Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy dog next door - rented house

Options
  • 01-07-2015 9:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭

Neighbours have moved in next door with a large dog and he is incredibly noisy. He is let out in the garden which runs adjacent to our bedrooms and the kids can't sleep at night with him barking. I've asked them twice to bring the dog in so the kids can sleep but the ignore us. I tried texting and calling the landlady to ask her to intervene but nothing.

Where do we go from here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Try contacting your local council dog warden. See what they say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

He's a really big dog (pup still) and they never bring him for a walk. He's very energetic and it's so cruel keeping him there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

CaraMay wrote: »
    He's a really big dog (pup still) and they never bring him for a walk. He's very energetic and it's so cruel keeping him there.
    contact the local ISPCA

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If its keeping you awake at night you need to be over there ringing his doorbell and disturbing their sleep aswell until they get the message, dont back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Dog warden, SPCA, Gardaí, all a waste of time, the only option is the district court, but I wouldn't be hoping for an early hearing.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    If its keeping you awake at night you need to be over there ringing his doorbell and disturbing their sleep aswell until they get the message, dont back down.

This.

And I'm a dog owner - ignorance of the highest order from the neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

You may need to bring a third party PRTB claim against the landlord for failure to enforce tenant obligations. Read up on it and start collecting evidence of disturbance, efforts to resolve etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

I had a similar problem. A lot of people have no idea what torture a non-stop barking dog is. An Alsation was two doors down from me and barked incessantly and was rarely brought out. It drove me mad, especially when I worked from home. The people in question just told me to f*** off when I approached them and the other neighbours didn't have a problem with it. It was one of the reasons I moved out of the house. I don't think knocking on someone's door late at night is a good idea, especially as you are dealing with inconsiderate neighbours such as these. A nightmare scenario for you. No advice I'm afraid, just empathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Thargor wrote: »

Except Id be making it the landlords problem rather than the tenants in this case.

They bring him in at night. It's most annoying trying to get kids (and us) asleep euro the barking

• Advertisement

He's outside barking again and I've explained to them we have kids trying to sleep from 8-9. On top of that they now sit in their driveway beeping the horn every time they drive in.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

You may need to bring a third party PRTB claim against the landlord for failure to enforce tenant obligations. Read up on it and start collecting evidence of disturbance, efforts to resolve etc.

+1 ,you can make this the landladys problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Except Id be making it the landlords problem rather than the tenants in this case.

I

I texted the landlord a couple of times (to have it on record) and she didn't reply. I've sent her an email making a formal complaint and advising her I would be complaining to the prtb if she doesn't sort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I texted the landlord a couple of times (to have it on record) and she didn't reply. I've sent her an email making a formal complaint and advising her I would be complaining to the prtb if she doesn't sort it.

I

It's the correct contact details as they have a business and those are the details she gave me before (she had asked me to help find tenants before for the house and she went ahead and put in pure trouble herself).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Dogowner55

He's outside barking again and I've explained to them we have kids trying to sleep from 8-9. On top of that they now sit in their driveway beeping the horn every time they drive in.

Night hours are 11.00 pm until 7.00 am. Is the dog in and quite for them hours? You cannot complain about the dog being out at 8/9 o'clock it still early and the dog should be allowed to play outside.

If it's making noise after 11 get a time stamp recording and report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Dogowner55 wrote:
    Night hours are 11.00 pm until 7.00 am. Is the dog in and quite for them hours? You cannot complain about the dog being out at 8/9 o'clock it still early and the dog should be allowed to play outside.

I presume from what the OP is saying he is not outside playing. Sounds like he's outside being anxious and looking for company/attention. Barks from a playing dog are not annoying. They're not constant and don't tend to be as high pitched.

Your neighbours sound pig ignorant OP. Anyone beeping their horn outside other people's houses has zero consideration, never mind the poor dog!

I presume from what the OP is saying he is not outside playing. Sounds like he's outside being anxious and looking for company/attention. Barks from a playing dog are not annoying. They're not constant and don't tend to be as high pitched.

Your neighbours sound pig ignorant OP. Anyone beeping their horn outside other people's houses has zero consideration, never mind the poor dog!

