Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emotional

• 01-07-2015 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Ok this is a bit strange. I had a beautiful baby boy a month ago! He truly is the best thing to ever happen to me and I love him to bits! I've felt great since the birth. But ever since I've been getting really emotional seeing pregnant women/ women announcing they're pregnant/ announcing births! It's not that I'm jealous of them and I don't really miss being pregnant. I don't understand it, I just feel really overwhelmed when I see these other women! I'm not even sure if it's in a sad or happy way, I don't know what I'm feeling! Me and my partner both agree that we won't be trying for a baby for at least another 3 years and I'm happy with that. I'm confused as I never thought I'd feel this way! I even had to turn off the radio the other day when a woman was talking about her birth story! 😱

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

I've no explanation as to why, but I'm the same. Cept I am jealous, I really miss being pregnant, much as I hated it at times, I miss my bump and the anticipation. I adore my monkey, don't get me wrong, but can't wait for another one. Although that'll be a year or 2 away, I need some sleep first!! And my hormones are seriously all over the place, I cry at everything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I was the same, felt jealous of pregnant women, as I was carting around my three week old son! It's a very strange realisation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Yep, I felt like this sometimes too.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Yep, I was seriously broody right after having the baby.

I put it down to biological urges. You are more likely to fall pregnant after you've had a baby it seems. I'm guessing that way back when we lived in caves and there was a high infant mortality rate and death in childbirth was common it was nature's way of making sure we churn 'em out to ensure the survival of the species?

I found having a 1 year old far easier than a 2.5 year old so if I was planning another baby, and baby was 6months to a year old, I'd have said grand, bring it on, but if the older one was 2.5 I'd have been more inclined to hold off until after the craziness of the toddler years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I am emotional because we are done having babies...and he is almost out of 0-3 month old clothes

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I work on Holles Street when I came back to work after ML, I wanted to push every pregnant woman I seen under the nearest car.

I am so jealous of everyone starting off on their journey when mine is over and I am stuck in a stupid sweaty office, with stupid people, doing stupid work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

It only occured to me recently that this is what broodiness feels like, I thought I was some sort of jealous madwoman :D I ended up conceiving again when my first was only 3 months old because of it :eek: After no 2 was born I felt mildly broody for the first few months but a teething toddler and a cranky 4 month old in the middle of a sleep regression put a swift end to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I think it's because the nine months of pregnancy are full of excitement and anticipation building up to the main event itself, i.e. the birth of the baby, that it's quite normal to feel a bit deflated afterwards. I mean of course you'll have loads of milestones as they grow up, but it's not the same as feeling a baby growing bigger inside you when you're pregnant. Also I think you feel less needed once the baby comes, I mean theoretically anyone could take over the care of a newborn, whereas when you're pregnant the baby is solely reliant on the mother for life.

I felt very mixed emotions when I saw pregnant women after having a baby. It was a weird mix of terror and excitement on their behalf. I certainly didn't feel jealous of them, and - while I was a bit broody - I didn't really want to get pregnant at all at the time. But it was more like, I'd look at them and wonder had they any idea what was in store for them!

And then of course there's the fact that everybody warns you how fast the early weeks fly by - but you only really realise it when it's your turn! I always got quite emotional finding he'd outgrown yet another favourite babygro etc, I still find it weird now coming across the tiny ones and thinking that he once fit inside them. Even at only a couple of weeks old he was starting to outgrow the Newborn size ones, and it freaked me out that time was going by so quickly, and I sort of felt guilty that between lack of sleep and other things going on, that I wasn't making the most of enjoying the early weeks/months, and he'd be a toddler before I knew it. He is a toddler now, and I still amn't used to thinking of him that way, I still talk about my baby rather than my toddler ... I guess it's true for most mothers that they'll always be your baby, no matter how old they are!

Advertisement