Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with the landlord

Options
  • 01-07-2015 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi there, I'm faced with a problem, I've been living in a same place for 10 years, but recently my landlord started making problems, my shower broke so I called his office told the secretary that is was broken, after some time he gave me a call and was give out that it's my fault that it broke and he was blackmailing me that he will sell the house and if he gets another shower he hopes it wont brake again, and after two weeks since the plumber checked it's still not fixed, and today I have received a latter that my rent is going up by 100 next month and I need to pay the deposit (which I paid at the beginning)

Can someone tell me is it legal, and what can i do about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

When was your last rent increase?

What is your rent like compared to other similar places in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mr.Brown

When was your last rent increase?

What is your rent like compared to other similar places in the area?

I never had any rent increase, most of people on my estate including my neighbour pays the say amount I was paying before the increase as we have the same landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Mr.Brown wrote:
    I never had any rent increase, most of people on my estate including my neighbour pays the say amount I was paying before the increase as we have the same landlord

If you haven't had any rent increase then it's very likely that the increase will be valid. Unless you can go on daft and find similar properties in the locality for cheaper, in which car wouldn't it be better to move?

Your neighbor will find their rent going up too once their annual review happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

Also before you agree to any rent increase make a list of anything you need fixed or repaired before the rent increase.

DaraDali wrote: »
    Also before you agree to any rent increase make a list of anything you need fixed or repaired before the rent increase.

I did that, and i'm waiting for a fix, otherwise i wont pay a single penny
    If you haven't had any rent increase then it's very likely that the increase will be valid. Unless you can go on daft and find similar properties in the locality for cheaper, in which car wouldn't it be better to move?

I'm sure of it that they won't get the increase as it's a crazy amount, and he want to get ride of me

• Advertisement

Mr.Brown wrote: »
    and I need to pay the deposit (which I paid at the beginning)

I don't get this bit, are you saying that he wants you to increase the deposit to match the months rent? i.e. Your rent was say 600 a month and the deposit was 600 euro now your rent is 700 a month and he wants the deposit increased to 700?

I'm sure of it that they won't get the increase as it's a crazy amount, and he want to get ride of me

Before you 100% decide on that, have a look around and try to find a new place to rent that costs less.

Technically have have to give the current LL 8 weeks notice, because you have been there so long. But if you find somewhere else to move to, and your current landlord really does want to get rid of you, then they may agree to you moving a lot more quickly.

(I've been in my place for 8 years, and there has only every been one rent change, which was a slight decrease. Right now, I'm doing everything I can to avoid reminding the LL that I exist, because if I do, then I suspect he will put the rent up. This includes fixing things ourselves if we possibly can.)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

I did that, and i'm waiting for a fix, otherwise i wont pay a single penny

wha...eh...ah now,now, lads ye cant be doin that.....

I don't get this bit, are you saying that he wants you to increase the deposit to match the months rent? i.e. Your rent was say 600 a month and the deposit was 600 euro now your rent is 700 a month and he wants the deposit increased to 700?

What I'm saying is, I'm paying 600 he increased it to 700 and plus 20 Euro each month to build up 600 Euro of deposit which was paid 10 years ago, so 720 a month

What I'm saying is, I'm paying 600 he increased it to 700 and plus 20 Euro each month to build up 600 Euro of deposit which was paid 10 years ago, so 720 a month

So he is asking you to pay the full deposit again?

If so that is total nonsense, what is he saying about the deposit he already has belonging to you?

• Advertisement

So he is asking you to pay the full deposit again?

If so that is total nonsense, what is he saying about the deposit he already has belonging to you?

I was told that there is no deposit on my account, and it need's to be paid. He is making things up just to make me leave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Did you get a receipt for the original deposit that you paid 10 years ago?

Did you get a receipt for the original deposit that you paid 10 years ago?

I hope I still have it somewhere around the house, if he will contact me again about the deposit I will show it to him

I hope I still have it somewhere around the house, if he will contact me again about the deposit I will show it to him

If you don't have the receipt, then I can understand why he's saying your didn't pay it.

But I wonder if you have mis-understood the extra 20. Perhaps he is just asking you to pay an extra 20 for five months, to bring your deposit up to the same level as the new rent. For a long-term tenancy, I don't actually think that is unreasonable.

If you don't have the receipt, then I can understand why he's saying your didn't pay it.

But I wonder if you have mis-understood the extra 20. Perhaps he is just asking you to pay an extra 20 for five months, to bring your deposit up to the same level as the new rent. For a long-term tenancy, I don't actually think that is unreasonable.

I have the receipt, no i need to pay extra 20 each month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Pac2015

I have the receipt, no i need to pay extra 20 each month

I am baffled by the carry on of landlords some people are just crazy I am a landlord myself and would never carry on like these people mind you I also rent a house and my LL is NUTS never repairs anything and I have been there since July 2012, the front door was replaced last year as the original one actually fell out on top of my husband !!
    The bare walls are still not plastered or painted she told us to do it if we were that bothered and I told her to go take a running jump.
    But back to your problem, your LL must give you a letter in writing informing you of the rise in rent 28 days before they want to implement it, in reply you can then list of all the things that need fixing before paying out anything so by law if this letter is not issued his rise in rent is null and void.
    He sounds like a night mare, plus its not legal to request the deposit part of it either.
    Ring the PRTB to get advice or Citizens Information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

No rent increase in a decade?!

I'd buy the shower myself!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭mayway

Absolutely! That's the bargain of the century. I would recommend anyone getting that deal to stay absolutely quiet and get things fixed as and when they break and remain the ideal tenant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Pac2015

I think the point the OP is making that is he is using bullying tactics and also requesting an increase in the deposit amount which is not legal and nor will the rent increase request unless he issues and letter 28 days before hand stating he wants the increase to go inline with market value.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

mayway wrote: »
    Absolutely! That's the bargain of the century. I would recommend anyone getting that deal to stay absolutely quiet and get things fixed as and when they break and remain the ideal tenant!

Possibly also no rent reduction when rents all around were falling post 2008/9???

• Advertisement
Advertisement