Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn feed performance

Options
  • 01-07-2015 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

Recently I bought a house with a lawn that was neglected for years. I wanted to give it a try before digging it up and starting from scratch so bought this Hygeia lawn feed, weed & moss and spread it across after I scarified, aerated and overseeded the lawn. Not only the lawn did not get going as expected and the new seed after germination did not progress as they should but the weeds came out strongly that at some point I thought I will not get it under control again. In the meantime I got a cheap lawn feed from Lidl and added it on with additional seeds that I sowed in a good few still bare patches that I managed to claim back from the weeds and it did bring the new grass on. Recently I decided that I give it another go and bought Westland Aftercut All In One lawn feed and give it a try. I did the front lawn with it and in two or three strips I thought I spread too much of it. A week later I looked at my lawn and my God did it make the difference. It worked very well in placed that I thought I used to much of it. That got me thinking and two weeks ago I did an experiment. I spread the Hygeia stuff on a third of my back yard, Lidl stuff on another third and Westland on the rest of it. Again after a week Westland brought up the grass very well, Lidl stuff worked too (not as well as Westland) and Hygeia - well even though I seriously overdose that portion of the lawn with it - did virtually nothing. Now I can see that I wasted a lot of time trying to reinvigorate my lawn with this Hygeia carp. I'm glad though I gave it another go with Westland as it really works. I thought I share my experience here in case someone is or will be in a similar situation.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

i have never used the hygeia but i have used the westland and was always happy with it.
    having said that after scarifying and over-seeding it is not recommended to use a feed and weed as the new grass is not able for it, so it may have been the very act of using the feed and weed that stopped the lawn from doing well after the scarifing and over seeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

farmchoice wrote: »
    i have never used the hygeia but i have used the westland and was always happy with it.
    having said that after scarifying and over-seeding it is not recommended to use a feed and weed as the new grass is not able for it, so it may have been the very act of using the feed and weed that stopped the lawn from doing well after the scarifing and over seeding.

The same new grass when supported with a Lidl or Westland lawn feed (which both contain weed and moss killer) came up quick. My guess is that Hygeia is a waste of time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,608 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

OP, every year I would buy one of those 3-in-1 feeds from the likes of B&Q for my garden, spread it on and watch the grass shoot up. Usually its the likes of Westland or EverGreen Complete.

Start of this summer I bought Hygeia 3-in-1 as it was a decent price in my local Co-op. This one
    http://www.hygeia.ie/product/greenforce-lawn-feed-weed-mosskiller

I noticed very little improvement in my grass, no fast growth, no extra greening that I seen every year with other brands.

I won't be using it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

NIMAN wrote: »
    OP, every year I would buy one of those 3-in-1 feeds from the likes of B&Q for my garden, spread it on and watch the grass shoot up. Usually its the likes of Westland or EverGreen Complete.

Start of this summer I bought Hygeia 3-in-1 as it was a decent price in my local Co-op. This one
    http://www.hygeia.ie/product/greenforce-lawn-feed-weed-mosskiller

I noticed very little improvement in my grass, no fast growth, no extra greening that I seen every year with other brands.

I won't be using it again.

This is exactly the same lawn feed I used at first. In my experience it is absolutely useless. The westland aftercut all in one is doing pretty good job and I'm going to stick to it.

Advertisement