Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio wiring

Options
  • 01-07-2015 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

My camper is due back on the road very soon and I'm going to sort out the cats cradle of wiring under the bonnet.

One question: Am I right in thinking the radio should be wired via the Leisure Battery rather than the starting battery? I've already re-wired it so I'm just checking.

Basicallly anything used whilst static should come form the leisure battery, is that correct (interior lights is about all I have plus the radio and 12v socket)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

99% of them are wired to the engine battery.

Your preference. It just comes down to which one are you least likely to over-discharge. Radios can have quite a significant drain on a battery even when powered off depending on the make and design, I'd measure the load before deciding. Mine uses naff all it'll run for days without issue.

Lights, sockets off the leisure battery. I like redundancy systems though I have lights on both battery sets.

As a rule of thumb you are correct. The engine battery by design is only to keep the ECU ticking, turn the starter motor and fire heater plugs the rest is powered by the alternator.

My radio is powered by the engine battery which is often in turn powered from PV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

My thought is to use the engine battery only for starting the van.... it doesn't have glow plugs or an ecu ....

There are alot of wires there that might be redundant, so I'll be going through them all systematically removing fuses to find out what is what. There was evidence of an alarm too which I've removed as it wasn't connected to anythng and noone would steal it anyway!

it doesn't have glow plugs or an ecu ....

Sounds reliable.
    I find dirt a pretty effective anti-theft measure too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

nooo....just spent nearly €3000 in the bodyshop......maybe it's more desirable than I think!

• Advertisement
Advertisement