Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Edge 520 Announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

has it all really.. id love one but my 500 is still going strong (and its great in fairness) hopefully garmin axe their 'segments' feature.. talk about coming late to the party

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Well the credit card is about to take another hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Is it waterproof?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭oakley2097

thankfully not a big change on the 510

plus - direct strava integration, colour screen

neutral- maps

minus - shorter battery lift

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

oakley2097 wrote: »

minus - shorter battery lift

aye you could start the 500 tracking a mission to mars and it would still have some juice for the way back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Interesting!

Only thought I'd have is how much openmaps you'd actually fit on it and also for Strava to work you need to favourite/mark segments so that they pre-load onto it - again I wonder how much space each segment takes up and could you have (e.g.) the closest 200 (to pick a random number) segments to your house on it easily? I didn't read anything about space for a memory card to boost storage.

Does this mean an 820 is imminent too?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

g0g wrote: »
    Only thought I'd have is how much openmaps you'd actually fit on it and also for Strava to work you need to favourite/mark segments so that they pre-load onto it - again I wonder how much space each segment takes up and could you have (e.g.) the closest 200 (to pick a random number) segments to your house on it easily?

It looks like Strava only sends 10 (:confused:) segments to the device, apart form starred/goal segments. That seems very low...
    I think DCR mentioned the storage is limited to 54mb and that OSMaps for Paris is something like 21mb. A memory card slot would be great but wasn't mentioned.

I think it's interesting they have rolled back from the touch screen they had on the 510.
    I would have thought the smaller screen and no touch screen would help save battery but I guess there is more connectivity included in terms of phone/sms message reading etc.
    Would be nice if you could turn that off for battery saving.
    The 500 had 18 hours, the 510 20 hours, the 520 15hours.
    It's a trade off I guess. I'd make that trade.

It's also interesting that the RRP is lower than the 510, $329 -> $299. Although its a while since I've seen the 510 at RRP on amazon.

I like the maps on it too, granted no turn by turn, I was considering the 810 for the mapping but the maps in the 520 would be just enough to get me by I think.

Have been looking at the 510 for quite a while but am glad I didn't purchase.
    Will see how the 520 plays out and decide then.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

DC Rainmaker review is very positive, which I think is a good indication. Personally, I like the fact that it's not touchscreen. The battery life is a bit of an issue, though 15 hours is still good enough for me. I think anyone doing serious audax-type stuff would be investing in a battery pack of some sort anyway. Connectivity also seems good-it's got Glonass in addition to GPS, so it should be super-fast at picking up satellite signals. Small screen (in comparison to the Edge 1000) is also a big plus.

One thing that interests me: how does this device stack up against the Edge 25? From what I have read, the 25 also has a fair amount of features and probably covers the needs of many users. It has a battery life of just 8 hours, but apart from that, I'm wondering what would be the big selling points for the 520 over the 25? The 25 is going to be less that half the price of the 520 and looks like potentially an ideal device for people who mostly cycle, but like to dabble in the odd bit of hiking/running (me) since it has the form factor to be a good wrist device.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭brianoak

Does 25 work with power meter?

TheTubes wrote: »
    It looks like Strava only sends 10 (:confused:) segments to the device, apart form starred/goal segments. That seems very low...
    I think DCR mentioned the storage is limited to 54mb and that OSMaps for Paris is something like 21mb. A memory card slot would be great but wasn't mentioned.
    The 10 limit mightn't be the end of the world if I at least knew each one would only take a tiny bit of space and could basically "star" every one I am likely to ever pass in Wicklow or Dublin! But then again you're competing with the map space too.

Really hope they also look at a Windows Phone connection option at some stage!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

A lot of these features will be updates for the 810/510. Looking forward to them

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Lots of second hand garmin 500/510 heading for the adverts section soon then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭comete

Lot of money to spend on something that lets you upload a distance and a squiggly line on a computer for all your mates to give you a virtual pat on the back.

