Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban Escape Atago 5 man tent (Halfords).

Options
  • 01-07-2015 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Have seriously been looking at this tent in Halfords priced @ €215, but the problem is there's very few independent reviews on the internet to say whether it's a good in, or an "el'cheapo" that isn't worth the effort!

The few reviews that are online are all Halfords own reviews, (reviewing their own brand) which ain't much help in making a choice for a family tent required for a two week holiday . . .

Can anybody say where Urban Escape fit into the quality tent pecking order? Are they bottom of the pile, or are they a decent tent brand like Vango or Outwell?

Curious camper.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

LordSutch wrote: »
    Have seriously been looking at this tent in Halfords priced @ €215, but the problem is there's very few independent reviews on the internet to say whether it's a good in, or an "el'cheapo" that isn't worth the effort!

The few reviews that are online are all Halfords own reviews, (reviewing their own brand) which ain't much help in making a choice for a family tent required for a two week holiday . . .

Can anybody say where Urban Escape fit into the quality tent pecking order? Are they bottom of the pile, or are they a decent tent brand like Vango or Outwell?

Curious camper.

Google: Urban Escape Atago 5 man tent

2nd & 3rd results are independent reviews... ukcampsite.ci.uk & independent.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

I bought this tent a few weeks ago. Halfords had 15% off tents at the time and I got another 10% off cos I'm insured with axa. It's huge inside and not that hard to put up. I'm planning on putting it up again this evening to check if a table will fit inside. I'll take some pics if you like and give you the internal dimensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Yes indeed, I would be very interested to hear how you get on.

Didn't get around to putting it up but Halfords UK told me the living area is about 200x365.

Here is when I put it up a few weeks ago, it wasn't pitched properly, I just wanted to see how to put it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Looks good.

What's your impression of size & quality?

• Advertisement

There's plenty of space inside and just back a bit from the door there's a zip to bring in an electrical cable. It seems good quality but we haven't slept in it yet. Putting it up can be awkward and a third person makes it much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 simpson80

Have been thinking about buying this too, it's only for 2 of us but want plenty of space if we were away for a few days. The price seems really good and reviews are pretty decent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Hi. I've been thinking about this tent too but I'm clueless about tents.
    Family want to try camping in a few campsites around Ireland and as first timers I don't want to spend a fortune on a tent and gear if it's not gonna be used. Two adults and two kids.
    Would I need to buy a footprint and carpet for this tent or is it fine the way it comes?
    Is it easy enough to put up for a newbie?
    Cheers

The footprint and carpet seem hard to get but unless you are going anywhere with rough ground I don't think you will need a footprint. It would keep the bottom cleaner though when it rains.

So we have got to the campsite and put it up. The pic of the bedroom is the bigger room and it's a double bed. Loads of room length wise too and the smaller room is plenty big as well. The table is 6 foot long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

We've got a Vango Woburn 400 and I thought it was massive for us, but that tent is giantious. LOL. Good stuff man, thats some space in there.

Looks good.
    Is it easy to put up?
    Torn between the Halford one or to spend a bit more on this vango http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vango-Farnham-500-Tunnel-Tent/dp/B00R4X43A4

It was easier than the first time haha. Here is the double bed in the smaller room

guil wrote: »
    It was easier than the first time haha. Here is the double bed in the smaller room

Looks the business. Do u think a blow up sofa would fit at the side between the bedrooms and porch?
    Like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intex-Person-Inflatable-Pull-68566/dp/B00AW7FQEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436535478&sr=8-1&keywords=Intex+inflatable+sofa

I was looking at something like that myself earlier. Yeah it would fit. The table I have is 180cm and there's about 4 inches either side of that

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭doogb

I was looking at buying the this tent too. Has anyone used it in the wind and rain ?

Does anyone know the bag dimensions and weight ?

We were in Tralee a few weeks ago and it lashed, strong winds too and there wasn't a bother on it. It weighs about 18kg and its roughly 70x50x35 depending on how you pack it. It opens like a suitcase.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Bought this couple months ago and used it twice so far.
    So far so good. Rained both times and no leaks. We have 4yr old and 1yr old so put them in big bedroom as travel cot takes up a good bit of room.

King size air bed just fits in small bedroom snugly!

Table, 3 chairs and cupboard fit easily in the living area and plenty of room around it.

Easy to take down and put up. Can nearly do it myself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 donegan246

hi all,,i have a urban escape 5 atago tent,,i know you cant buy an extension for it,but is there any kind
    of porch/canopy/shelter/extension off any other tent that will fit over of under the front small porch of the tent,,
    im just looking for an added shelter to go outside to cook or sit if its raining or to sunny,,(if only lol),,
    thanks,,

Advertisement