Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night course

Options
  • 01-07-2015 7:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads.
    I'm looking too go back too college by night in sept upcoming. I'm not 100% sure what too study tho. My background is I served my time in a smallish company 8-10 lads. Mostly domestic and commercial work and some industrial in factory's but no work in pharmaceutical plants. For the last 4 years I'm working in facilities management in banks, airports, offices, chemists etc. during my time I've picked up a lot of HVAC skills. My plumbing skills areI've changed elements, copper cylinders, boilers, water tanks, showers, rads, under sink water heaters. On the AC side I've assisted in full installs of indoor & outdoors changed components, fans, pcb boards etc.
    Now I'm looking too better my self and here's a few of the courses I was thinking about applying for. I'm just looking for feedback on if anyone has done anything similar or knows anyone who has. I suppose my aim is with these courses too learn in demand skills too help me get a better job as a technician or too help me move up the ladder as a contracts manager or something

Automation and control systems
    Scada and control systems
    Certification in maintenance technology fundamental

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Ideally what would you like to do once you have aquired this new qualification?

It sounds like a commissioning type role may be of interest to you.
    Is that correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

2011 wrote: »
    Ideally what would you like to do once you have aquired this new qualification?

It sounds like a commissioning type role may be of interest to you.
    Is that correct?

Yes. As I said previously something too help me move up the ladder. Mechatronics plc's and scada all seem too be fairly in demand although I don't really anything about them other then the bits of Plc work I done on my block realise

• Registered Users Posts: 34,002 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Would you not consider a facilties Management / Project Facilities Management Course. Moving up the ladder may entail getting away from the front line so to speak

listermint wrote: »
    Would you not consider a facilties Management / Project Facilities Management Course. Moving up the ladder may entail getting away from the front line so to speak

Most defiantly sounds along the lines of what I'd be looking too do but I haven't seen anything like that advertised in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

If it's into the pharmaceutical plants maybe the industrial measurement and control course in cit, it's worth a look if your intrested it's long tho I'm in my second year.

• Advertisement

Tuco88 wrote: »
    If it's into the pharmaceutical plants maybe the industrial measurement and control course in cit, it's worth a look if your intrested it's long tho I'm in my second year.

How long is it in total? I just read the description on the cit site, it covers a lot infairness. What nights does it run on?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

MrMac84 wrote: »
    How long is it in total? I just read the description on the cit site, it covers a lot infairness. What nights does it run on?

From my experience the problem with some courses is that they lead to nothing. You really need to do your homework first. I learned this the hard way :mad:

As an apprentice I managed to talk my employer into letting me spent extra time in college so that I could complete some additional extra training courses. This meant that in addition to the "normal" apprentice stints in college I spend an entire year in college. Apart from holidays the 3rd year of my apprenticeship was in college. I studied very hard and was duley awarded some magnificent certificates that did absolutely nothing for my career :(

I had assumed that these wonderful qualifications would really stand to me but pretty soon I was back bending conduit and pulling cables just like every other electrician. It taught me a valuable lesson though, I made sure that every course I did after that would actually make a difference :)

From my experience the problem with some courses is that they lead to nothing. You really need to do your homework first. I learned this the hard way :mad:

As an apprentice I managed to talk my employer into letting me spent extra time in college so that I could complete some additional extra training courses. This meant that in addition to the "normal" apprentice stints in college I spend an entire year in college. Apart from holidays the 3rd year of my apprenticeship was in college. I studied very hard and was duley awarded some magnificent certificates that did absolutely nothing for my career :(

I had assumed that these wonderful qualifications would really stand to me but pretty soon I was back bending conduit and pulling cables just like every other electrician. It taught me a valuable lesson though, I made sure that every course I did after that would actually make a difference :)

Which is what EVERY sparks whos ever done a course has advised me and that is why im asking here before i sign away 1-3 nights a week for 1-3 years. Id like too know what ones are good and what ones are a waste :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

You will be a qualified instrumentation tec after it. I was kinda was forced to do it, I do instrumentation work from time to time but have no cert I'm just a electrician. It's the only road to take bar an apprenticeship in it as far as I know. It's is very good, the cert will be reconised overseas forget about your fas papers useless abroad ex parts of the eu.

Bad points.
    Very little hands on if your are completly new to instrumentation.
    Way too dragged out I find its geared for progressing on to the degree. A lot of the modules are useless/not needed for just a tec. It is very maths heavy.

They usually run 3 mods a week. If your an electrician/ have a trade you get 55 credits I think you need to do around 15 mods to get the cert 200 euro a mod tho thats exams also.

It's a pitty there is no course to become a tec for electricians without all the unessary stuff. ..

I do find instrumentation stressful at times but I was landed in it ha...

But get your head around it, it really is enjoyable clean work. And it's more firepower to you in the world of employment.

I'd take 2011 advise careful what u pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,002 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Which is the primary reason I suggested you move away from these certs, If your goal is to eventually down tools. You need to be focusing on Facilities Management and Project Management Courses. i.e Your Electrical practical experience is under your belt. But the Situational and Organisational experience is where you probably should be focusing.

Best advice is look around at job advertisements, Choose jobs that you would like to be your end goal and review common themes in terms of the job description and qualifications necessary. That will tell you exactly what employers are looking for.

Something along these lines

http://www.portobelloinstitute.ie/modern-environment/facilities-courses/facilities-management-level3

They hold one in Cork too.

Make sure any course you do is properly accredited (here) and don't be afraid of branching out. My Brother in law has done a similar course last 3 years and has its foot 60% in the door of a permanent role that doesn't require dressing up in snickers. He said he had done it too long and wearing a suit and ordering out contracts for Facilities Work has him delighted.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Which is the primary reason I suggested you move away from these certs, If your goal is to eventually down tools. You need to be focusing on Facilities Management and Project Management Courses. i.e Your Electrical practical experience is under your belt. But the Situational and Organisational experience is where you probably should be focusing.

Best advice is look around at job advertisements, Choose jobs that you would like to be your end goal and review common themes in terms of the job description and qualifications necessary. That will tell you exactly what employers are looking for.

Something along these lines

http://www.portobelloinstitute.ie/modern-environment/facilities-courses/facilities-management-level3

They hold one in Cork too.

Make sure any course you do is properly accredited (here) and don't be afraid of branching out. My Brother in law has done a similar course last 3 years and has its foot 60% in the door of a permanent role that doesn't require dressing up in snickers. He said he had done it too long and wearing a suit and ordering out contracts for Facilities Work has him delighted.

Your bottom link RE accredits doesn't work. I've emailed now about course information etc. I had never heard of the crowd who hold the courses before so thanks for the link

Advertisement