Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy dog next door - rented house

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I really can't stand when ignorant people buy dogs for whatever reason and leave them out in a postage stamp sized yard or out the back garden without any real interaction, they never get walked and food/water is provided as an afterthought just before people go to bed. In such cases the dogs are clearly unwanted and usually not even neutered/sterilised so the law should be changed so these unwanted animals can be confiscated and put down.

You care so much about them you want them to be killed rather than re-homed? Your post was good until that last ridiculous statement.

Op are your children outside making noise? I ask because my neighbour complained about my dogs barking (they bark excitedly for roughly 30secs each time they go outside) but their children run round the garden screaming all day everyday!
    Hopefully you don't do this but parents seem to think no one minds the noise from their children....while expecting everyone else to be quiet when those noisy little darlings finally decide to sleep. (Yes I did stop the dogs barking-and yes the kids are still screaming at 8-9am!)

How have you approached the neighbours? Was it politely or all guns blazing? Maybe it's worth one more polite try.

In relation to the photos it sounds like she is trying to intimidate you. If there was a problem it's strange they didn't mention it until now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Dogowner55 wrote: »
    She said she met him walking the dog too and her child goes and makes a nuisance too. Can they call ss?

Oh my Gawd!

There is a massive difference between a child playing in a garden and making a racket or even adults having a late night dinner party once a month and a big dog barking incessantly because its owner can't be arsed looking after it properly.
    many people would have flung some baited meat over the fence by now, thankfully the op is a better person and does not intend breaking the law and abusing a poor animal like their ignorant neighbours are happy to do!

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html
    Barking dogs

Excessive dog barking that causes a nuisance is an offence. You may be able to solve such problems by talking to the dog owner.

If you don’t get a satisfactory response, you may complain to the District Court and seek a hearing. When you have got a court date, you must inform the dog owner of your complaint by using the form prescribed for this purpose under Section 25 of the Control of Dogs Act 1986. These forms are available from the District Courts and from local authorities.

The court may make an order requiring the occupier of the premises in which the dog is kept to abate the nuisance by exercising due control over a dog. The court may limit the number of dogs that can be kept on a premises or may direct that a dog be delivered to a dog warden to be dealt with as unwanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,577 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Going by what the OP has said tough the dog isn't barking excessive. The dog also appears to be well looked after and gets walked.
    The issue seems to be that the op doesn't want noise when her kids are put to bed at 8 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

Its situations like this that make me glad that I no longer have neighbors nearby. I've been on both sides of this situation (had a dog that barked disturbing neighbors and had a neighbors dog barking disturbing me), and in both cases it almost turned quite ugly.
    In my case, I had a collie X rescue dog who came to us with severe separation anxiety. Every time he couldn't see a person he would bark and whine so you literally couldnt leave him alone in a room for a moment. Thought we could get him to settle down, and tried everything possible including behavioralist, but eventually had to rehome even though we did everything possible. Neighbours got quite nasty with us even though no night barking and we calmly were explaining our situation that we were doing our best. In the end we knew it couldn't go on as not fair to anyone- we were stressed trying to have someone home at all times.

I can understand your frustration- you shouldnt have to deal with someone else's dogs noise, but the dog is part of their family and they at least deserve a chance to make it right. Calm communication is the key to this getting sorted. Even if you do end up taking them to court it will look well on your part. The last thing that you need is a mudslinging match. The thing with the photos just baffles me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Dogowner55 wrote: »
    Op says they walk the dog, they also let it out in the yard to play which op doesn't like cause they wan't to go to bed super early and it was making noise, even though the neighbours brought it in for the night.

I've seen them walk it twice in 3 months, both times this week.

• Advertisement

I called to them three times (in my pjs as we couldn't get asleep) and asked them politely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Dogowner55

CaraMay wrote: »
    I called to them three times (in my pjs as we couldn't get asleep) and asked them politely.

At what time of day

What time was this at?

We are looking at houses tbh as we just want out now. We had 3 flat tires in the morning in the last 10 days. Not saying it's related but it's time to move on.

What time was this at?

Not sure probably 11 ish. Btw this isn't after hours, I'm looking for advice not abuse.

• Advertisement

Not sure probably 11 ish. Btw this isn't after hours, I'm looking for advice not abuse.

I didn't attend to come across as abusive.
    Just being honest. If it's after 11 you have a case. You gave the impression earlier that it was around 8 or 9 pm Which would be a different situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

CaraMay wrote:
    We are looking at houses tbh as we just want out now. We had 3 flat tires in the morning in the last 10 days. Not saying it's related but it's time to move on.

Absolutely related. Id be talking to the police about this one. Set up a camera and catch them in the act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Going by what the OP has said tough the dog isn't barking excessive. The dog also appears to be well looked after and gets walked.
    The issue seems to be that the op doesn't want noise when her kids are put to bed at 8 pm.
    Going by what the op has said it is excessive. Nor is it tough, did you recognise your dog or something?
    I didn't attend to come across as abusive.
    Just being honest. If it's after 11 you have a case. You gave the impression earlier that it was around 8 or 9 pm Which would be a different situation.
    Just because it is or isn't after 11doesntmake or break the ops case and anyone that starts beeping in retaliation are scum.

Opcheck to see if the property is on the prtb register, maybe the landlord is reacting strongly to dissuade you from proceeding, ar you rented also?
    Take a case with the prtb if necessary, keep a log, make recordings if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I would report this to the Gardai and make them aware that you have complained about the barking dog nuisance. They won't be able to do much but will have a record of it. I would also make their landlady aware of this as she has probably been told by them that you are some crackpot. Her tune might just change if she sees them for what they are!

cerastes wrote: »
    Going by what the op has said it is excessive. Nor is it tough, did you recognise your dog or something?

Just because it is or isn't after 11doesntmake or break the ops case and anyone that starts beeping in retaliation are scum.

The op first said that the dog was barking at around 8 to 9. She then said she asked them to keep quite at around 11. Was it before 11 or after 11 because it does make a difference.
    When I lived away from home. I experienced noisey neighbours and there isn't much that can be done before 11 of clock. Unless it was a really serious situation and this doesn't seem like one to me.
    Regarding the tyres, there's no evidence. I've a friend who got 6 flat tyres in two day. They traced it back to hedge cutting.
    P.S I don't recognise the dog. I just know people who being in similar cases as the op and they stood no chance with the gardai/contacting landlords etc.

The dog and beeping are sorted now. I just hate to think they took pictures of us or kids. The thread can be closed now please

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement