Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game breaking/ruining bugs/glitches/moments ?

Options
  • 01-07-2015 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Sorry for the convoluted title, wasn't sure what to put.

Anyways, I was playing Wolfenstein recently after waiting for it to come down in price for ages. I was really enjoying the game and got to a scene where I was escaping a prison, at a certain point the NPC who was meant to follow me and move as I cleared areas to progress the story just became stuck.
    I searched the level high and low in case there were extra enemies to kill....but to no avail.
    I restarted the checkpoint twice and the same bug happened. I was furious, and thought I'd have to replay the whole story to that point.
    Luckily the internet was on hand and it required starting the whole level, but this also meant goin through the story again.

But it got me thinking of other times this happened in games, and what about before there was widespread sharing of save files for PC or fixes or patches ?

Was there any bug/glitch or even moment (storyline, character death etc) that completely ruined a game you were enjoying and made you quit (even if only for while) ? (DS and DS2 Rage don't count :P )

Others I can remember from recent memory were Batman Arkham Origins (some glitch getting into a tower or across a bridge)

As for straight up taking a break (really long break) from a game , early resident evils and dmc's might be up there.
    Those survival horror games with puzzles. I'd get infuriated when I got stuck at a puzzle, turn off the computer in rage and come back the next week.
    But then it's even worse, because you forgot what exactly you needed to do and what you had done to that point.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

XCom Emeny Unknown has a glitch in the final room of the final mission that made me have to restart the hour long level to get around it

Pokémon Pearl I was stuck on one of the members of the Elite Four, who are essentially the final boss. Restarted the 40 hour long campaign to beat them with a new team.

Worst in recent memory was Fables 3 , many of us I recall got stuck in Reavers Mansion for a few weeks, and couldn't continue or worse had saves wiped. It was fixed but lion head have to have been one of the worst studios for patching their games, Fables 3 was still riddled with game breaking bugs they never patched like the demon door glitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The most recent example I can think of was The Last of Us. 6 or so hours in, the save corrupts. Didn't go near it for another month or so.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The entire BF4 campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

5uspect wrote: »
    The entire BF4 campaign.

That was brutal alright,and it still isn't fixed i think, your save can disappear at any time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

In arkham city on xbox I had a glitch where if you didn't quit to main menu before turning off the console your save corrupted. This happened to me about 15 hours in. Luckily I was enjoying it so much I didn't care about starting over.

In terms of leaving a game for a really long time in MGS3 I got tired of looking for the old sniper guy can't remember his name but when I came back to it 2 months later he'd died of old age.

Ant695 wrote: »
    In arkham city on xbox I had a glitch where if you didn't quit to main menu before turning off the console your save corrupted. This happened to me about 15 hours in. Luckily I was enjoying it so much I didn't care about starting over.

In terms of leaving a game for a really long time in MGS3 I got tired of looking for the old sniper guy can't remember his name but when I came back to it 2 months later he'd died of old age.

Ha that was The End, wasn't a bug it was by design. If you saved mid battle and left it a week he'd die of old age :D

Playing the second Metro game, absolutely enjoying it, when I fall out of the map. Annoyed, I run around to try and explore to see if there's a way out - some form of trigger. I accidentally run into an autosave location and anytime I went to play the game, I ended up out of the map.

Also on the Suffering on the PS2: finally get to the end boss, after enjoying the game so much. Get to his location. And nothing there. Run around. Still nothing. For whatever reason, the guy didn't spawn and I couldn't finish the game!!

Ha that was The End, wasn't a bug it was by design. If you saved mid battle and left it a week he'd die of old age :D

Yeah I remember someone telling me you could get the same result by moving the date forward as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The constant crashing on Fallout 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

The HUD disappearing in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Thing is, I thought it was part of the game, played on and saved it... Hadn't the head to go back and do what I'd done allover again...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 whiteramekin

stalker: clear sky. just generally stalker: clear sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Pretty sure nothing has ever come close to Hidden & Dangerous at launch. The original demo was pretty broken when it came out on cover discs but there was a general assumption that it would be in better shape on release awhile later.

How wrong we were. Seconds into loading the game there was a strong chance your team could either die instantly, fall into the ground and get stuck or randomly go prone and refuse to get up. Probably the most frustrating aspect was that the game was utterly ace so it most folk just persevered until the patches came out.

Generally speaking, the only bugs that really annoy me are progression blockers. I've been pretty lucky in that respect in more recent times with the only one I can think of being early on in Splatterhouse. Granted that was still probably the least frustrating thing about that game. :o

SiN was another game that springs to mind when I think of truly annoying bugs mainly, in this case, because of when it was released...
    One common complaint was the long load times, which measured in the minutes between each level, death, or quickload. With later patches the long load times were greatly shortened, although compatibility with old save games was lost, forcing players to play through the game from the beginning or use cheats to progress to their previous point in the game. Another major concern was the abundance of bugs and glitches littered throughout the game. Some of the more widely reported bugs include a total lack of sound in the game, an end of chapter boss which couldn't move, a level on one path through the game not being finishable and general game crashes. Although these bugs were quickly patched up, the damage of the negative publicity had already been done, especially with the majority of the gaming press reviewing the unpatched version. The patch was exceptionally large; at the time it was normal to expect a game patch file to be up to 5 MB in size, whereas SiN 's first patch was over 31 MB. This was at a time when a substantial percentage of internet access was via dial-up, causing Activision to take the unusual step of offering to send CDs containing the patch to any owners of the game who did not have sufficient bandwidth to download it from the Internet. A likely explanation for the multitude of bugs is that the game may have been rushed to meet the 1998 Christmas season, possibly as an attempt to beat Half-Life to market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I had problems with the 2nd Metro as well.

