Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renting field out to farmer for horses

• 01-07-2015 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi there
    Just moved to country and we have 1.5 acres. Farmer asked would we be interested in letting his horses on our land .
    Would love to see horses on field plus they would keep grass down if imagine.
    So, do I charge ? How much? Any precautions need to know about before I agree to it , thanks !
    N.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moved to Farming & Forestry, where you might get better advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

ng7 wrote: »
    Hi there
    Just moved to country and we have 1.5 acres. Farmer asked would we be interested in letting his horses on our land .
    So, do I charge ? How much? Any precautions need to know about before I agree to it , thanks !
    N.

Don't!
    That's my only piece of advice.
    They'll make pure shît of fences!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Another don't do it!

Unless you get it in writing that the land will sprayed by hand to get rid of any docks, nettles and thistles and be topped at least twice a year and that fences will be kept in good order.

There are far far too many people with horses including farmers who just want to dump them in a field and do nothing to maintain the land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

If you do rent it I suggest maybe only from May til October

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭mickwat155

we had horses on our land and they bent over posts scratching themselves.. and when the rain came they fairly ploughed up the field but depends on what kinda ground there on i suppose.. you'll probably want to limit the amount of horses aswell to prolong the amount of grass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Don't do it. Whatever it is about lads with horses .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

He cant be up to much farming if he needs your 1.5 acres to run his horses.. I'd imagine his thinking was to get this ground for free as he's doing you a favor keeping the grass down.. They'd be of no use and only destroy the place..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Dont do it.
    Obviously this farmer does not want to ruin his own land with horses. Don't get me wrong I love horses but not on my land.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭smokey-fitz

By any chance was the farmer driving a Toyota van, well dressed, hair combed back and wearing a short sleeved button shirt, maybe seemed a bit pushy? I wouldnt deal with those farmers :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

Bald? Always wears a hat ? Drives a black Peugeot ? Talks the talk. Hardly the same people were talking about but If so he isn't a farmer. He a chancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I'm not a farmer NQ7, but live in rural Mayo. I walk a lot, most of it through the local fields. There is a lovely field 1/2 mile away bordered by a mountain stream on one side and mature ash, sycamore and blackthorn on the other 3. About 9 acres I think.

About 10 months ago the sheep farmer renting it was moved off and another fella rented the field and put 3 horses on it.

From a flat grassy meadow, well fenced and maintained. it is now a lumpy, patchy area. fences broken, all the mature trees stripped of their bark up to about 10 feet. The walled edges of the stream are all broken and tumbled into the water. During winter, once in a while, a round bale was dropped off over the fence with a slit up one side. The plastic is now caught in all the wire fences around the area. It is a mess.

Like you I have a small paddock. I let a local dairy farmer put a few calves on there and in exchange he keeps the boundaries in good condition. No rent charged and we both gain from the agreement.

Horses I like, but not in my field. Not worth the hassle.

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Sheep/horses will ruin fencing. At least the sheep will dung throughout the whole pasture and return nutrients to the soil. Horses will dung usually in one area and stripping the rest of pasture of nutrients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Hi there
    N.

where are you based. maybe there is a farmer here who could work with you

few calves light cattle or a few round bales.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ng7

Thanks very much for taking time to reply, useful info and food for thought

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ng7

Based near national stud in Kildare so was thinking they look after their horses round here ?! From replies am thinking maybe few cows

where are you based. maybe there is a farmer here who could work with you

few calves light cattle or a few round bales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

1.5 acres is fcuk all.

If it's cattle/sheep there going to be there for a week or 2 weeks at most before having to be moved again in theory unless you have some cowboy who has them.

When ever I see a horse or two in a small paddock all I see is docks in the paddock or is that just me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Based near national stud in Kildare so was thinking they look after their horses round here ?! From replies am thinking maybe few cows

perfect nice area

Only a few miles from me. Unless its the national stud, I wouldnt deal with any of the horse lads around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭mf240

1.5 acres is fcuk all.

If it's cattle/sheep there going to be there for a week or 2 weeks at most before having to be moved again in theory unless you have some cowboy who has them.

When ever I see a horse or two in a small paddock all I see is docks in the paddock or is that just me?

Docks yellow weeds loose wire. A drum of water several buckets empty meal bags and plastic strewn every where. A the owner who will play the discrimination card if ya try get him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Only a few miles from me. Unless its the national stud, I wouldnt deal with any of the horse lads around here.

Not far from me either. You are around newbridge/kildare. Lots of horsey lads here. I. Graze lots of "gardens" with our horses locally. I put an electric fence up anywhere i graze and spray docks etc after. Most people usually happy to let me graze to keep grass down. I would drop a bottle and box of sweets at xmas. Only person who charges is the priest lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

Get sheep. Horsey folk in general have the place rotten in ragwort and weeds .