Doesn't matter as long as the dog is quite by 11 and you don't know why he is barking he could be happy, it sounds like op wants them to stop life by 8pm which is madness. My neighbour once tried to tell me not to be outside after 8pm when she had a kid, told her to jog on I will enjoy my garden as I see fit just cause she decided to spawn doesn't mean I will change my lifestyle

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

If you are going to do anything formal about it, make sure you keep a record of how often it happens and for how long for. If you can take a audio recording of the barking. And keep a record of how and when you contacted the landlord too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Dogowner55 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter as long as the dog is quite by 11 and you don't know why he is barking he could be happy, it sounds like op wants them to stop life by 8pm which is madness. My neighbour once tried to tell me not to be outside after 8pm when she had a kid, told her to jog on I will enjoy my garden as I see fit just cause she decided to spawn doesn't mean I will change my lifestyle

It's actually very easy for anyone with even a minute amount of experience with dogs to tell the difference between playful and distressed barking.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    It's actually very easy for anyone with even a minute amount of experience with dogs to tell the difference between playful and distressed barking.

How do you know, there is every chance it's happy outside at 8pm playing

How do you know, there is every chance it's happy outside at 8pm playing

I just told you, it's very easy to tell the difference between a happy bark and a distressed one. I didn't say I knew, I said it was easy to tell. The OP would more than likely be able to tell especially since she can most likely see the dog as well as hear it. Happy dogs generally don't tend to make noise, and if they bark it is usually when very excited and even then is not continuous.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I just told you, it's very easy to tell the difference between a happy bark and a distressed one. I didn't say I knew, I said it was easy to tell. The OP would more than likely be able to tell especially since she can most likely see the dog as well as hear it. Happy dogs generally don't tend to make noise, and if they bark it is usually when very excited and even then is not continuous.

My neighbours have westie they dote over that has the most awful whine which you think he was in pain but he not. You cannot tell if heis happy or not from his bark

My neighbours have westie they dote over that has the most awful whine which you think he was in pain but he not. You cannot tell if heis happy or not from his bark

If he's whining constantly for an hour he is not happy. Besides which, a whine is not a bark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Dogs dont bark constantly unless they're bored or looking for attention. All dogs bark for a minute or two but prolonged barking is a sign of an unhappy frustrated animal. My neighbours dog is left outdoors in a concrete yard from before 7 am until 11 pm . Not too bad these days but when the evenings get shorter he will bark literally nonstop from 6pm until 11 pm. Anyone take the district court route? If dog not barking between 11pm and 7am, would the courts ignore a complaint? OP needs this as an option if the landlord fails to act. Maybe if tenants get a warning of court, they'll cop on?

seefin wrote: »
    Dogs dont bark constantly unless they're bored or looking for attention. All dogs bark for a minute or two but prolonged barking is a sign of an unhappy frustrated animal. My neighbours dog is left outdoors in a concrete yard from before 7 am until 11 pm . Not too bad these days but when the evenings get shorter he will bark literally nonstop from 6pm until 11 pm. Anyone take the district court route? If dog not barking between 11pm and 7am, would the courts ignore a complaint? OP needs this as an option if the landlord fails to act. Maybe if tenants get a warning of court, they'll cop on?

No if it stops between those hrs, report it to the dog warden if you think it's in pain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

seefin wrote: »

From a relative's experience absolutely nothing can ever or will ever be done about barking dogs. Her near neighbours got a small dog which they left in the back garden all the time, while it was continually yapping at them looking in as they sat watching TV. This went on day and night and the dog warden could do nothing as it was fed and not obviously mistreated. Eventually a group of neighbours went down the third-party PRTB route to the landlord and the dog was removed. About three weeks later the tenants got another small dog but thankfully they moved out soon after.

This is a pup that's getting very very big. I would think it's a Shepard cross of some type. I think the problem is that he is cooped up a lot and his only exercise is in a small garden for a small amount of time per day. For the first time ever I saw them walking him this evening and the man couldn't control him on the lead. I guess that's why they just let him stay in the garden. A dog that size needs minimum 2 vigorous walks per day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

If it's making noise after 11 get a time
    stamp recording and report it.

If there is a pattern and enough recordings of the barking plus evidence or statements from other neighbours an asbo can be served by the local gardai through the supt., without you ever having to go to court.
    I know because a diligent garda in my location solved this very problem for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement