Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Edge 520 Announced

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

My 500 didn't go kaput, wifey bought me a 520 for my birthday (for 166 in Halfords) which I am not allowed to use until the 500 leaves the building!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Luxman wrote: »
    My 500 didn't go kaput, wifey bought me a 520 for my birthday (for 166 in Halfords) which I am not allowed to use until the 500 leaves the building!!

Was this purchase in-store? €218 online

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Whyner wrote: »
    Was this purchase in-store? €218 online

They were 166 in Halfords for a week or so recently, but the price has gone back up now. You'd only get it for that now if you have a reservation from when they were reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

cython wrote: »
    They were 166 in Halfords for a week or so recently, but the price has gone back up now. You'd only get it for that now if you have a reservation from when they were reduced.

...and they honour AXA etc 10% discount, so I got mine for under €150. Sold a 500 too for €85; so €65 to change..... :D

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    ...and they honour AXA etc 10% discount, so I got mine for under €150. Sold a 500 too for €85; so €65 to change..... :D

No fair, I can't shift my 500 , even for 70 squid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I got mine for the same.
    Anybody wanna buy a 500, going cheap?????

Luxman wrote: »
    No fair, I can't shift my 500 , even for 70 squid!
    Eamonnator wrote: »
    I got mine for the same.
    Anybody wanna buy a 500, going cheap?????

Try Adverts.ie......

Sold for a fiver less than I wanted, so 100 squids to upgrade. Now to get my geek on.....

The Garmin 520 (now?) has the Incident Detection service that was launched (I think) with the Edge 1000/800 series some time ago. It may have only become available in the recent version 10 software upgrade.

Anyway, its a nice 'peace-of-mind' type of service that is worth considering to set up - you need to do so on both the GPS head unit and in your paired phone. In essence, it allows you set up an emergency number that will be automatically messaged/emailed if you suffer an accident. It uses the accellerometer in the 520 to detect a sudden jolt to the device. Officially "The Garmin Connect Mobile app sends the automated text message and email with your name and GPS location to your emergency contacts. A message appears on your device and paired smartphone indicating your contacts will be informed after 30 seconds have elapsed."

I set it up a few weeks ago and then set it off by mistake at the weekend while washing the bike I 'bounced' front wheel with the unit on the bars.

All hell broke loose ! The sound from the GPS is all "DEFCON 1" level with an alarm that would wake the neighbours sounding for 30 seconds before the message sending is initiated.

Here's the resulting warning before the messages are sent:

...go on.........turn up the volume...!

https://youtu.be/Qk3C-p_6KiM

..link, I cannot seem to embed this video

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Youtube link doesnt seem to be working

• Advertisement

The Garmin 520 (now?) has the Incident Detection service that was launched (I think) with the Edge 1000/800 series some time ago. It may have only become available in the recent version 10 software upgrade.

Anyway, its a nice 'peace-of-mind' type of service that is worth considering to set up - you need to do so on both the GPS head unit and in your paired phone. In essence, it allows you set up an emergency number that will be automatically messaged/emailed if you suffer an accident. It uses the accellerometer in the 520 to detect a sudden jolt to the device. Officially "The Garmin Connect Mobile app sends the automated text message and email with your name and GPS location to your emergency contacts. A message appears on your device and paired smartphone indicating your contacts will be informed after 30 seconds have elapsed."

I set it up a few weeks ago and then set it off by mistake at the weekend while washing the bike I 'bounced' front wheel with the unit on the bars.

All hell broke loose ! The sound from the GPS is all "DEFCON 1" level with an alarm that would wake the neighbours sounding for 30 seconds before the message sending is initiated.

Here's the resulting warning before the messages are sent:

...go on.........turn up the volume...!

..link, I cannot seem to embed this video

Updated with embedding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

@TheBlaaMan
    When that alarm starts, can you stop it before the 30 seconds are up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

I have the same feature through my SeeSense Icon lights. The accellerometer in the lights will trigger a notification through the paired phone to a nominated number. I was setting it up one evening before heading out on an early Sunday morning spin. The wife said I hope you're not putting my number into that thing. I don't want to be woken up. Just call me from the hospital if its serious. That's love.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    @TheBlaaMan
    When that alarm starts, can you stop it before the 30 seconds are up?

I'd assume so, since the video does question if you need help, and has an option to cancel. Would be worth making sure you know how before enabling it and scaring the **** out of someone with the thought that you've crashed, mind! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

This is a pretty good idea. I wonder though if it might be a bit unusable with certain types of riding, eg cyclocross, where you're always bounding around the place and having little spills.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm loathe to update my 520 as there are too many stories of units freezing and playing up so it's still on the original software it came installed with over a year ago.

Koobcam wrote: »
    This is a pretty good idea. I wonder though if it might be a bit unusable with certain types of riding, eg cyclocross, where you're always bounding around the place and having little spills.

If you search online, you'll find a few peeps saying just this; I guess it's not such a requirement for a short circuit race where you are never far from others - or even for club spins. I can see it being more beneficial for solo rides, audax, long sportives etc where you may become separated from groups etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

I'm loathe to update my 520 as there are too many stories of units freezing and playing up so it's still on the original software it came installed with over a year ago.

Me too.............anyone know if the latest update is stable?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I have recently purchased a FIZIK Stem and looking at getting a Barfly direct stem mount but worried about the button clearance at the bottom of the unit.

Anyone had any joy using a direct stem mount for the 520?

Advertisement