Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy dog next door - rented house

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

How can your landlord sort out a barking dog in a neighbouring property?? I have had this issue myself. Nobody will take this seriously...It's a common problem in certain estates as is the horn beeping..It doesn't bother a lot of people. Texting your landlord is certainly not the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

From citizensinformation.ie

" Barking dogs

Excessive dog barking that causes a nuisance is an offence. You may be able to solve such problems by talking to the dog owner.

If you don’t get a satisfactory response, you may complain to the District Court and seek a hearing. When you have got a court date, you must inform the dog owner of your complaint by using the form prescribed for this purpose under Section 25 of the Control of Dogs Act 1986. These forms are available from the District Courts and from local authorities.The court may make an order requiring the occupier of the premises in which the dog is kept to abate the nuisance by exercising due control over a dog.

The court may limit the number of dogs that can be kept on a premises or may direct that a dog be delivered to a dog warden to be dealt with as unwanted."

If you go down the District Court route you will need evidence. Make a recording of the barking dog from inside your property. Note the time. Keep a log of any incidences of nuisance. Date, times, etc. You will also need to show the court that you made an effort to engage with your neighbour about the situation. Send them a registered letter outlining the nuisance issues. Keep a copy of the letter and print off confirmation that the letter was received.

It doesn't cost much for the district court application and you won't need to engage a solicitor. You just explain your situation and show the evidence you have. The other side will give their version and the judge will make their decision.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    How can your landlord sort out a barking dog in a neighbouring property?? I have had this issue myself. Nobody will take this seriously...It's a common problem in certain estates as is the horn beeping..It doesn't bother a lot of people. Texting your landlord is certainly not the answer.

She is texting the neighbours landlord.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

This is the dog. what is he?

dog.JPG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Dogowner55

CaraMay wrote: »

dog.JPG

Looks like a very healthy and pretty mongrel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

I had a noisy dog like this. I didnt even know he was noisy or didn't realise she was as bad as she was. I was just sleeping through it and took no notice. One day the neighbour explained it to me and it actually surprised me.

My solution was to get a shed that the dog could go into. Even tough i actually had 2 large kennels for the small terrier it made a difference. I now have a shed with the door left open with a dog bed down the back of it and she just sleeps all night with another dog i have.

People automatically think a person with a dog like this is being a scumbag but they mightn't even know its as bad as it is.

My advice would be that if you haven't spoke to them just go in and speak to them. If they actually are aware of it and have done nothing go in and knock on their door during the night when the dog is barking.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

dog.JPG

Im not too sure on the breed unfortunately but I have to laugh at the photo....you were caught rapid! :)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

dog.JPG

He's a cutie! Looks to me like a mix of german shepherd and collie (possibly a few other bits too) Definitely the sort of dog that would need a good long walk every day. If the poor thing's is only being let in the garden for exercise, it's no wonder that he was difficult to walk when he finally was brought out!

Well I was delighted that the email to the landlord seemed to work until I got a snotty and scary email from the landlady.

She stated the following "We have got complaints about you and have been sent pictures as evidence and certainly you are anything but a model neighbour. "

I cannot think of one thing other than drinks we had one night where my parents and sister in law stayed until around 1230. There was no music / singing etc and we sat as far away from their house as possible and did keep the noise down.

My concern is that my son has soecial needs and has taken to stripping off and running around. We go to bed early every night and the alarm etc had never gone off...

I rang the guards and said we are entitled to those photos. I am really concerned they are taking photos of us / kids while we are outside. There is absolutely nothing else to photo.

What are my rights? I emailed her back to ask if photos were of my child and she said no but they guard said we are entitled to all photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The landlady obviously wants to keep the tenants, and is trying to bully you into backing down.

Don't. Tell her either she sorts out the noise problem or you'll be making it official via the PRTB. I'd also get on to the Environmental Services at the local council. Report the barking as a noise nuisance.

• Advertisement

She told me she would report me due to this 'party' and these photos????

She told me she would report me due to this 'party' and these photos????

Does the dog make noise after 11pm? You have admitted you have made noise after 11pm which was wrong.

Think of the dog outside enjoying himself as like your kid you admmited does go off both annoy each of you but it's part of life

Dogowner55 wrote: »
    Does the dog make noise after 11pm? You have admitted you have made noise after 11pm which was wrong.

Think of the dog outside enjoying himself as like your kid you admmited does go off both annoy each of you but it's part of life

It was 5 adults talking and no music etc so hardly the end of the world but it was til around 1230.

The dog has stopped now but I'm concerned what photos the neighbours have been taking. The dog is small fry compared to that

[
    It was 5 adults talking and no music etc so hardly the end of the world but it was til around 1230.

The dog has stopped now but I'm concerned what photos the neighbours have been taking. The dog is small fry compared to that

Still making noise during quiet hours very inconsiderate, also why are you complaining about photo's when you are doing it too?

QUOTE=CaraMay;96170954]This is the dog. what is he?

dog.JPG[/QUOTE]

Still making noise during quiet hours very inconsiderate, also why are you complaining about photo's when you are doing it too?

dog.JPG

[

QUOTE=CaraMay;96170954]This is the dog. what is he?

dog.JPG
    [/QUOTE]

Once in 18 months and not say and night. You notice I have no picture of them up there

It's constructive advice I'm looking for. Are they entitled to take photos of us humans in our own property.

