essentially unusable. Even opening a Finder window takes 60 seconds. iTunes and Safari are taking 2-3 minutes to open. Something has gone seriously wrong. Any ideas? Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,359 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Do a clean install of the OS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I'm quite clueless when it comes to this stuff. Does that mean I'll lose everything off my laptop. Music, photos, etc? A clean slate, essentially?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,359 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You could do a time machine of the stuff you want or move it to an external hard drive.

If im updating the os, I tend to do a clean install ie deleting everything. Its the best method.

Heres a walk through
    https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT201376

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

That's great. I'll get cracking at it right away. Thanks so much!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I would have checked Activity Monitor first to see if there was any rogue background processes or just normal system stuff. Spotlight usually indexes after an upgrade which can slow the system down considerably. I'd have also ran Disk Utility. Hard drives have a habit of failing after OS upgrades.

• Advertisement
Advertisement