Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 more days after Lease expiry

Options
  • 01-07-2015 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭

I have a question please.

My 1 year rental lease is going to expire on 10 July but i have to move to another house on 14 July. I informed landlord with a notice 45 days ago about moving out on 14 July.
    Now hes looking to get 1 full month extra rent, just for staying 4 more extra days. I offered to pay 4 days of rent but he said rents are to be paid monthly and my lease has expired and i should be happy that he's allowing me to stay for 4 more days.

Whats the legality on this topic? Is he correct? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mel123

Move in to a hotel or a friends house for 4 days??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Not possible, we are a family and luggage is too much.
    mel123 wrote: »
    Move in to a hotel or a friends house for 4 days??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

He's probably correct. My lease says that I'll be charged for a full month if I overstay my lease.

Could you compromise and suggest paying for 1 full week instead of 4 days?

I offered him an extra week rent already and told him place would be available after 4 days, thought he would be happy to get 3 days extra rent, but hes not :eek:
    He's probably correct. My lease says that I'll be charged for a full month if I overstay my lease.

Could you compromise and suggest paying for 1 full week instead of 4 days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Could you see if there are any short term lease or holiday leases in your area?

A few houses near me are rented out on airbnb. It's not ideal to be moving twice with a family, but it might save you some money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭lau1247

why not ask the new landlord if it is possible to move your stuff over early (Just the stuff, into a particular room for example)?

That way you move once only and for the 4 days, stay in B&B or hostel or hotel.

Just a suggestion

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

You owe him 4 days rent only. He is not doing you a favour letting you stay, he is simply obeying the law.
    check prtb.ie for details.
    F.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

twerg_85 wrote: »
    You owe him 4 days rent only. He is not doing you a favour letting you stay, he is simply obeying the law.
    check prtb.ie for details.
    F.

Could you provide a link?

But he is entitled to charge for the extra days, the LL. does not seem to be preventing them from staying, the discussion is about what op is being charged. While I think charging a full month is taking a liberty, I don't think op should expect to pay only for the day's stayed either.

the other house wont be available to even keep things as current tenant would have his things and they want to clean house before handing it over (i told them we can clean ourselves but they said no) to us.

B&B for 4 days for a family might cost more or less the same.

Couldnt find this specific issue on PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

rent a Large Van for 4 days and store your stuff in it and park it securly somewhere, take a 4 day hotel break with a family room.

• Advertisement

Some topics to consider are that lanlord should charge market rent and landlord may review rent once a year.

At end of fixed term, landlord can review the rent (as a year is up) but can#t charge more than market rent.

Remember, this isnt a new 4 day tenancy where you could say that the going rate per day might be high. This is a continuation of Part 4 tenancy, 4 days of which are subject to reviewed market rent.

Im not a legal expert, so please dont take my word for it. Do know your rights (and obligaitons of course).

F.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Remember, this isnt a new 4 day tenancy where you could say that the going rate per day might be high. This is a continuation of Part 4 tenancy, 4 days of which are subject to reviewed market rent.

Rent is paid periodically in Part 4 tenancies.
    The periodic rental period for the OP- is monthly.
    Technically the landlord is correct to demand the month's rent- however, its poor form (and I'd argue immoral)- despite it being their prerogative.

Also, I think landlord needs to give you 14 days notice (in writing) of any rent increase.
    I may be wrong on this, so do check it out, but if it is 14 days, then won't be in force until after you move out.

Regarding the point about paying rent periodically, do the terms of the (expired) fixed tenancy automatically carry over to the part 4 ?
    I suppose monthly is the norm, but if notice is given I would have thought that payment until the end of the lease would be all that is due ?
    (again, no idea on this one, just seems strange that you would pay beyond end of lease)

F.

There is no issue of rent being increased.

Issue is i am being charged of 1 months rent, whereby i will be using the property for 4 days. Informed about these 4 more extra days (after lease expiry) 45 days in advance to the landlord. I offered to pay 1 week extra rent, however this is not sufficient to landlord and hes asking for a months rent, even though property will be empty for the remainder of 25 days and he may find a tenant within a week easily.
    Also, I think landlord needs to give you 14 days notice (in writing) of any rent increase.
    I may be wrong on this, so do check it out, but if it is 14 days, then won't be in force until after you move out.

Regarding the point about paying rent periodically, do the terms of the (expired) fixed tenancy automatically carry over to the part 4 ?
    I suppose monthly is the norm, but if notice is given I would have thought that payment until the end of the lease would be all that is due ?
    (again, no idea on this one, just seems strange that you would pay beyond end of lease)

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Whatever about the legals, the landlord is "not a very nice person" to do this. (I'm a landlord. Wouldn't even cross my mind to screw someone over like this) The LL suffers no loss by charging the tenant 4 days (increased to new market rate) rent. He/she is just being greedy. If the LL insists and you can't get out of it, then make sure you remain in occupancy until the last possible moment, or else the LL will have your money for the month and already be letting the place again to someone else.

Advertisement