Not far from me either. You are around newbridge/kildare. Lots of horsey lads here. I. Graze lots of "gardens" with our horses locally. I put an electric fence up anywhere i graze and spray docks etc after. Most people usually happy to let me graze to keep grass down. I would drop a bottle and box of sweets at xmas. Only person who charges is the priest lol

Kildare/monasterevin. I have a couple of ponies here myself, just pets really. One had been broken for the niece so at least she is been used. They do leave a mess, im rotating them a bit more so the dont do as much damage. Thats fair enough what you do, at least people wont mind having you again. You might be able to help out the op so :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

I keep my horses with sheep. the perfect match. no weeds and the sheep graze the long grass around the horse dung. electric fencing is a must with horses. but with only 1.5 acres, unless they are being supplemented with hay all year round, that's only enough ground for one horse to graze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

OP you'd definitely best stay away from horses. I have only one now but spend more time trying to keep her field in good order than the rest of the farm in total. She had to be (electric) fenced away from the gates as she leans full weight on them, she has trees broken, if she can reach fence posts without coming into contact with barbed wire she breaks them or has them pulled out of the ground by scratching against them, and then there is the 'poop' areas and the paths she wears by walking in the same spots all the time. I'm keeping her because she is almost 30 and part of the family now. I have a spot picked out that I hope I can bury her in when the time comes. But you stay far, far away from things equine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 irish horse

Op you must be from the town or another country or had much dealing with Irish farmers or god forbid every had to work for them.i m not saying the would have tears in their eyes if the had to give you a fiver but its been pretty close a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭tomieen jones

KatyMac wrote: »
    OP you'd definitely best stay away from horses. I have only one now but spend more time trying to keep her field in good order than the rest of the farm in total. She had to be (electric) fenced away from the gates as she leans full weight on them, she has trees broken, if she can reach fence posts without coming into contact with barbed wire she breaks them or has them pulled out of the ground by scratching against them, and then there is the 'poop' areas and the paths she wears by walking in the same spots all the time. I'm keeping her because she is almost 30 and part of the family now. I have a spot picked out that I hope I can bury her in when the time comes. But you stay far, far away from things equine!!
    Ææ are you a allowed Bury animals like that on farm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Ææ are you a allowed Bury animals like that on farm?

I've heard of exceptions to the rule but may want to ask GS on that.

I intend to do some ringing when the time comes. I know of a couple of people who have got permission over the years so I'm hoping as she is a pet that I'll be allowed to bury her in a field far away from watercourses and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

KatyMac wrote: »
    I intend to do some ringing when the time comes. I know of a couple of people who have got permission over the years so I'm hoping as she is a pet that I'll be allowed to bury her in a field far away from watercourses and the like.

ours always went to the knackery but they were always just ones we had bought to sell on that maybe broke a leg or something. Two are our pets/hunters. Im not sure if they would be sent like that. Know plenty of lads who just dig a hole and thats the end of it.

• Advertisement

ours always went to the knackery but they were always just ones we had bought to sell on that maybe broke a leg or something. Two are our pets/hunters. Im not sure if they would be sent like that. Know plenty of lads who just dig a hole and thats the end of it.

That is an option as I wouldn't like to see her going on the lorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Hmmm, after a little digging-
    ''It is an offence to bury dead animals on-farm, except in accordance with a licence issued by the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food.''

&

The burial of animals that die on farm regardless of age is precluded unless the farmer has a burial licence issued by the local District Veterinary Office. Such licences can only be issued in respect of fallen animals in remote areas i.e. listed islands, boglands and mountains

Hope that's of some use!

Hi there
    N.

I would think it's to small for horses. Whatever you decide to do, get an agreement drawn up stating clearly who is responsible for what. eg. Farmer responsible for fences, restoring field to its original state before returning it to you, rent and when it's payable, insurance, etc.
    Personally, I'd go for sheep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

''It is an offence to bury dead animals on-farm, except in accordance with a licence issued by the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food.''

&

The burial of animals that die on farm regardless of age is precluded unless the farmer has a burial licence issued by the local District Veterinary Office. Such licences can only be issued in respect of fallen animals in remote areas i.e. listed islands, boglands and mountains

Reading that piece of legislation I suspect it relates to farm animals, not pets.

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

TopTec wrote: »

&

Reading that piece of legislation I suspect it relates to farm animals, not pets.

TT
    Horses, donkeys etc are not classified as pets, they are farm animals. The premises that they are kept on must be registered with the Dept of Agri, even on a temporary basis - equine herd number. Individual animals must also registered (& now microchipped) with an approved Stud Book. You can no longer register a foal without an equine (herd) number.
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalwelfare/registrationofpremisesanimals/registrationofhorsepremises/

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fireside Solicitor

Stay miles away from horses, will destroy it.

1 and a half acres is feck all, you'd be as well doing something with it that like planting vegetables or apple trees or something. It would be grazed off in no time if you let someone in. If you've moved to the country then give it a try working the land a bit and see how you go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Stay miles away from horses, will destroy it.

1 and a half acres is feck all, you'd be as well doing something with it that like planting vegetables or apple trees or something. It would be grazed off in no time if you let someone in. If you've moved to the country then give it a try working the land a bit and see how you go.

Good idea, fill it with good quality fruit trees. Not those crap trees outta lid/supermarkets.

And hens maybe.

Advertisement