Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Ferret Vet Required

Options
  • 01-07-2015 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all just wondering could anyone recommend a good Veterinary Clinic around Cork Wilton/Togher area? Used to go to Abbyville but the new vet for small pets is USELESS! and he seems to be the one on duty most of the time. Anyway back to the problem... I got a 3yrs old hob he's castrated 2years ago and seems to always weight about 1.5-1.8kg but for the last few weeks he constantly loses weight, refuses to eat or drink, dropped down to 1.0kg. I am terrified and don't want to lose him. Been in the clinic a few times but no improvement and the vet said he's ok and nothing to worry about. I need someone please recommend a good Clinic cause I'm hopeless at this stage, forcing him to drink water with some electrolites and that's the only thing that keeps him alive, no matter all the goodies or treats, he won't even look at them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh sounds nasty, cant say I know anything about ferrets so I cannot advise...

You could try and ring Declan in Douglas, the Village Vet in Douglas. It is the one down by the mills. If he doesn't know anything about them himself he might be able to advise who does, must say he is an extremely helpful vet...

Oh they are on facebook too if it makes it easier to message them for you they do answer back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Gilabbey vets are probably your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cashadaw

Milly33 wrote: »
    Oh sounds nasty, cant say I know anything about ferrets so I cannot advise...

You could try and ring Declan in Douglas, the Village Vet in Douglas. It is the one down by the mills. If he doesn't know anything about them himself he might be able to advise who does, must say he is an extremely helpful vet...

I'll try to ring him up and see what he say, thanks so much. I suppose it doesn't matter how much he knows about ferrets as long as he's a good vet and treats his patients seriously with enough of care, cause dropping half of its weight within one month is far too far from being ok for any pet as this moron here claims.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

+1 for Gilabbey. I know they deal with a lot of the animals in Fota , so they're used to non standard animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

another + 1 for Gillabbey. Extremely professional, friendly vets. Like another poster said, they are the main vets for Fota so are well versed in all animals.

horgan_p wrote: »
    +1 for Gilabbey. I know they deal with a lot of the animals in Fota , so they're used to non standard animals.

Thanks so much everyone, the first guy didn't pick up his phone so booked an appointment at Gilabbey. Can't wait to get my little scamp feel better. Fingers crossed!

Hope you get it sorted let us know how it goes. hopefully he will be back to full health soon

Hope you get it sorted let us know how it goes. hopefully he will be back to full health soon

Hi there again, been at Gilabbey in the afternoon, they gave him injections with antibiotic and multivitamin, also got highly nutritional food sachet, so far he managed to eat half of it (i'm so glad!), hope to feed him the other half throughout night and in the morning he's got an X-Ray and bloods to be done. I'll get to know more tomorrow.

Thanks so much for all the help and concerns, so appreciated!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yeah Gilabbey are the best around for the 'non standard' pets.

Had my bearded dragon with them before and was very impressed with them.

• Advertisement

delighted to hear his doing better.. Gilabbey are in the good books then

delighted to hear his doing better.. Gilabbey are in the good books then

His bloods are good, X-Ray did't show anything to worry about, the vet said it seemes to be an aleutian disease, very nasty and the only place that does tests for this virus are USA so he told me not to think about it for now and see if the meds he gave us work and he'll do the check-up in a few days. Hope it's not this nasty thing

Advertisement