Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information on becoming a horse riding instructor.

Options
  • 01-07-2015 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am 18 and wish to qualify as a horse riding instructor. I am 18 and plan to go to university in September. I am unfortunately at a loss and have no idea how to go about completing the necessary tests to qualify. I am aware there is a FAS course and that the BHS have stages. What is the best way to go?
    what stages do I need to complete?
    how do I register?
    what does this allow me to teach?
    What level of riding is needed?
    what type of questions are asked?
    Is it too much work to do (studying) along with a full time university course?

Sorry for all the questions, al information given is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks very much, David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Have you much experience with horses? For instructing, you'll need your BHS Stage 1 and 2 before you do your PTT which will allow you to instruct. You can then further that with other courses such as BHS Assistant Instructor (after Stage 3), which then leads to your HSI coaching exams. However, PTT is the most basic set of exams you will need to sit.

http://www.bhs.org.uk/training-and-qualifications/exams-and-qualifications/find-exams/exams/bhs-preliminary-teaching-test

For a good idea as to what is expected, there are books on the different Stages of BHS. The link above tells you a bit about PTT. There are courses for each exam in various equestrian centres about the country which would be recommended, even if you work at a high level as you never know what bad habits you've gotten.

Whether it's too much work really depends on what course you do, your current level of equestrian knowledge, your ability to organise time etc., but I know someone who did their Stage 1 during first year so it's definitely somewhat possible but this depends entirely on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 David997

Thank you very much!!! I have about 6/7 years experience but I don't own my own horse! Is it expensive? and do you have to undergo training before it or can you prepare independently? is PTT another name for level 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 David997

Also I am from the republic of Ireland is it different?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

You can prepare independently if you wish.

Nope, PTT is seperate to Stage 3.

As for cost, you need to become a member of BHS first, which £49. The rest is http://www.bhs.org.uk/~/media/BHS/Files/PDF%20Documents/Exams/BHS%20Exam%20Fees%202014.ashx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Also, you will need to complete the riding and road safety test before you can do Stage 2. The stage 2 care section includes lunging so you will need to be able to confidently lunge a horse. Your best bet is to get a few lessons at an exam centre before each exam and I would highly recommend a practice riding and road safety test as it would be quite confusing going into it blind.

What are you going to study at uni, as a matter of interest? Is it equine related?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 tommy090

David997 wrote: »
    I am 18 and wish to qualify as a horse riding instructor. I am 18 and plan to go to university in September. I am unfortunately at a loss and have no idea how to go about completing the necessary tests to qualify. I am aware there is a FAS course and that the BHS have stages. What is the best way to go?
    what stages do I need to complete?
    how do I register?
    what does this allow me to teach?
    What level of riding is needed?
    what type of questions are asked?
    Is it too much work to do (studying) along with a full time university course?

Sorry for all the questions, al information given is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks very much, David

Hey there!

I'm doing this FAS course & honestly it's the best decision I've ever made. I started 6 months ago and already have my Riding & Road Safety, Equine Tourism, Stage 1 & 2... Saying that, it is extremely hard work! Stage 1 to 2 is a big step up, a lot of people failed Stage 2 at my centre as they are quit picky and everything must be done right, lunging is especially difficult so if you have no experience with this (doing it the BHS way!) then you will struggle... once you pass your riding & road, stage 1 and stage 2 then you can go forward and do your PTT exam and again if you have no experience teaching or guidance from a tutor then you will not get very far, I personally think the PTT is most difficult & I am struggling immensely with this because of confidence, I may not do my PTT and just do Stage 3, which you can do.
    Stage 1 riding is just basic, you've been riding for 6 years so should be fine. The Stage 2 is more difficult: first you do a flatwork exam, you will ride 2 horses, you must show a balanced seat, you will ride trot and Maybe canter without stirrups you must stay balanced and not cling on for dear life, you may also trot with reins in one hand and change rein, at the end of this they will let you know whether you got through to the jumping bit. In the jumping, again you'll ride 2 horses, you will have a practice over a small x-pole first (you do this twice I think) then you jump the course of jumps on your horse, it's about 80cm, you'll then dismount and change to another horse and do this again. You must again say in sync with the horse, don't get ahead of it, don't get left behind, you must be able to control the horse if he's a lively one (my 2nd horse was crazy) or make the horse go if he's a lazy one! At any time during the jumping exam the examiner can ask you to leave if they don't feel like you're up to the standard.
    You should know all your stable management and be very good at lunging for stage 2!
    As for expense, all the exams are very expensive especially if you have to repeat. I don't think you would achieve it either with having to go to college aswell, we've been doing it 5 days a week and even then a lot of people have failed. I don't think it's manageable on your own either, you'd need to go to BHS approved riding school for training or just do what I done and join a course

Advertisement