Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diarrhoea - Should I go to vets?

• 01-07-2015 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

My dog (she's 9 now) has had diarrhoea for the past two days. I starved her for a day and then gave her plain rice. I thought she'd just eaten something when she was off lead but its hasn't improved at all. I don't want to be paranoid and rush to the vet unnecessarily but I'm conscious that she could get dehydrated quickly in this heat. Should I bring her to the vet or give it another day? She seems happy enough in herself - begging for food and going to walks (albeit a less energy than usual).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

If you're not sure then ring your vet and ask. We are not vets and it could take hours for someone to reply which still is not the same as a vet's opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭rubiesarered

Thanks. I've managed to get an appointment for this afternoon.

I used to rush her to the vet every time she sneezed so now I'm really unsure when I should bring her.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hildred

My dog (she's 9 now) has had diarrhoea for the past two days. I starved her for a day and then gave her plain rice. I thought she'd just eaten something when she was off lead but its hasn't improved at all. I don't want to be paranoid and rush to the vet unnecessarily but I'm conscious that she could get dehydrated quickly in this heat. Should I bring her to the vet or give it another day? She seems happy enough in herself - begging for food and going to walks (albeit a less energy than usual).

As another poster states, "we're not vets", but through our own personal experiences in similar situations may be able to offer advice or help, so here's my personal experience. Earlier this year my border collie Merlin, came down with diarrhoea which lasted a full week. I was really worried, because my dogs dont get sick, so i brougt my wonderful vet Brigitte into the picture. She came, examined him and determined that his diarrhoea was the result of dietary intake. (Although his food hasnt been changed in over a year and a half) So, I starved him for a day, which was easy as his appetite isn't great at the best of times (he's a picky eater) then fed him rice and boiled chicken, for three - five days and eventually, after a week it cleared up without any medicinal intervention from my vet. Then, less than 24hours later, my second dog, Jed, came down with the same thing! Same remedy worked or him, and he recovered in a matter of 3-4 days. This raised questions for me. . . . That the same symptoms occurred in my two dogs, one after the other, makes me very seriously question the reports that viral infections or transmission of tummy bugs from dog to dog doesn't happen. They had been eating the same dry, cold compressed grain free food for over a year and a half without incident, Andno change was make in their treat intake! I'm quite convinced this was a viral episode that maybe would have cleared itself, but whose removal was assisted by the starving then feeding bland rice and chicken for as many days as needed. My two have never looked back.

Btw, I fed them boiled chicken breasts, (I cannot recall exactly but I think my vet said to leave the ski n on - I had also fed Merlin some skinless and thought at the time it might be less severe on his distressed stomach & gut) and white long grain rice.

May I suggest if there's no improvement in her condition within next 24 hours, get your vet to call. Also, make sure there's plenty of fresh water all around for her. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My vet doesn't recommend fasting for 24 hours anymore - they say to skip one meal and then feed small amounts often. OP I always have probiotics just in case - I find these ones very good - http://eu.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Pet-Dophilus-2-5-oz-70-5-g-Powder/4295#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=jarrow%20probiotic&rc=25&sr=null&ic=6

Also don't feel embarrassed about going to the vet! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭rubiesarered

Thanks for all the replies. The vet saw her last night and said that it was most likely a bug of some kind. She got an injection to kickstart things and I've three types of medication for the week. She's now had a few small meals of chicken and rice and things are starting to come out a little more solid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement