Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford city boundary extension

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

wellboytoo wrote: »
    To the people within the proposed area on the ground it would be very simple things,like the road sweeper that comes around every week would not stop at an invisible point leaving litter and dirt that is never swept or picked.
    I'm from the KK side of the boundary, but very much at risk of being Waterford if the proposal goes through. I see few benefits. People say that KCC does nothing for us in the extreme South. I think they do neither more nor less for us than they do for any other part of the county. All councils will put their more visible facilities in the larger urban areas, whether that be Waterford City or Kilkenny City. What does either council do for Mullinavat or Passage East, for example? Many people complain about their local council whether they're on the border or elsewhere.

The main change that I think we would see around Ferrybank would be a big push for more development on what is now the Kilkenny side - more houses etc. For selfish reasons, admittedly, that's not something I wish to see.

If change does come, I would also like to have some way that we could remain "Kilkenny". I do regard myself as being from County Kilkenny and don't want that to change. I accept, however, that we have to move with the times and that if there are fair, logical reasons for a change, we'll probably have to accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

This is madness, next thing there'll be intercounty marriages!
    Someone think of the children!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

The main change that I think we would see around Ferrybank would be a big push for more development on what is now the Kilkenny side - more houses etc. For selfish reasons, admittedly, that's not something I wish to see.

Very little risk of that I would imagine, it is practically the only place I Waterford where there was over development during the boom and still has the bulk of the unfinished estates, again totally reckless planning for development charges without thought of the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Very little risk of that I would imagine, it is practically the only place I Waterford where there was over development during the boom and still has the bulk of the unfinished estates, again totally reckless planning for development charges without thought of the consequences.

It's Co.Kilkenny I tells ya!

To be fair to KCC, everyone was saying that more housing was needed in Ferrybank and that all development shouldn't be on the Waterford side, so I don't think that they can be blamed too much for the residential development. They have also effectively dezoned a lot of land in recent years AFAIK.

The retail developments are a different story, however. If the shopping centre had opened, it would have had a detrimental effect on Waterford City and was clearly contrary to good planning as well as being far too big. It's unfortunate that development charges became such an important revenue tool for all local authorities and KCC weren't the only council to take a "child in a sweet shop" approach to planning permission at times. They simply couldn't resist the temptation of all that lovely loot that they would rake in.

It's Co.Kilkenny I tells ya!

To be fair to KCC, everyone was saying that more housing was needed in Ferrybank and that all development shouldn't be on the Waterford side, so I don't think that they can be blamed too much for the residential development. They have also effectively dezoned a lot of land in recent years AFAIK.

The retail developments are a different story, however. If the shopping centre had opened, it would have had a detrimental effect on Waterford City and was clearly contrary to good planning as well as being far too big. It's unfortunate that development charges became such an important revenue tool for all local authorities and KCC weren't the only council to take a "child in a sweet shop" approach to planning permission at times. They simply couldn't resist the temptation of all that lovely loot that they would rake in.
    Could not agree more , parts of the coastal areas of Wexford are totally destroyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Well,according to the new eircode addresses, Glenmore and Slieverue are now in Waterford..

https://finder.eircode.ie/#/map

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭jmcc

hi5 wrote: »
    Well,according to the new eircode addresses, Glenmore and Slieverue are now in Waterford..

Welcome to X91. :) Have any KKers found the X91 and R95 border?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

hi5 wrote: »

Waterford postal area, where no doubt it has been for ages. Note the postal address just says Waterford, not Co. Waterford. Same happens all over the country.
    e.g Crettyard postoffice on the Laois/Kilkenny border is addressed as Crettyard, Carlow even though it's in Co. Laois, 15km from Carlow and only 7km from Castlecomer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Waterford postal area, where no doubt it has been for ages. Note the postal address just says Waterford, not Co. Waterford. Same happens all over the country.
    e.g Crettyard postoffice on the Laois/Kilkenny border is addressed as Crettyard, Carlow even though it's in Co. Laois, 15km from Carlow and only 7km from Castlecomer.

Doesn't the same sort of thing happen in Johnstown in Kilkenny, its addressed to Thurles?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Cabaal wrote: »
    Doesn't the same sort of thing happen in Johnstown in Kilkenny, its addressed to Thurles?

Yea via Thurles I think. Same with places north of Ballyragget are via Portlaoise. Just a postal thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

that new postal system won't work, it's too convoluted.

Area code would have sufficed but this margin for error is actually increased with this system.

Give a letter in the code but the right address, will the letter make it past the sorting machines?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mountcisco

jmcc wrote: »
    Welcome to X91. :) Have any KKers found the X91 and R95 border?

Regards...jmcc

One place is below Ballyhale at the turn-off for Kiltorcan. Kiltorcan side of road is Castlebanny Mullinavat Waterford X91 and the other side of the road is Coolmeen Ballyhale Kilkenny R95. I know it's sad but I had a free half hour!:D
    Also, Borris Co. Carlow is Borris Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

catbear wrote: »
    South Kilkenny vote Fianna Fail, waterford can have to the lot of it, Ballyhale onwards.

Andrew McGuiness

Let me just leave that there.....

For me, South Kilkenny vote locally. For the same reasons many in Ferrybank would prefer to be under WaterfordCC, i.e. no one north of Ballyhale gives a sh*t about it. As demonstrated by the opinions shown here.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

mydogjack wrote: »
    Looking for hurlers, are they?

