Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media server share + UPC Cisco modem Multiple addresses

Options
  • 01-07-2015 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

A few questions regarding UPC Cisco Modem.

The default lan/gateway is set up as 192.168.0.1
    Smart TV, Xbox360, Sat Box, Second router all wired into this. WiFi also used by friends and guests + several phones and laptops and tablets.

All above devices on the network get 192.168.0.xxx

On the second router connected by Ethernet cable to the UPC router.

The Lan on the second router is 192.168.1.xxx
    Xbox One, Xbox 360, Two Smart TV's, WD My Cloud Media server(static ip at 192.168.1.3), Sat Box + additional WiFi phones, laptops and tablets.

The problem I have is sharing the media centre on both routers. Only the devices connected to the same router as the media centre can access it. Yet all devices can directly access both routers config screens through the gateway addresses.

I tried port forwarding to the static IP, I tried DMZ, I tried putting both routers on the same network (that was a disaster).

I also tried changing the subnet mask 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.xxx.xxx. Both routers rejected several addresses as invalid, although the media drive would accept the settings.

I am obviously barking up the wrong tree in my attempts at this so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have ordered a 8 way switch, which I will replace the second router with to enable the media drive on all devices, but ideally I would like to keep the drive behind the second router.

Also while playing with the network addresses, I noticed that the UPC router 192.168.0.1, can also be logged into through 192.168.100.1 and also through a CM IP of 10.84.xxx.xxx. Looking up CM IP, it looks like a backdoor address for UPC modems. On several occasions I have had netflix refuse to load on a smart tv with some AIP error. I spent ages trying to google a solution. Which went like, reset the app, reload, try, fail. Log out all devices through the browser, fail. Factory reset the TV, retune, reset up, still fail. I eventually discovered that the UPC router had its DNS servers changed. I always set either Google or Open DNS by default. The next time it happened I went to the DNS servers in the Router and sure enough they were reset. This has happened at least 5 times in the last year.

So I assume the backdoor into UPC routers is common knowledge, and UPC regularly decide to change your settings at a whim? This did not appear to be an upgrade or a reset of the router as only the DNS servers were changed???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Stop the doube routing and double NAT. You want one lan, do it.

Turn off the DHCP on #2, give it a static within the .0. Subnet, then they act as one network job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Batzoo

ED E wrote: »
    Stop the doube routing and double NAT. You want one lan, do it.

Turn off the DHCP on #2, give it a static within the .0. Subnet, then they act as one network job done.

Hah! It never crossed my mind to turn off the DHCP on the second router, I will give it a go over the next couple of days and report back. Thanks.

Edit**

Just set #2 to DHCP = off, IP 192.168.0.100,

Under lan range on #2 , 192.168.1.2 to xxx I tried changing to 192.168.0.xxx and it threw up a IP subnet conflict error, so I left it as it was, thinking the DHCP on #1 would take care of it.

I am locked out of the #2 router now. Cant access it on 192.168.0.100 or its old address. Also it does not show up under the connected devices on #1.
    I may have to reset it to regain access. Up for work in five hours, so hitting the sack now. Will tackle again tomorrow night.

Ultimately the switch will amalgamate all devices on router #1 and create a single LAN, the above is more of a learning exercise for me (break it to fix it) so any advice no matter how simple or complicated is appreciated.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Batzoo wrote: »
    Hah! It never crossed my mind to turn off the DHCP on the second router, I will give it a go over the next couple of days and report back. Thanks.

Edit**

Just set #2 to DHCP = off, IP 192.168.0.100,

Under lan range on #2 , 192.168.1.2 to xxx I tried changing to 192.168.0.xxx and it threw up a IP subnet conflict error, so I left it as it was, thinking the DHCP on #1 would take care of it.

I am locked out of the #2 router now. Cant access it on 192.168.0.100 or its old address. Also it does not show up under the connected devices on #1.
    I may have to reset it to regain access. Up for work in five hours, so hitting the sack now. Will tackle again tomorrow night.

Ultimately the switch will amalgamate all devices on router #1 and create a single LAN, the above is more of a learning exercise for me (break it to fix it) so any advice no matter how simple or complicated is appreciated.:)

No real idea on what you did, there are 2 DHCP settings you could have changed.

The steps are,

Connect to router Lan port, get 192.168.1.x ip, connected to web interface.
    Turn off the DHCP server(one assigning 192.168.1.x IP's), not DHCP on the WAN interface.
    Assign the management IP within the 192.168.0.x range(a IP not in use and not within the DHCP range on the cisco device) with the correct subnet, you lose connectivity at this point when you save the change.
    Wire the Cisco connection into one of its LAN ports, not the WAN port. EG, don't use the single isolated port.
    Disconnect and reconnect to your normal 192.168.0.x network.
    Enter in the fixed IP for the second router and connect.
    Set the WIFI SSID and password to be the exact same as the cisco modem. Change the channel for both to be 1, 6 or 11 but don't have both be the same.

Advertisement