Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canicross

• 01-07-2015 7:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I've been doing a bit of jogging with Cooper and we have worked up to 5k :) I have a harness for him but am currently holding onto the lead. I'm debating about getting a proper canicross belt but I'm not sure so looking for advice.

He's learning to run in front of me, but at times will also be alongside me (most likely because I'm so slow!). He'll still get it into his mind on occasional runs to try and jump up on me and / or want to play tug of war with the lead but generally a firm 'no' with a finger held up is enough to stop him. However he likes to jump into hedges to try and catch the critters he can hear (he has actually caught mice a few times) and if we see a cat he will also try to take off. At least with the lead in my hand I am able to either brace and / or try to pull him back, but I'm worried that without that I'm going to be pulled over so i'm interested in hearing experiences from anyone using a belt.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I use a belt, have done for years, and always put it on, even if only walking one dog for a short while. I feel so much safer with them on a belt. Now when I say safer, I mean that the dog isn't going to get loose. I did have to wrap my arms around a dog poo bin once to stop when attached to two huskies and a suicidal squirrel ran in front of us, but the dogs stayed safe :p I've never been pulled over, you just have to compensate, by leaning backwards when necessary.

I use a walking belt for walking, and a canicross belt with leg loops for running. I love the loops, they look as though they might be uncomfortable, but they're not at all, and they help the belt to stay down on the hips, so the dog is pulling from the correct position. Without the leg loops, the belt will often ride up on the back, which can lead to back pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I would love to get the belt, at the moment I just have a long lead that goes around my waist and is long enough to give Pepper a good distance in front of me. Maybe once I've got my puppy and I have money again I'll get the belt and a lead that has a bungee so if she decides to take off, she's not going to hurt her back.

I've never been pulled too hard, but my dog is a sheltie so even if she pulled her very hardest, she's never going to move me if I don't want to. It's nice though because if I'm getting too tired and thinking of slowing to a walk, she give me an extra little pull to keep going.

Though I think the people of Carrigaline think I'm totally crazy. Especially when I let her off lead and tell her anti or clock and she goes off running around tree trunks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lotstolearn

I suggest you contact Tails and Trails. They supply Canicross equipment and hold training and taster classes also. I think Karen, who runs it, may be in Cork soon. Do contact her, she is very knowledgeable and helpful

Advertisement