The GAA post only came in at post no7. Surprised it took that long

Public meeting last night in Slieverue on this very issue.
    http://kclr96fm.com/as-it-happened-waterford-kilkenny-boundary-review-consultation/

wellboy76 wrote: »
    The GAA post only came in at post no7. Surprised it took that long

I'm sure that person was using tongue and cheek- go find a sense of humour ;)

road_high wrote: »
    Public meeting last night in Slieverue on this very issue.
    http://kclr96fm.com/as-it-happened-waterford-kilkenny-boundary-review-consultation/

Politicians shouting over my dead body and making promises........ now where did I hear that before?

Shane07 wrote: »
    Hopefully once and for all this issue will be sorted and common sense will prevail, Im currently living in the area of Ferrybank that is under KK council and they do not give a dam about the area, it is totally neglected of services and its upkeep leaves a lot to be desired! Waterford is developing in a unbalanced manor with most of the development taking place on the southside of the city, it needs to be counter balanced! and the best way for this to happen is if the whole area within the City Bypass in Co Kilkenny to come under Waterford City Councils rule! The building of Ferrybank shopping centre and its huge size went against all proper planning guidlines and this just shows KK council only sees the area as a rates generator in which it spends elsewhere in Co KK. Hopefully this extension goes ahead and the area can get the services it deserves!

Were you from Waterford originally?

road_high wrote: »
    I'm sure that person was using tongue and cheek- go find a sense of humour ;)

Ah no actually there was spit flying at a rate of knots whilst saying it

Politicians shouting over my dead body and making promises........ now where did I hear that before?

Well they were hardly going to say "no, please take away my votes to another constituency" :rolleyes:
    There's something like 5000 votes involved in that part of Kilkenny so I doubt they're going to let them slide away too easily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pat Kenny on Newstalk will be talking about this between now and 12.30, on catch up soon after the show ends if you miss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

On now

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

<iframe class='nt_media_embed' frameborder='0' height='60' style='width: 100% !important; height: 60px !important;' src='//www.newstalk.com/player/embed.php?mediaType=podcast&id=115543'></iframe>

Listened to the podcast above of the report on The Pat Kenny Show on Newstalk; you would think from the way the reporter described it and the vox pop's that everyone in the area including Ferrybank was against this when that is patently not true!
    Carry out a plebiscite in each towns-land under consideration seems the most democratic solution. IMO all of Ferrybank would switch, Slieverue would stay in KK and the Port of Waterford restored to the City as they are symbiotic. Not sure about Mullinabro, Newrath, Grannagh etc. could go either way.
    Then everyone happy, democracy at work, no?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

<iframe class='nt_media_embed' frameborder='0' height='60' style='width: 100% !important; height: 60px !important;' src='//www.newstalk.com/player/embed.php?mediaType=podcast&id=115543'></iframe>

Listened to the podcast above of the report on The Pat Kenny Show on Newstalk; you would think from the way the reporter described it and the vox pop's that everyone in the area including Ferrybank was against this when that is patently not true!
    Carry out a plebiscite in each towns-land under consideration seems the most democratic solution. IMO all of Ferrybank would switch, Slieverue would stay in KK and the Port of Waterford restored to the City as they are symbiotic. Not sure about Mullinabro, Newrath, Grannagh etc. could go either way.
    Then everyone happy, democracy at work, no?

...it would have to be in Waterford in the first place, they built it on a more suitable site well into Co Kilkenny, to allow Waterford city develop the docks area and make it attractive (which hasn't happened).
    The "locals" that are/were for this, are invariably Waterford city people that moved across and want the vanity saying they live in Waterford i.e. the lady slagging she could have a new W reg car.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Plebicite should decide it no matter if its voted on by blow-ins from across the Suir, born & bred Ferrybankers (for or against moving), dyed-in-the-wool Kilkenny people, complete outsiders resident in the areas in question - shouldn't matter. Have the vote, townland by townsland, act on the results assuming any vote to change then no more about it for a generation.
    As for the port; the port is Waterford and Waterford is the port. The city was founded on trade and shipping as a port. Just because it expands downriver doesn't make it a thing apart. I'm sure, for example, Rotterdam started off as a small city quayside concern too but expanded and moved downriver too, possibly taking in land from neighboring rural local authority areas (:eek:) It's still all called Rotterdam unlike the Belview Port, Kilkenny/Port of Waterford nonsense we have here IMO.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Plebicite should decide it no matter if its voted on by blow-ins from across the Suir, born & bred Ferrybankers (for or against moving), dyed-in-the-wool Kilkenny people, complete outsiders resident in the areas in question - shouldn't matter. Have the vote, townland by townsland, act on the results assuming any vote to change then no more about it for a generation.

I think you are right there. It's the way it should be. But alas, it's not going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

The Invasion of Kilkenny will be Swift and Successful. It's people will be subjugated and we will consolidate our power. We will appoint an intern leader of the south Kilkenny reigion, It is likely this person will be Johnus Mullanus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

This is only for the people of this area to decide but if it was me that was living in the area,I wouldn't give a toss if I was in Waterford or Kilkenny.

It's all to do with fecking hurling IMO but you can't just decide if you want to stay or go to another county based on this alone.

I had someone come to me to sign a petition to help save Kilkenny,but I didn't sign it cause I don't feel strong about it and it doesn't concern me.

• Advertisement

Arrogance beyond belief and if ever you wanted to see the attitude of Waterford towards Kilkenny and in general the rest of the S East one only has to read this absolute rubbish; you'd think if you were trying to rob another party of a county and subsume it into your own you'd at least try a little diplomacy, but no;
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/202788/Waterford-goes-on-the-attack-and.html

Advertisement