Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford city boundary extension

Options
  • 30-06-2015 10:58pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

So recently there was talk about Waterford extending its city boundary to include ferrybank and belview in South Kilkenny. In fairness I can see their point but I'm a blowin to Kilkenny so don't know what Kilkenny people think of this. So let me know your thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

You can not go from being a Kilkenny person to a Waterford person overnight, it would take a lot of therapy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

hi5 wrote: »
    You can not go from being a Kilkenny person to a Waterford person overnight, it would take a lot of therapy.

And a very big chip to be carved on your shoulder ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Good points, but both areas Ferrybank and Bellview, would they be better represented by WCC. Do our councillors especially the city ones really care about south Kilkenny. KCC seem to have more of a focus the city region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

South Kilkenny vote Fianna Fail, waterford can have to the lot of it, Ballyhale onwards.

catbear wrote: »
    South Kilkenny vote Fianna Fail, waterford can have to the lot of it, Ballyhale onwards.

That was my thinking. They elected Gombeen Bobby Alyward yet again so TBH I wouldn't have a huge issue if they were carved off to Waterford or Wexford for their voting. They tend to have more links with Waterford or New Ross for work, schools or shopping than they would with Kilkenny.
    And I would have far greater links with say Carlow, Laois and even south Kildare than I would with south Kilkenny. I never go there for anything really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

Looking for hurlers, are they?

What I dont like is the whole anti -Kilkenny thing in waterford. I dont get it, they barely register on my radar I have to say. I never hear the place mentioned bar people going to WIT or a day at the beach. I think part of this is feeding in on that sad sentiment to garner votes. Waterford immense problems are far far deeper than changing a boundary.
    I'd say South Kk people will fight this tooth and nail as any of them I've ever met are staunch Kilkenny people, much more so than I would be.

It's all jealousy the anti-Kilkenny thing;
    1. Hurling.
    2. Prosperous and beautiful city
    3. Tourism numbers compared to theirs
    4. They call us 'rob-a-jobs' for crossing the bridge and working in Waterford.
    5. 'Taking' their women, (they still think its the Viking era)
    6. Hurling
    7. Hurling
    8. Hurling
    9. We have bigger willies
    *I made up number 9

The funny thing is I love Waterford and like to see them do well. Neighbouring county with a beautiful coastline and nice people. The ant-kk thing is ridiculous.

road_high wrote: »
    What I dont like is the whole anti -Kilkenny thing in waterford.
    The problem is they're exposed to South Kilkenny and I totally share their resentment.
    Maybe Wexford will them.

• Advertisement

mydogjack wrote: »
    1. Hurling.
    6. Hurling
    7. Hurling
    8. Hurling
    *I made up number 9

Any town or city that lies on a border has that anti thing going on. It's just good old fashioned rivalry.

The problem is they're exposed to South Kilkenny and I totally share their resentment.
    Maybe Wexford will them.

Ah they're very nice people. Hate to generalise but a lot of South Kilkenny is very rural, staunchly Roman catholic and traditional.

Ah they're very nice people. Hate to generalise but a lot of South Kilkenny is very rural, staunchly Roman catholic and traditional.
    By traditional do you mean inbred?

I swear it's the worst i've ever encountered. Their version of mixing the gene pool is marrying the cousin from across the valley rather than the once next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shane07

Hopefully once and for all this issue will be sorted and common sense will prevail, Im currently living in the area of Ferrybank that is under KK council and they do not give a dam about the area, it is totally neglected of services and its upkeep leaves a lot to be desired! Waterford is developing in a unbalanced manor with most of the development taking place on the southside of the city, it needs to be counter balanced! and the best way for this to happen is if the whole area within the City Bypass in Co Kilkenny to come under Waterford City Councils rule! The building of Ferrybank shopping centre and its huge size went against all proper planning guidlines and this just shows KK council only sees the area as a rates generator in which it spends elsewhere in Co KK. Hopefully this extension goes ahead and the area can get the services it deserves!

Shane07 wrote: »
    Hopefully once and for all this issue will be sorted and common sense will prevail, Im currently living in the area of Ferrybank that is under KK council and they do not give a dam about the area, it is totally neglected of services and its upkeep leaves a lot to be desired! Waterford is developing in a unbalanced manor with most of the development taking place on the southside of the city, it needs to be counter balanced! and the best way for this to happen is if the whole area within the City Bypass in Co Kilkenny to come under Waterford City Councils rule! The building of Ferrybank shopping centre and its huge size went against all proper planning guidlines and this just shows KK council only sees the area as a rates generator in which it spends elsewhere in Co KK. Hopefully this extension goes ahead and the area can get the services it deserves!

