Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

upper/lower

• 01-07-2015 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭

anyone recommend good upper/lower 4 day split?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Alzo90

lyle mcdonalds bulking routine looks good but I haven't tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    anyone recommend good upper/lower 4 day split?

5/3/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

http://muscleandbrawn.com/early-intermediate-strength-building-4-day-split/

i like the look of this but the 3rd day seems a bit much??

anyone suggest a different way to do day 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What do you want out of the program?

What do you want out of the program?

Mainly strenght then muscle

• Advertisement

http://muscleandbrawn.com/early-intermediate-strength-building-4-day-split/

i like the look of this but the 3rd day seems a bit much??

anyone suggest a different way to do day 3?

Reps are far too high. Look at wendlers 5/3/1 and the boring but big alternate.

Reps are far too high. Look at wendlers 5/3/1 and the boring but big alternate.

reps arent that high??? 20 reps split over 3 sets for squat?

reps arent that high??? 20 reps split over 3 sets for squat?

Sorry, you are correct - i was unfamiliar with their rep goal system. That system in and of itself would put me off. The progam looks overly complicated and while you will make progress on it there are simpler and more effective programs to look at. If you are a beginner then just stick to a full body 3 times a week workout, like stronglifts and if you want a 4 day split wendlers is quite good.

Sorry, you are correct - i was unfamiliar with their rep goal system. That system in and of itself would put me off. The progam looks overly complicated and while you will make progress on it there are simpler and more effective programs to look at. If you are a beginner then just stick to a full body 3 times a week workout, like stronglifts and if you want a 4 day split wendlers is quite good.

I remember reading someone explain this target total reps across X sets as basicallly trying to do more total reps the next time for progressive overload.

It's probably a personal thing but I'd prefer to have a prescribed sets/reps scheme with a provision for AMRAP on the last set rather than having a target of 30 reps for 4 sets and going 10, 9, 6, 5

I remember reading someone explain this target total reps across X sets as basicallly trying to do more total reps the next time for progressive overload.

It's probably a personal thing but I'd prefer to have a prescribed sets/reps scheme with a provision for AMRAP on the last set rather than having a target of 30 reps for 4 sets and going 10, 9, 6, 5

Its looks almost like you go to failure each set and the program is called HUGE GAINS or something, i wouldnt be a fan of that sort of program. Setting aside the name and rep system it just looks overly complicated.

• Advertisement

i like the look of this program but the 3rd day is confusing

Here's a simple program to get stronger

thank you that looks great!!! dont know how i missed it

the main lift progression is that weekly?
    so 70 % week one 75% week 2 etc?

Hanleys program is nice and simple alright, hard to beat a 5x5 for simplicity though.

OP - what stage are you at in your training - what programs have you done before, are you new to this or at it a while etc.

Hanleys program is nice and simple alright, hard to beat a 5x5 for simplicity though.

OP - what stage are you at in your training - what programs have you done before, are you new to this or at it a while etc.

training nearly 3 years started on gym instructors program he did for me then i did stronglifts for a few months then all pros for a few months.

recently been going to a gym that only does classes and have been doing a strength and conditioning classes which focus on mainly barbell stuff which i enjoy but the class structure just isnt working for me with my job so going back to a normal gym, hence looking for a workout

training nearly 3 years started on gym instructors program he did for me then i did stronglifts for a few months then all pros for a few months.

recently been going to a gym that only does classes and have been doing a strength and conditioning classes which focus on mainly barbell stuff which i enjoy but the class structure just isnt working for me with my job so going back to a normal gym, hence looking for a workout

Ok, so you have probably moved past daily gains and are looking at weekly or monthly gains - which is it? if you can do a 3x fullbody and make progress then stick to that but if you are bored of it or need more time to recover then a split is fine. Any program that has the main compound lifts and then something else that helps that lift and then maybe some accessory work is grand. I am just a fan of 5/3/1 as it autoadjusts and is very simple to follow.

Ok, so you have probably moved past daily gains and are looking at weekly or monthly gains - which is it? if you can do a 3x fullbody and make progress then stick to that but if you are bored of it or need more time to recover then a split is fine. Any program that has the main compound lifts and then something else that helps that lift and then maybe some accessory work is grand. I am just a fan of 5/3/1 as it autoadjusts and is very simple to follow.

going to give hanleys program just trying to work out what to put with each lift

going to give hanleys program just trying to work out what to put with each lift

Plenty of good options.

Anything in mind yet?

Plenty of good options.

Anything in mind yet?

flat bench
    incline db press
    decline bb press
    cable flys
    close grip bench

squat
    rdl
    Bulgarian split squat
    leg extensions
    standing leg curl

deadlift
    rack pulls
    bent over row
    seated cable row
    v grip pulldown

ohp
    seated dumbell press
    arnold press
    side laterial
    shrugs

thats a rough idea any suggestions?

flat bench
    incline db press
    decline bb press
    cable flys
    close grip bench

squat
    rdl
    Bulgarian split squat
    leg extensions
    standing leg curl

deadlift
    rack pulls
    bent over row
    seated cable row
    v grip pulldown

ohp
    seated dumbell press
    arnold press
    side laterial
    shrugs

thats a rough idea any suggestions?

I'd be inclined to drop the decline BB press and bringing in some pulling. Maybe reverse flys instead of seated DB OHP as well.

But that's just me

• Advertisement

I'd be inclined to drop the decline BB press and bringing in some pulling. Maybe reverse flys instead of seated DB OHP as well.

But that's just me

what kind of pulling exercise? and why a pulling exercise?

not a fan of reverse flys maybe upright row? or face pull?

what kind of pulling exercise? and why a pulling exercise?

not a fan of reverse flys maybe upright row? or face pull?

Pulling exercise for your upper back. Strengthens and stabilises your bench set up.

Face pull is a good call. Just helps with rear delts.

Just make sure that over the course of the week's workouts that you don't skew the push:pull ratio too far in favour of pushing

starting this program tomorrow just a few opinions wanted:

over head press Vs push press

lunges Vs Bulgarian split squats

close grip bench Vs ez skull crushers

Personally, it's OHP for first one but it depends what you're training for.

As for the leg and triceps options, I wouldn't go either/or. I'd probably do one for 6 weeks then switch.

Personally, it's OHP for first one but it depends what you're training for.

As for the leg and triceps options, I wouldn't go either/or. I'd probably do one for 6 weeks then switch.

what would you have as leg and tricep?

what would you have as leg and tricep?

Either. If I was running it I'd do 2 cycles and switch. I do CGBP and skullcrushers as it is though.

And both lunges and split squats are good. Subtle differences between the two so wouldn't necessarily pick one over the other. Slight personal preference for split squats but that's just me.

Either. If I was running it I'd do 2 cycles and switch. I do CGBP and skullcrushers as it is though.

And both lunges and split squats are good. Subtle differences between the two so wouldn't necessarily pick one over the other. Slight personal preference for split squats but that's just me.

So leave it the way I have it? Do CGBP and splits for first 12 weeks then switch to lunges and skulls for second?

You could change for each 6-week cycle.

But yeah you can run it with one and then change. The choices aren't between good and bad but more between slightly different exercises.

day one done and it was tougher that i expected. goin to run it bench,deadlift,ohp,squat

just curious about doing cardio after each workout?

• Advertisement

Probably safest to stay curious about it...

day one done and it was tougher that i expected. goin to run it bench,deadlift,ohp,squat

Going muscle/strength/size is harder with additional cardio - you'll need to eat back the calories

Advertisement