Remember the time when people cycled for their own enjoyment, not to get a load of likes on their strava page.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

comete wrote: »
    Lot of money to spend on something that lets you upload a distance and a squiggly line on a computer for all your mates to give you a virtual pat on the back.

Remember the time when people cycled for their own enjoyment, not to get a load of likes on their strava page.

I do wish I had a GPS sort of thing for getting around without having to stop every quarter mile to check where I am using my phone/google maps.

I also like checking what speed I'm doing and having it in front of me - but I use a cheap aldi bike computer for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭oakley2097

not to get a load of likes on their strava page.

You can get likes on your strava page ?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

brianoak wrote: »
    Does 25 work with power meter?

Seems not-according, again, to DC Rainmaker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

I'll admit I don't get the whole strava thing. Some lads in the club are obsessed about it and will talk endlessly about segments here and there. Plenty of times we'd be on a club spin and some tool jumps off the front sprinting up the road only to tell you later "that's a strava segment"

Personally I use Garmin Connect. I see the segments and how I'm doing against previous self. All my ride are private as I couldn't care less how I climbed the wicklow gap in comparison to anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

I'll admit I don't get the whole strava thing. Some lads in the club are obsessed about it and will talk endlessly about segments here and there. Plenty of times we'd be on a club spin and some tool jumps off the front sprinting up the road only to tell you later "that's a strava segment"

Personally I use Garmin Connect. I see the segments and how I'm doing against previous self. All my ride are private as I couldn't care less how I climbed the wicklow gap in comparison to anyone else.

I suppose there are more and less competitive cyclists - so there is variety of products/services to accommodate various market demands. I never used any of the mentioned services but I did use the "last ride" option on my garmin which is an interesting feature and somewhat motivating to go faster than last time on the particular route.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I use it to get my daily dose of feeling inadequate - such as when I saw Wishbone Ash's 350k spin on Strava yesterday :P

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

colm18 wrote:
    I use it to get my daily dose of feeling inadequate - such as when I saw Wishbone Ash's 350k spin on Strava yesterday :P
    You probably shouldn't click here or here so... ;)

I use Strava over GC. I don't target segments when out riding except a couple of my favourite ones locally, and even then it's just to compare myself to my previous efforts, I'm nowhere near KOH on any of them.
    I think its good for the social side too, seeing what club mates are up to but mainly I just use it to track my own progress (or lack of...)
    I had the premium for a year before but didn't renew it. There are a couple of analysis bits that I miss occasionally but generally I get on fine without the premium.
    I think having the live segments included in the Edge units is a big win for Strava, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a big driver for selling premium subscriptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

TheTubes wrote: »
    You probably shouldn't click here or here so... ;)

Pah, sure I have more 'average rides per week' than both of them :D

So then back to the topic, has anyone got a 520 yet ?

Nope haven't got one but would love! I'm not really into whole N+1 bike thing as much as I'm into my gadgets! What's the going rate these days for a second hand Edge 800 without HRM/cadence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Strava is turning into such a Fredfest. I saw one guy last week get 30 odd kudos for an unremarkable 20K return trip to work. Some of the comments too...you'd have to wonder are these well adjusted adults at all.

I'd love to get rid of the kudos button.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I would limit the number of Kudos you could give, to say 3 per day. Other Criteria could be introduced maybe automatic Kudos if you set a pb but i agree it is gone a bit crazy in certain circumstances.

g0g wrote: »
    What's the going rate these days for a second hand Edge 800 without HRM/cadence?

Theres one on adverts listed at 240
    Looking out for a 510 myself for a young lad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Anyone here know where I can get one of these in Dublin? Would like to get it tomorrow if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

HotSwap wrote: »
    Anyone here know where I can get one of these in Dublin? Would like to get it tomorrow if possible.

Cycle Super Store have them in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Cycle Super Store have them in Tallaght.

Thanks, do you know how much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

HotSwap wrote: »
    Thanks, do you know how much?

I think what I saw were "bundle packs" I recall the '20 one being around 225.

The '25 was a fair bit more.

You'd get 5% off that.

Advertisement