Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT re-test, what do I need?

Options
  • 01-07-2015 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Quick question!

Have to book an NCT re-test for my car. It failed on front suspension (visual). Have gotten it fixed since.
    Just wondering what I need to bring to the re-test?? Don't want to get up there and be told I need to come back again and rebook!

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bring ID and VRC like first time. Did you book a time with them? If not give them a ring to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

biko wrote: »
    Bring ID and VRC like first time. Did you book a time with them? If not give them a ring to check.

If it's a visual you don't book it. You just show up to the centre and get a tester to check it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SheepShearer

biko wrote: »
    _Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    If it's a visual you don't book it. You just show up to the centre and get a tester to check it for you.

Thanks biko & _tyrrell_ ! I'm pretty sure I have to book an appointment as I've to pay the 28 euro fee. Even though its only one spring broken. They have to run a suspension test. Money racket!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

if the suspension was changed they have to check it was changed properly
    you brought a car with a broken spring to the test
    how long were you driving around on it
    did you change both springs or just the one because changing only one will get you a good chance of an imbalance fail

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Assuming he didn't know it was broken, how could he possibly know how long he was driving around with a broken spring ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,242 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Quick question!

Have to book an NCT re-test for my car. It failed on front suspension (visual). Have gotten it fixed since.
    Just wondering what I need to bring to the re-test?? Don't want to get up there and be told I need to come back again and rebook!

Thanks in advance.
    Thanks biko & _tyrrell_ ! I'm pretty sure I have to book an appointment as I've to pay the 28 euro fee. Even though its only one spring broken. They have to run a suspension test. Money racket!

In your first post you say it is a visual only but in second post you say you have to pay €28 for a retest.

A visual is free of charge and does not require a booking. However a retest that costs €28, involves the car going through the test lane means that it does require to be booked again. I'd imagine any suspension failure would require the car to go through the test lane again in order to have the suspension retested. It has always been this way, suspension is an important part of a car that does wear/break over time so it's hardly a money racket to have your car in working order and road worthy.

Also if replacing a suspension spring then it is advised to change both springs on the same axle as there could be an in balance between the new spring and older spring on the other side which will weaken quickly and you'll need to replace that one shortly after too.

Tigger wrote: »
    if the suspension was changed they have to check it was changed properly
    you brought a car with a broken spring to the test
    how long were you driving around on it
    did you change both springs or just the one because changing only one will get you a good chance of an imbalance fail

I obviously didn't know it was broken, or I'd have gotten it fixed earlier. I got both springs changed. So hopefully it's okay. However, all I wanted to know was what to bring along with me.
    mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Assuming he didn't know it was broken, how could he possibly know how long he was driving around with a broken spring ????

Haha true, I didn't know!
    bazz26 wrote: »
    In your first post you say it is a visual only but in second post you say you have to pay €28 for a retest.

A visual is free of charge and does not require a booking. However a retest that costs €28, involves the car going through the test lane means that it does require to be booked again. I'd imagine any suspension failure would require the car to go through the test lane again in order to have the suspension retested. It has always been this way, suspension is an important part of a car that does wear/break over time so it's hardly a money racket to have your car in working order and road worthy.

Also if replacing a suspension spring then it is advised to change both springs on the same axle as there could be an in balance between the new spring and older spring on the other side which will weaken quickly and you'll need to replace that one shortly after too.

I meant to say it came up in the visual part on the certificate. But forgot to mention the suspension test.

My car was roadworthy, it was driving fine. It may not have been 100% but it was safe to drive. Otherwise they wouldn't have let me drive it home. I personally think it's a money racket with them. You're already paying €55 for the first test, and then €28 for a test that'll take them 5 minutes.

Both springs were replaced.

However that's not what my question was... All I wanted to know was what to bring along with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Priceless!NCT find broken spring driver was unaware of,and still they are money grabbing con artists.

vandriver wrote: »
    Priceless!NCT find broken spring driver was unaware of,and still they are money grabbing con artists.

They are when you're paying €28 for a retest that takes hardly any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Bring whatever you brought the first time as well as the failure report sheet.

• Advertisement

They are when you're paying €28 for a retest that takes hardly any time.
    Mmmm,have you ever run a business?

Bring whatever you brought the first time as well as the failure report sheet.

Thank you, you actually answered my question! :)
    vandriver wrote: »
    Mmmm,have you ever run a business?

They aren't 'money grabbing con artists'. The system is a money racket. I understand having to retake the test and I know that it's good that they were able to tell me there was a fault with my car.
    But I don't agree with paying an extra 28 euro for it. And no, I haven't, but that's nothing to do with it.

Thank you, you actually answered my question! :)

They aren't 'money grabbing con artists'. The system is a money racket. I understand having to retake the test and I know that it's good that they were able to tell me there was a fault with my car.
    But I don't agree with paying an extra 28 euro for it. And no, I haven't, but that's nothing to do with it.

When you take wages,rates,cleaning,depreciation,electricity,repairs,head office overheads,and the many,many other costs on a business,I think €28 is reasonable,if not cheap.
    If you've never run a business,you might not have an appreciation of the ridiculous costs involved.

Advertisement