Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Query Landlord Obligations

Options
  • 01-07-2015 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi All - we have been having problems with our landlord and getting items fixed that were not working at commencement of lease. We are now at a broken dishwasher, which I think I can sort. There is however a broken extractor fan in the downstairs WC - no window for ventilation etc. We have repeatedly asked for this to be fixed, and have now been told that it will not be fixed, it was broken when we took up tenancy and as such it does not have to be working when the tenancy ends. My question I suppose is to whether there is an obligation to have a working extractor fan from a Health and Safety point of view - I was under the belief that such items the Landlord and or their agents are obliged to fix the same ? Any thoughts on this minor issue would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Hi All - we have been having problems with our landlord and getting items fixed that were not working at commencement of lease. We are now at a broken dishwasher, which I think I can sort. There is however a broken extractor fan in the downstairs WC - no window for ventilation etc. We have repeatedly asked for this to be fixed, and have now been told that it will not be fixed, it was broken when we took up tenancy and as such it does not have to be working when the tenancy ends. My question I suppose is to whether there is an obligation to have a working extractor fan from a Health and Safety point of view - I was under the belief that such items the Landlord and or their agents are obliged to fix the same ? Any thoughts on this minor issue would be appreciated.

Is there a window in the room with the broken extractor fan? Because as far as I know they have to have adequate ventilation, but a window counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭MikeCairo78

Nope no window, it is a downstairs WC under the stairs. The l/lord is saying that we should just use the upstairs WC. We have a 15 month old boy and this would prove quite difficult having to traipse up and down the stair with him in tow anytime one wants to use the facilities. Because of said boy we are concerned about the hygiene aspect of no extractor fan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Nope no window, it is a downstairs WC under the stairs. The l/lord is saying that we should just use the upstairs WC. We have a 15 month old boy and this would prove quite difficult having to traipse up and down the stair with him in tow anytime one wants to use the facilities. Because of said boy we are concerned about the hygiene aspect of no extractor fan

Well I am nearly sure that you need to have adequate ventilation, but don't take my word for it. Regardless of which, what he said about repairs is nonsense. If it is not working and you did not break it, he is required to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Well I am nearly sure that you need to have adequate ventilation, but don't take my word for it. Regardless of which, what he said about repairs is nonsense. If it is not working and you did not break it, he is required to fix it.

Yeah - but you aren't required to provide a downstairs bathroom, or more than one toilet in the place. If it wasn't working when the tenant moved in, then LL could just tell them not to use that room at all.

Yeah - but you aren't required to provide a downstairs bathroom, or more than one toilet in the place. If it wasn't working when the tenant moved in, then LL could just tell them not to use that room at all.

You sound like the landlord . . . .so if the property was advertised as having x toilets and now one of these isnt working - we understandably didnt check the extractor fan before taking possession, using your argument int the opposite she has advertised and put forward for rent a house which is not serving its full function. I am curious as to this, we have been onto Threshold who have told us that ALL bathrooms must have correct and adequate ventilation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Have you tried cleaning the filter? Its normally something small like that.

...if the property was advertised as having x toilets and now one of these isnt working .... I am curious as to this, we have been onto Threshold who have told us that ALL bathrooms must have correct and adequate ventilation

Can you proved that it was advertised as having a certain number of toilets?

If you can prove it, then you have a fair argument to get it fixed, and should give the LL written notice of a reasonable timeframe to get it fixed and that if they don't you will organise for the fix yourself.

But if not, then legally the LL could just nail the door shut, and hey-presto all bathrooms will indeed have adequate ventilation.

TBH, if the LL is refusing to do what is usually a very simple fix like this, then I'd be worried about whether they could afford more substantial repairs if something else broke down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

An extractor fan can be bought for as little as €20-€30 and fitted in about 15-25 minutes by anyone that can manage a screwdriver and a few instructions.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manrose-100mm-Profile-Extractor-Timer/dp/B00CJ8LAE6/ref=sr_1_24?m=A2OAJ7377F756P&s=merchant&ie=UTF8&qid=1435789122&sr=1-24

If your Landlord is that hard up then I would be worried more about any deposit that you paid and how you might get it back if a receiver was appointed by a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Is there a shower/bath in the room where the extractor is not working? I don't understand where the issue of hygiene arises?

wyndham wrote: »
    Is there a shower/bath in the room where the extractor is not working? I don't understand where the issue of hygiene arises?

Small non or partially toilet-trained children tend to be quite smelly.

• Advertisement

Well the landlord has agreed to replace the extractor fan. So all is well that ends well.

Advertisement