Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden Post and Rail Fence - To concrete them in or not

Options
  • 01-07-2015 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

I understand that posts and rails over time will rot and have to be replaced. Will bedding the post in concrete speed up the rotting process or will it have little or no effect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

what was the reason or reasons people objected to concreting in the posts?

I'd go with that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

tampopo wrote: »
    what was the reason or reasons people objected to concreting in the posts?

I'd go with that option.

Concrete absorbs and holds moisture. It effectively makes it a cup that will rot out the footing. Whilst the posts and rails have a lifespan of X years, setting in concrete reduces X considerably is what I am told.

Now I'm thinking of something like this

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Landscaping/d130/Fence+Post+Metalwork+%26+Tools/sd3224/Post+Base/p82691

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Drive-in Post Anchor. Set in concrete. Be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

The timber above-ground will rot before the timber encased in concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

i recently had a post and rail fence put up and was advised to not set the posts in concrete either,however the fence i got was a PDM cresote fence which i have read a good bit about and seen ones up around my area over 20 years no bother,they are the only company allowed pressure treat wood with cresote as far as im aware,based in kildare they supply the eircom esb poles etc countrywide,good fencing contractors will supply one for you ,not cheap but will last you ages,may even see you out..check out their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

I stuck my posts in concrete but i painted the ends well with used motor oil. Cant remember what made me do it but seemed like a good idea as i had spent 700 euro on the posts and weatherboards concrete and gravel.
    I had to unscrew all the boards off and reset the posts because i erected it just before a long period of wild weather.
    What type of wood are you using?
    Worth doing right the first time i found to my cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

We had metal posts made up, welded small pieces with holes on the each side of the posts, set them in concrete and then screwed the rails from the back. They're there probably fifteen years and not even bit of rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jack Sawyer

The timber above-ground will rot before the timber encased in concrete.

No as another poster mentioned the concrete will retain the water around the wood and provide an ideal environment for rot.

- I know from experience in my own garden having easily pushed over and snapped some 4" posts with rotted bases (set in concrete) with one hand and happily re-used the structurally sound over ground lengths in another project....

Advertisement