Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann adds Direct M9 Dublin service

Options
  • 01-07-2015 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭

The revised Bus Eireann X7 route from Kilkenny to Dublin has started;
    http://www.buseireann.ie/news.php?id=1798&month=Jun

Really good service here again, head to head with Dublin Coach. Journey time of 1.27 mins to Custom House at 7.20 am from KK railway station. Not sure how realistic that will be come college time but it's what they have scheduled anyhow.

Looks like the Castlecomer/Athy route has been dropped completely here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

€15.20 for a day return to Dublin compared to the €20 charged by Dublin Coach and it leaves 25 minutes earlier. Might try this out next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

DerryRed wrote: »
    €15.20 for a day return to Dublin compared to the €20 charged by Dublin Coach and it leaves 25 minutes earlier. Might try this out next week.

Imagine this would hit the train service also? That's half their price and to city centre, not just Heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

road_high wrote: »
    Imagine this would hit the train service also? That's half their price and to city centre, not just Heuston.

Train with the Luas usually gets you into Dublin City Centre for 8.30. With this 7.20 bus it'll be closer to 9 when you get there. If they had scheduled it to leave Kilkenny at 7 it would have had an even bigger impact on the train service.

DerryRed wrote: »
    Train with the Luas usually gets you into Dublin City Centre for 8.30. With this 7.20 bus it'll be closer to 9 when you get there. If they had scheduled it to leave Kilkenny at 7 it would have had an even bigger impact on the train service.

Yea, the Dublin Coach would help with an earlier leave too, 7.45 too late for 9.00am into Dublin.

It's unreal how well connected Kilkenny is to Dublin now. Trains, buses direct in the 90 minute mark. Even ten years ago there was only just an early morning train starting off. And no direct bus to the Airport either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

€13.30 for single. Dublincoach better value for one way travel.

As an aside, Dublincoach really should look at doing dicounted return tickets.

bennyob wrote: »
    €13.30 for single. Dublincoach better value for one way travel.

As an aside, Dublincoach really should look at doing dicounted return tickets.

BE don't stop at the Red Cow which is a bonus as that is a time waster for anyone not going to airport wanting to change there. And two times I got it, I had to change buses for city centre to bunk up with their Limerick service. I found that a little annoying and "smart" as they don't mention that when advertising or buying the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Pretty amazing really now that between Bus Eireann and Dublin Coach you can get a direct 90 minute bus to KK at 8, 9:15, 10, 12, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8:30, 10:00 and 10:30 every day.

To be honest, I think Dublin Coach still have an edge on them. Comfier buses, better leaving location in Dublin and a cheaper one way ticket. In saying that, I've gotten Dublin Coach at peak student going home times, 4 and 6 on a Friday and it was a disaster. Didn't leave until 20 to 7 one evening as bus was caught in traffic and there was a massive queue to get on. There's never any problems like that in Busaras.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Apologies for easing slightly off topic, but with the closure of Route 7, what's the easiest way to travel from Kilkenny to Cork now by public transport? I've checked Buses and Trains and I see changes and delays everywhere. Am I missing something obvious?

Deathwish4 wrote: »
    Apologies for easing slightly off topic, but with the closure of Route 7, what's the easiest way to travel from Kilkenny to Cork now by public transport? I've checked Buses and Trains and I see changes and delays everywhere. Am I missing something obvious?

Do you have to change in Clonmel for another service?

• Advertisement

Do you have to change in Clonmel for another service?

Yeah looks like a change at Clonmel, and then again somewhere else. Doesn't appear to be any suitable same day return journey anymore though so i'm fairly snookered regardless.

Dublin Coach to Waterford and then Bus Eireann to Cork? Buses seem to go from Waterford to Cork about every hour (Mon to Fri) and Kilkenny to Waterford is fairly well covered now with Dublin Coach. I know it's a pain having to change though.

inthehat wrote: »
    Dublin Coach to Waterford and then Bus Eireann to Cork? Buses seem to go from Waterford to Cork about every hour (Mon to Fri) and Kilkenny to Waterford is fairly well covered now with Dublin Coach. I know it's a pain having to change though.

Thanks for this, I will see if the timings work.

Deathwish4 wrote: »
    Yeah looks like a change at Clonmel, and then again somewhere else. Doesn't appear to be any suitable same day return journey anymore though so i'm fairly snookered regardless.

Bit sad Kilkenny has lost its direct link to Cork city. Why don't you contact BE for an explanation? I can pedict he response though, "lack of demand".

It's just shows how Dublin focused we have become, almost all
    Kilkenny public transport focused there now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Bit sad Kilkenny has lost its direct link to Cork city. Why don't you contact BE for an explanation? I can pedict he response though, "lack of demand".

It's just shows how Dublin focused we have become, almost all
    Kilkenny public transport focused there now.

Sad alright but in fairness would you blame anyone. I didn't consider moving to Kilkenny until the new road was opened. Before that it wasn't a possibility.

The design of our road network is totally focused on Dublin. I've said it before and I'll say it again. What ever roads you build people with adapt and use them accordingly.

kikel wrote: »
    Sad alright but in fairness would you blame anyone. I didn't consider moving to Kilkenny until the new road was opened. Before that it wasn't a possibility.

The design of our road network is totally focused on Dublin. I've said it before and I'll say it again. What ever roads you build people with adapt and use them accordingly.

Did you move from Dublin?
    In fairness there's a great road to Cork from here it's just the link to it to Urlingford is a bit crap in places. Probably outside of college students and the odd tourists, the demand for direct Cork service is not there from Kilkenny.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Did you move from Dublin?

Here 5 years now. My partner has been living here or the last 9 years. We lived together in laois for 18 months until that road opened. I know others use to use the old road but personally I didn't hate myself enough to go through all that pain daily.

Glad to say now I've sourced work that I can do remotely. Happy Days

Advertisement