Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney to Waterville - Balligisheen pass.

Options
  • 01-07-2015 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Anyone driven this road,looks narrow but overall what is it like,and traffic levels?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

its not too bas - narrow in sections but a clear view, so no real issues. Very little traffic even at peak times of Friday evening / sunday evening.

In case you are thinking of using it on saturday, an unofficial ring of kerry cycle is taking place on that road by the hardy cyclists. - From what I've heard its about 500+ that will be doing that route, so you'll just have to be a little careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bof

Yeah its not too bad for driving. The only dodgy section is on the Waterville side of the pass itself as you descend. Be very careful driving downhill (or uphill if you are heading to Killarney). Your view of the road is very restricted in parts. Take it handy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Radio5

It's a while since I drove it but I'd agree with the above. Visibility is poor enough in parts and it's narrow in places, so it helps to be able to reverse properly!

Awesome scenery too.

It's a wonderful route, with great views. Not a wide road, and a lot of bends just before the pass itself - similar to nearby Ballaghbeama, but surface pretty good on both. Give yourself time to stop and take in the scenery, over Glencar, across to the Reeks, Mullaghanattin, Beann, maybe pop into Cloon Lake and try to figure out a climbing route up the cliff at the back of it to a fantastic hidden valley.

Advertisement