Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate my Stroke

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Here's a nice article and video on swimming mechanics that distinguish pool technique from open water technique. One thing I've been told as I am trying to become a better-than-crap open water swimmer is to use the "band-only" in practice to force less glide, quicker turnover, and stronger finish of the stroke. Please note: band-only is not for everyone....but it is something I have started using.

http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/multisport-zone/multisport-lab/articles/develop-world-class-open-water-swim-mechanics-051811.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Here's a nice article and video on swimming mechanics that distinguish pool technique from open water technique. One thing I've been told as I am trying to become a better-than-crap open water swimmer is to use the "band-only" in practice to force less glide, quicker turnover, and stronger finish of the stroke. Please note: band-only is not for everyone....but it is something I have started using.

http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/multisport-zone/multisport-lab/articles/develop-world-class-open-water-swim-mechanics-051811.aspx

Great video, thanks for posting! And you are quite right, its not all about the glide (particularly in choppy conditions). FWIW I outperform in rougher seas, probably because the earlier entry is more suited to it. There's a lad in the Asgard club I watch in the pool. His forté is sea swimming though, thats where he excels. The contrast in his stroke compared to the more "natural" pool swimmers... he has a much choppier stroke, his torso practically undulates as he moves, and his hand entry is an almost 45˚as he "scoops" the water with violence. It's very different to the others, but he is a demon in the sea.

The more techniques you can apply to the OW conditions, the better, I suppose. The night before each race I say a prayer- "please Saint Neptune can you ensure just the right amount of chop to make it interesting, but also benign enough so TI won't call off the race". Chop suits my "natural" stroke. But in calmer conditions I get passed more easily. Need to be aware of the extra glide for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I outperform in rougher seas

Maybe this is part of the reason you were unhappy with your swims in Carlow and Athy? Both would have been calm with no chop, might explain why you found people pulling away from you on the downstream sections if they had a longer glide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Excellent skill is the ability to adjust your stroke based on the water around you. Going from a nice gliding pool stroke (calm conditions) into a very quick/fast turn over in rough conditions. Look at water polo players for an ideal of this style of swimming physical swim stroke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

joey100 wrote: »
    Maybe this is part of the reason you were unhappy with your swims in Carlow and Athy? Both would have been calm with no chop, might explain why you found people pulling away from you on the downstream sections if they had a longer glide.
    Quite true, this is what had me first questioning aspects of my stroke. Getting left for dust downstream in Athy (after gaining ground upstream) was an eye opener. Greater glide (and stronger rear exit) would have helped here.
    okane1 wrote: »
    Excellent skill is the ability to adjust your stroke based on the water around you. Going from a nice gliding pool stroke (calm conditions) into a very quick/fast turn over in rough conditions. Look at water polo players for an ideal of this style of swimming physical swim stroke.
    Absolutely, swimming to suit conditions are what its all about. A water polo change of pace going around bouys would be useful too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Absolutely, swimming to suit conditions are what its all about. A water polo change of pace going around bouys would be useful too!

Coming from that sport it's of great benefit. Be able to hold your pace with your head up sighting is very useful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Glide - it's a dirty word

Advertisement