Was probably 75% through the game and suddenly all attempts to start it result in a crash.

Tried reinstalling etc, no good, they released some patch that killed it on my laptop. Never finished it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Polar101

Lord of the Rings: War in the north (I think it was called) - it wasn't even possible to finish the game as it had a bug that blocked progress later on in the game. It was triggered if you aborted a level mid-way a quest, or something similar.

Apparently there was a fix to play the quest online, but it was never actually fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Playing Mirror's Edge on PS3, there was a part where you had to enter a building and go up the stairs and every time I was halfway up the thing would crash and end up shutting down my PS3 completely. The only way I got around it in the end was by walking up the stairs backwards. Of course, there was other ways off getting into the building but tbf I was pretty ropey at playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Episode 3 of The Walking Dead. There was a bit where you exit a train cab and suddenly the camera goes all over the place, which means you can't select somewhere to go or move. Happened a few times until eventually it didn't and I could progress past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,567 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

5uspect wrote: »
    The entire BF4 campaign.

Ugh, bad memories of that. I remember spending 20 minutes in a speedboat trying to get back to the warship before realising it was glitching.

I gave up around the part with the water dam. I fell off a ledge while going through a save point, meaning every time I reloaded, I instantly fell to my death. Less than half a second window to press Esc too. When I realised I had to restart that campaign, I gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Just remembered my Borderlands 2 save. I had completed all the DLC and all the side missions I could, up to the final three storyline missions and my save got corrupted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

gizmo wrote: »
    Pretty sure nothing has ever come close to Hidden & Dangerous at launch. The original demo was pretty broken when it came out on cover discs but there was a general assumption that it would be in better shape on release awhile later.

How wrong we were. Seconds into loading the game there was a strong chance your team could either die instantly, fall into the ground and get stuck or randomly go prone and refuse to get up. Probably the most frustrating aspect was that the game was utterly ace so it most folk just persevered until the patches came out.

Generally speaking, the only bugs that really annoy me are progression blockers. I've been pretty lucky in that respect in more recent times with the only one I can think of being early on in Splatterhouse. Granted that was still probably the least frustrating thing about that game. :o

SiN was another game that springs to mind when I think of truly annoying bugs mainly, in this case, because of when it was released...

Yes!!!!!!! I remember one level of Hidden & Dangerous where you were escaping a work camp through the woods perused by two Nazi apcs. Glitch was the enemy troops spawned in trees and could shoot but could not be hit and was impossible to avoid them. Broke the game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Metal Gear Solid on the PS1, save file corrupted just before the last fight with Metal Gear Rex.

Still have never cleared it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭Corvo

Kiith wrote: »
    Metal Gear Solid on the PS1, save file corrupted just before the last fight with Metal Gear Rex.

Still have never cleared it :(

Get out, now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

KOTOR 2. Played a couple of hours and got to some city. There was a section of that city where the game froze up every time and i just gave up. Never went back to it.

Fallout 3 was and still is a nightmare for crashing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Soldner Secret Wars. The entire game is one big glitch

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/10/glory-be-soldner-is-free/

Seriously, this could give Ride to Hell a run for its money for most glitched game, except that Soldner is hilariously bad. When it first came out you could barely walk over bridges without them exploding from the impact of your footfalls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I got Alien Colonial Marines for 2 euro something in a sale, and I figured it surely was at least worth that despite the massive negative backlash.

First
    level, part where an NPC is supposed to trigger an event, but he kept getting stuck on the wrong side of a door. Restarted more than once, same thing happened each time.

Quit to desktop, go to steam, 'delete local files', 2 euro something wasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Polly Sonic

Skyrim. This arsehole called Farkas kept following me around and confronting me looking for a fight, a dialogue box would open and I'd have to skip through his little spiel every time. He just followed me everywhere and kept saying the same thing over and over and my character would stop what I was doing to engage with him. It was unplayable and I wasn't starting it over so I just traded it in.

I got Alien Colonial Marines for 2 euro something in a sale, and I figured it surely was at least worth that despite the massive negative backlash.

First
    level, part where an NPC is supposed to trigger an event, but he kept getting stuck on the wrong side of a door. Restarted more than once, same thing happened each time.

Quit to desktop, go to steam, 'delete local files', 2 euro something wasted.

Haven't played it on pc but played it on xbox and actually found it to be quite enjoyable. Not the best game ever but I got it for 5 euro and it definitely was worth that anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Polly Sonic

Came across what I think was a bug in Arkham Knight recently too during one of Two Face's bank raid missions. You must clear the room of enemies to proceed and leave the bank but one of them was outside the main entrance making it impossible to finish. Thankfully he wasn't there the next time I tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

gizmo wrote: »

Jesus, memories! I played this when I was 12 or 13 and you just brought it all back. I think I eventually got the patch off a PC Gamer disk or something, but I had already extensively played through the game, battling the bugs the whole time.

You're right, there was a fantastic game hidden underneath it all. But man, what a clusterf*ck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,436 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

ha! that's were I gave up as well so I can go back and play this one again. Nice! :D

Advertisement