Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horse stone bruise

• 01-07-2015 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Hi we have 9 year old irish sports horse. Meh is in great health at outdoor livery (full) no problems at all. My son mentioned that his right front leg has stone bruise. I watched him walking this morning which is ok but you can see on him going at a slightly faster pace that there is an issue which is obviously causing the horse some distress. His shoes are regularity changed. What is the cure for this ? A bandage of some sort was suggested by another experience horse owner there. Is there some sort of " dettol" equivalent I could buy for the horse to speed up this ailement? He would have picked it up around the yard where there are stones as there is everywhere thanks paddy

If video loaded ok you can see just the end the limp as horse road towards me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

We can't offer medical/vet advice but it might be worth giving your farrier or vet a quick call to ask for advice :) a stone bruise isn't serious though and usually clears up completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

sup_dude wrote: »
    We can't offer medical/vet advice but it might be worth giving your farrier or vet a quick call to ask for advice :) a stone bruise isn't serious though and usually clears up completely.

Thks I wasn't really looking for medical / vet advice per se. Just advice from other horse owners to whom I'm sure this is a regular run of the mill issue , really thks a lot. I'm sure it's an everyday event with a simple cure that doesn't mostly require a professional view. Appreciate your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Raised Eyebrow

A horse with a stone bruise while not serious when treated generally is extremely lame and a faster pace would be out of the question. As Sup Dude said a farrier or vet needs to see him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

If there is trapped puss under the sole then your farrier may need to dig out a hole to allow the gunk out. You should see an area of bruising or discomfort if you can test the area using hoof testers.

You can also poultice the area with animal lintex and a boot made from vetwrap and insulation tape. An experienced owner should be able to show you how to do this.

Your farrier will be able to have a look and tell you the best way forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

otwb1 wrote: »
    If there is trapped puss under the sole then your farrier may need to dig out a hole to allow the gunk out. You should see an area of bruising or discomfort if you can test the area using hoof testers.

You can also poultice the area with animal lintex and a boot made from vetwrap and insulation tape. An experienced owner should be able to show you how to do this.

Your farrier will be able to have a look and tell you the best way forward.

Please as above post says - get your farrier out before doing anything. For certain injuries, poultices should not be done on a shod foot. Really important to find out what's wrong before treating.

• Advertisement
Advertisement