Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help: Childcare Jobs Australia

Options
  • 30-06-2015 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I really want to go to Australia for a year or so to work in childcare in Australia. I was thinking about Sydney or Melbourne area.

I have just finished my BA in UCC in Early Years and Childhood Studies and would love to gain experience outside of Ireland.

Does any one have any advice for me on how to go about doing this? All help will be appreciated!!

Thanks in advanced! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

You'll need a working with children clearance certificate. Depending on what state you are in, the requirements may be different. For NSW, look here:

http://www.kidsguardian.nsw.gov.au/working-with-children/working-with-children-check

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

As pete said you will need a working with children check in whatever state you choose to work in.

A good friend of mine did that course in UCC (followed by a HDip in Primary Teaching), she had no problem getting work in a childcare centre in Melbourne when she was there for a few months before she could get in Teaching.

At the time of working there she was on a Work Holiday Visa so that wasn't an issue, i am also pretty sure they sponsored some Irish girls that stayed on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Has munch is correct if you can work with troubled kids, there is work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nibz2015

That all sounds brilliant and I am so grateful for the information.

I was just wondering who would I be best seeing in Ireland to organize a visa and recommendations on when would be best to go and accommodation and all that?

I feel completely clueless about all this but it has always been a dream of mine once I got through college!

TIA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Have a read through the FAQ Sticky

That should answer some of the questions that come up frequently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

If you are 30 or younger, you simply apply for a WHV 417 (working holiday visa) through the australian immigration website http://www.border.gov.au

IT costs about €420 or something. Do ti directly. Cheaper than through USIT or whoever wants to fill in the forms for you.

The 417 will get a 12 month visa to live and work in Australia. The restrictions are you can only work for 1 employer for 6 months at the most.

If you decided to work for 88 days in a particular specified job and/or in a particular rural area thats suitable you can be granted an additional 12 months that can be taken when the initial 12 months ends, or any other time before you are older than 30 years of age.

It's winter here at the minute (yes, it does get cold in places….2 or 3 degrees tonight in Sydney) so not a popular time for people to come travel. August/September is spring time here so easier to climates yourself rather than coming in December or January when it can be 40+ degrees.

The economy is slowing down here so it isn't like the boom ties of even 1 or 2 years ago. Sydney is still busy with lots of construction work and has knock on effects for other work. Places like Perth are feeling the pinch I imagine.

With the work you are looking for, you may find it easy to find work in a rural area with Indigenous children. You'll probably qualify for a 2nd year WHV and see a different aspect to Australia that most people won't ever see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nibz2015

Thank you so much! this is super helpful to me!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Shee711

I also just completed the same course in UCC, and am hoping to be heading to OZ soon. When are you going?

Advertisement