Once in 18 months and not say and night. You notice I have no picture of them up there

It's constructive advice I'm looking for. Are they entitled to take photos of us humans in our own property.[/QUOTE]

The issue is not what the pics are being taken of but it evades the private garden, it seems you both have broken each others privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Neighbours have moved in next door with a large dog and he is incredibly noisy. He is let out in the garden which runs adjacent to our bedrooms and the kids can't sleep at night with him barking. I've asked them twice to bring the dog in so the kids can sleep but the ignore us. I tried texting and calling the landlady to ask her to intervene but nothing.

Where do we go from here?

I would buy a sheep dog and let it roam in your garden all the time, they make some racket, neighbour might get the message :D

It's constructive advice I'm looking for. Are they entitled to take photos of us humans in our own property.

The issue is not what the pics are being taken of but it evades the private garden, it seems you both have broken each others privacy.[/QUOTE]

I understand you could be the house owner and are clearly on their side.

I want to know what the photos are of and I'm seriously concerned it my child

I understand you could be the house owner and are clearly on their side.

I want to know what the photos are of and I'm seriously concerned it my child

LL doesn't have to give them you though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

So what if they have taken photos?

Seriously? What difference does it make? You don't cover yourself head to toe in public presumably so your image has been captured by phone camera and CCTV all over the place.

What is your fear regarding photos? I don't understand what could be done with them that you are afraid of?

So you would be ok with your neighbour taking photos of you and your kids (who were in swim suits) know the privacy of your own garden? Not only did they take them they emailed them to a third party.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,577 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If you have issues with the photos go to the Gardai and let them deal with it.
    Regarding the dog; It looks healthy doesn't appear to be making noise after 11pm. Whilst you admitted to making noise with your family.

If you have issues with the photos go to the Gardai and let them deal with it.
    Regarding the dog; It looks healthy doesn't appear to be making noise after 11pm. Whilst you admitted to making noise with your family.

No we didn't making any barking noises. It was 1 night not 90 nights in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Hi OP,

Record the noise of the dog barking from inside your house and the time it occurs.

Then post the video's here and people can tell you if its unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,577 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I never said you made barking noises.
    You did admit tough that you made noise after 11pm. Even if it was for only one night.
    Is the dog barking after 11pm? If so you have a case if not I don't think you really can do much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I really can't stand when ignorant people buy dogs for whatever reason and leave them out in a postage stamp sized yard or out the back garden without any real interaction, they never get walked and food/water is provided as an afterthought just before people go to bed. In such cases the dogs are clearly unwanted and usually not even neutered/sterilised so the law should be changed so these unwanted animals can be confiscated and put down.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I really can't stand when ignorant people buy dogs for whatever reason and leave them out in a postage stamp sized yard or out the back garden without any real interaction, they never get walked and food/water is provided as an afterthought just before people go to bed. In such cases the dogs are clearly unwanted and usually not even neutered/sterilised so the law should be changed so these unwanted animals can be confiscated and put down.

Op says they walk the dog, they also let it out in the yard to play which op doesn't like cause they wan't to go to bed super early and it was making noise, even though the neighbours brought it in for the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Op says they walk the dog, they also let it out in the yard to play which op doesn't like cause they wan't to go to bed super early and it was making noise, even though the neighbours brought it in for the night.
    He's a really big dog (pup still) and they never bring him for a walk. He's very energetic and it's so cruel keeping him there.
    He's outside barking again and I've explained to them we have kids trying to sleep from 8-9. On top of that they now sit in their driveway beeping the horn every time they drive in.
    Says a lot about the type of people they are! Not only is their dog barking a public nuiscance but they are a menace!
    Night hours are 11.00 pm until 7.00 am. Is the dog in and quite for them hours? You cannot complain about the dog being out at 8/9 o'clock it still early and the dog should be allowed to play outside.

If it's making noise after 11 get a time stamp recording and report it.
    Yes they can and should complain about a dog incessantly barking at ANY TIME day or night!

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/sec0025.html
    Nuisance by barking dogs.

25.—(1) Where, on a complaint being made to the District Court by any person, it appears that a nuisance has been created as a result of excessive barking by a dog, the court may—

(a) order the occupier of the premises in which the dog is kept to abate the nuisance by exercising due control over the dog;

(b) make an order limiting for such period as may be specified in the order the number of dogs to be kept by the respondent on his premises;

(c) direct that the dog be delivered to a dog warden to be dealt with by him in accordance with the provisions of this Act as if the dog were an unwanted dog.

(2) Before any person makes a complaint to the District Court in relation to a nuisance caused by the excessive barking of a dog, he shall serve notice in the prescribed form, within such time as may be specified in the notice, of his intention to make such a complaint on the occupier of the premises in which the dog is kept.
    Doesn't matter as long as the dog is quite by 11 and you don't know why he is barking he could be happy, it sounds like op wants them to stop life by 8pm which is madness. My neighbour once tried to tell me not to be outside after 8pm when she had a kid, told her to jog on I will enjoy my garden as I see fit just cause she decided to spawn doesn't mean I will change my lifestyle
    See above about how the courts can order the dog be put down over noise or excessive barking! there is no time limits for nuisance noise, it just has to be a nuisance.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Says a lot about the type of people they are! Not only is their dog barking a public nuiscance but they are a menace!

Yes they can and should complain about a dog incessantly barking at ANY TIME day or night!

See above about how the courts can order the dog be put down over noise or excessive barking! there is no time limits for nuisance noise, it just has to be a nuisance.

She said she met him walking the dog too and her child goes and makes a nuisance too. Can they call ss?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement