Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate my Stroke

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Kurt_Godel wrote: »

Is it me or is your left arm drifting wide and not getting a proper catch at times?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

*I am no expert*

It looks hurried, looks like theres a lack of control, which makes it look like you're getting very little leverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Is it me or is your left arm drifting wide and not getting a proper catch at times?

Thanks. Could be- I'll try and watch out for this. Will get a video again from a straighter angle to compare.

BTH wrote: »
    *I am no expert*

It looks hurried, looks like theres a lack of control, which makes it look like you're getting very little leverage.

Cheers. I'm not looking for expert advice, just anything that gives food for thought is welcome.

Do you mean a slower, longer stroke?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Cheers. I'm not looking for expert advice, just anything that gives food for thought is welcome.

Do you mean a slower, longer stroke?

Not sure it nees to be slower necessarily, but more purposeful, if that makes sense. You dont look to be getting much grab of that water at the top of the stroke.

It's too early to be properly articulate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

On a slightly different note. How do you find the wetsuit. I know you had a few problems in transition lately but apart from that would you recommend it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

*Also no expert*!

Keeping your elbows reasonably high which is good. Decent push at the last quarter.

Why are you breathing every 5?

turning your head before you roll your body to breathe could be a root cause, thus lifting it and dropping your legs, needing to kick harder to stay balanced, increased effort and rushed catch to gather, missing the leverage you ought to be getting with that reach. Its a cycle that seems to be trying to keep up with itself rather than balanced.

Suggest focusing on your hips and rotating them for balance. And quit the hypoxic stuff for a while

Ceepo wrote: »
    On a slightly different note. How do you find the wetsuit. I know you had a few problems in transition lately but apart from that would you recommend it. Thanks

Wetsuit is very good, good movement around the shoulders. Not too much lift in the legs (which suits better swimmers). There's a world of difference between just putting it on quickly, and spending 5 mins to ensure a good fit, though.

Zip has been a pain in the ass, getting stuck in 3 races now. The problem is you need help getting the zip in, and I think people haven't been pulling the zip fully into place before zipping down. I had my daughter zip it in and check it was fully in last night, and seemed to come off easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

lack of symmetry and grace.

*Also no expert*!

Keeping your elbows reasonably high which is good. Decent push at the last quarter.

Why are you breathing every 5?

turning your head before you roll your body to breathe could be a root cause, thus lifting it and dropping your legs, needing to kick harder to stay balanced, increased effort and rushed catch to gather, missing the leverage you ought to be getting with that reach. Its a cycle that seems to be trying to keep up with itself rather than balanced.

Suggest focusing on your hips and rotating them for balance. And quit the hypoxic stuff for a while

Good analysis, thanks. BE5 because breathing with the tether causes body to drop (no vertical lift from water flowing under body). In fact the tether isn't ideal for analysis as legs need to work harder to stop from sinking (balance and snaking are also issues).

I might try again with pull bouy and centre snorkle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Wetsuit is very good, good movement around the shoulders. Not too much lift in the legs (which suits better swimmers). There's a world of difference between just putting it on quickly, and spending 5 mins to ensure a good fit, though.

Zip has been a pain in the ass, getting stuck in 3 races now. The problem is you need help getting the zip in, and I think people haven't been pulling the zip fully into place before zipping down. I had my daughter zip it in and check it was fully in last night, and seemed to come off easy enough.

Thanks I am on the look out for a new suit at the moment and considering trying on to check for fit. Have a Zone 3 Aspire at the Mo but it past it sell buy date now.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You suffer the same as me Kurt. Left arm pulling wide, not using lats on that side for power but relying on shoulder strength, and your kick is almost the same as mine - too wide, too deep, and not balanced. This could be a video of me if I squinted! Right side looks purposeful in comparison.

Was this taken at B2R or did you fly over to Dory's swimnasium? :)

MojoMaker wrote: »
    You suffer the same as me Kurt. Left arm pulling wide, not using lats on that side for power but relying on shoulder strength, and your kick is almost the same as mine - too wide, too deep, and not balanced. This could be a video of me if I squinted! Right side looks purposeful in comparison.

Was this taken at B2R or did you fly over to Dory's swimnasium? :)

Food for thought there all right, thanks!

I have a paddling pool out the back yard just deep enough to swim in, and an elastic tether, with a Samsung S5 waterproof phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

By the way, when I make those comments I make them from a position of empathy rather than having a critical eye - I would be quite happy with your recent swim times so something's clearly working for you. As Interested spent the winter telling me, when it finally does click you will disappear out of sight, and all the training is about moving closer to the point where it 'clicks'. On the basis that form = balance, and balance = basis of speed, then all the training is about achieving form and then holding form with endurance.

If anyone else is keen maybe we could get a few folks together for a stroke analysis session somewhere? I am certainly overdue a new assessment. A waterproof phone might be all we need to get a basic session together?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

It's difficult to tell but are you holding your breath a little on the first 2 strokes after you breath. It's like you only exhale in the couple of strokes before you take a breath. Hard to tell though.

pgibbo wrote: »
    It's difficult to tell but are you holding your breath a little on the first 2 strokes after you breath. It's like you only exhale in the couple of strokes before you take a breath. Hard to tell though.

Well spotted! Yes I was holding breath back... breathing with the tether is difficult as you sink when turning for air, so I was trying to limit that.