Interesting take on things, is that a general feeling diwn that way?

I swear it's the worst i've ever encountered. Their version of mixing the gene pool is marrying the cousin from across the valley rather than the once next door.

Little bit harsh there, don't ya think?
    Some very decent people in South KK, I reckon.

kikel wrote: »
    Interesting take on things, is that a general feeling diwn that way?

I'd say from Waterford people that have moved across to Kilkenny and now want a Waterford address, yes!
    If the place is as shambolic as claimed, why the pull to move there? Also, the Kilkenny "side" ironically has always been one of the more desirable parts of waterford to live in!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

By traditional do you mean inbred?

The line has been crossed there.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

I'd say from Waterford people that have moved across to Kilkenny and now want a Waterford address, yes!
    If the place is as shambolic as claimed, why the pull to move there? Also, the Kilkenny "side" ironically has always been one of the more desirable parts of waterford to live in!

Its not really. Its just cheaper to live there as there is not much over there.

• Advertisement

Its not really. Its just cheaper to live there as there is not much over there.

Have you figures to show that? Traditionally co Kilkenny has been more expensive than its neighbours for housing and rents, so I doubt it's the "chape" houses attracting people.
    Waterford City houses are really cheap the odd time I looked on daft etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

mydogjack wrote: »
    1. Hurling.
    6. Hurling
    7. Hurling
    8. Hurling
    *I made up number 9

Ah now, thats it, your Tramore pass has been revoked, you,ll have to spend the rest of the summer sun bathing on the muddy banks of the suir,(your side of coarse)especially over that willie remark:pac:

But seriously, I really dont think there is any real hatred, It seems to be mainly just banter down here on both sides,and thats mostly GAA related. I have friends over ferrybank way and in some of the newer estates, some are a mix of he,s from kilkenny and she,s from waterford,and vise versa, we are all melding into one really

gw80 wrote: »
    Ah now, thats it, your Tramore pass has been revoked, you,ll have to spend the rest of the summer sun bathing on the muddy banks of the suir,(your side of coarse)especially over that willie remark:pac:

But seriously, I really dont think there is any real hatred, It seems to be mainly just banter down here on both sides,and thats mostly GAA related. I have friends over ferrybank way and in some of the newer estates, some are a mix of he,s from kilkenny and she,s from waterford,and vise versa, we are all melding into one really

If you out in Dublin/galway or somewhere far away from where you live and someone's asks where are you from? What do you reply? I'm from a place called ferrybank or Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shane07

As posters have stated here its mostly GAA related banter ect,which should not stop the proper governing of the city,Ferrybank is growing and needs to be ruled from Waterford where it can provide the proper services as its on the citys doorstep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I'm from Waterford born and bred, my Mothers from Callan. Just so you'll know where I coming from, read this thread with interest, ye should read the equivalent thread on the Waterford forum, nowhere near as balanced or logical! weird.
    I have read KK Council response linked here and am surprised with it, as they must not have read the Ministers guidelines for the 6 month study.
    A killkenny man will always be that no matter what Council runs the area, my mother still Flys the black and amber every September whether anyone likes it or not, and she's 88 now.
    I would imagine if it goes through and it should in my opinion, it will be to the new ring road only, a logical physical barrier that is in situ.
    The most ironic thing will be if it does Waterford Council will have to deal with the giant unopened shopping Centre they objected to!

Just had a read of the Waterford thread. Here is is.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057448776/1

I think the admins should merge these threads and move it to its final resting place in the Waterford forum.

kikel wrote: »
    Just had a read of the Waterford thread. Here is is.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057448776/1

I think the admins should merge these threads and move it to its final resting place in the Waterford forum.

???????????? meaning you don't care one way or another?

wellboytoo wrote: »
    ???????????? meaning you don't care one way or another?

I was just taking the p1ss. I'm a blowin to Kilkenny so don't have any passionate feelings about keeping it. I've lived in waterford as a student and can see the logic in letting then administer the area of Ferrybank and bellview.

I think KKCC are one of the better councils in a lot of ways but when they make a bad decision they can bulldoze it through at any consequence. They definitely are city orientated.

The waterford thread seems to have a number of number of people from Ferrybank and they seem in favor of letting waterford administer the area. If it is good for the people of the area and they agree let them reap the benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

What benefits would the proposed extension bestow upon the residents of South Kilkenny? I can't think of any.

• Advertisement

jelutong wrote: »
    What benefits would the proposed extension bestow upon the residents of South Kilkenny? I can't think of any.

To the people within the proposed area on the ground it would be very simple things,like the road sweeper that comes around every week would not stop at an invisible point leaving litter and dirt that is never swept or picked.

Advertisement