Anyway, here is take 2, with breathing taken out of the equation, and a better angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Not that I'm qualified to give an opinion, but I think the clip needs to be longer than 30 seconds, and in it you should swim at a range of different intensities. We might see where your stroke starts to break down as the effort increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

zico10 wrote: »
    Not that I'm qualified to give an opinion, but I think the clip needs to be longer than 30 seconds, and in it you should swim at a range of different intensities. We might see where your stroke starts to break down as the effort increases.

also tethered swimming != endless pool != swimming

tunney wrote: »
    also tethered swimming != endless pool != swimming

Yes very limited in effect alright- however this is the first time I've seen my underwater stroke, in that respect its been useful. I've been trying to eliminate a slight crossover for a while now- how do you view the stroke in that regard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Where you swimming at a fast pace?

Maybe it's the angle of the camera but your body looks low in the water.
    As your right arm enters your legs separate outwards suggesting you're rotating too much. You can see the difference on you left side - less rotate and legs stay together.

Try not to kick so deep, keep the movement shallow and faster rate.

Arm appear to be entering the water downwards and thus you are starting the catch phase late and missing a lot of water. Try to enter your arm just after your elbow and finish the extension just under the water and start pulling from the top, not 1/4 way down.

Once your head comes back in the water breath out straight away, don't hold your breath. Only breath in when your head lifts - don't breath out during this phase. Breath during recovery and get your head back in the water before your arm enters.

Try to get a view from all sides. Got mine done 2yrs ago and gives you a great insight!
    I'll post here if you would like to see it OP.

• Advertisement

okane1 wrote: »
    Where you swimming at a fast pace?

Maybe it's the angle of the camera but your body looks low in the water.
    As your right arm enters your legs separate outwards suggesting you're rotating too much. You can see the difference on you left side - less rotate and legs stay together.

Try not to kick so deep, keep the movement shallow and faster rate.

Arm appear to be entering the water downwards and thus you are starting the catch phase late and missing a lot of water. Try to enter your arm just after your elbow and finish the extension just under the water and start pulling from the top, not 1/4 way down.

Once your head comes back in the water breath out straight away, don't hold your breath. Only breath in when your head lifts - don't breath out during this phase. Breath during recovery and get your head back in the water before your arm enters.

Try to get a view from all sides. Got mine done 2yrs ago and gives you a great insight!
    I'll post here if you would like to see it OP.

Thanks, thats very useful. Especially the part about starting the catch late.

Unsure of pace as it was tethered- but effort was about 750m pace I'd imagine. We'll be doing proper pool-eye in a couple of months.

I'd love to see your video, please do post it!

Thanks, thats very useful. Especially the part about starting the catch late.

Unsure of pace as it was tethered- but effort was about 750m pace I'd imagine. We'll be doing proper pool-eye in a couple of months.

I'd love to see your video, please do post it!

From 2yrs ago thanks to Peter Kern!
    (Note I had/have a lazy kick!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYC-w-zmrp8&feature=youtu.be

okane1 wrote: »
    From 2yrs ago thanks to Peter Kern!
    (Note I had/have a lazy kick!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYC-w-zmrp8&feature=youtu.be

Cheers, very useful, and I see what you mean about the entry.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I have been repeatedly criticised for having stiff hands; yours look rigid too, but noone here seems to take issue with that? Just curious as to whether relaxed hands are important?

I go with relaxed but firm hands. Relaxed to feel the water and let them adjusted based on moving water but firm to ensure you get maximum thrust through each stroke. Fingers are relaxed, not squeezing together
    Certainly not fixed/solid.

Oryx wrote: »
    I have been repeatedly criticised for having stiff hands; yours look rigid too, but noone here seems to take issue with that? Just curious as to whether relaxed hands are important?

If you slow down the second youtube vid I posted above you'll get a better idea of what is happening with the hands- they are paddles so need to be large and firm, but the flexibility is in the wrist as the "S" shape is made underwater.

(although I think I'm losing power at the end by exiting sideways)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

Oryx wrote: »

Stiff / rigid hands are one of the multitude of causes under investigation at the moment as the cause of my arm and hand problems. My swimming is massively curtailed as a result (15k per week>>>>>>2,700m last week :()

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Bit more glide at the front?. Obviously only when there is no current out its with you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

If you slow down the second youtube vid I posted above you'll get a better idea of what is happening with the hands- they are paddles so need to be large and firm, but the flexibility is in the wrist as the "S" shape is made underwater.

(although I think I'm losing power at the end by exiting sideways)

It is an interesting point.

I was pulled up years ago about having strong but relaxed hands ie my fingers slightly spread and not locked rigidly together like yours in the vid.

It made no difference to my stroke which way my hands were but there was something I read a couple of years later that having relaxed fingers meant you had more hand surface area gripping the water and more turbulence between the fingers increasing the catch effect.

Could be a load of rubbish but I swim relaxed hands with strong wrists now. Evidence that suits my style, quite likely :)

• Advertisement

Mr Tango wrote: »
    Bit more glide at the front?. Obviously only when there is no current out its with you

Definitely! This is what okane is saying too. I tried it tonight in the sea, seemed to work well.

My glide shortened (or disappeared) a while back when I was trying to get EVF, but I could see today just how much of the catch I was missing without it.

Advertisement