Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barnageeragh Cove, Skerries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭CyberSecurity

pics 4

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Hamilton Hiller

Thanks for posting pics ... 3 houses remain to be sold . So after initial booking with 5k the 10% deposit must not have materialised as all the units were announced as sold and having a cancellation list in place for people to be next in line in such an event

• Registered Users Posts: 23 SydneySyder

Thanks for posting @CyberSecurity. Almost there! Hopefully we'll have lovely weather this time next year so we can make use of the close proximity to the beach/cove!

Thanks for posting @CyberSecurity. Almost there! Hopefully we'll have lovely weather this time next year so we can make use of the close proximity to the beach/cove!

Paddle boards at the ready....I wonder how long it will take to paddle to Joe May's for pints ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

We've often kayaked over for a pint!

• Advertisement

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    We've often kayaked over for a pint!

nice!!!!

Paddle boards at the ready....I wonder how long it will take to paddle to Joe May's for pints ;)

I'll race yis!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 BCHH

Bathroom tiling starting on front row Hamilton Hill. Looking forward to seeing the driveways when they are done ... has anyone organised someone for snag list yet, received quote 450 plus vat seems quite expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BHG07

Hi, I'm also moving into the front row and will be getting snagging done. I'll let you know when I get a few quotes myself. On the subject, I was in the house on Sat. It looks like the painting is finished but there is some mess left. Paint on the wardrobes, rads, light switches...you name it! Maybe they clean it up after the fact but looks really shoddy right now. If you have any issues you might share them too so we can all keep an eye out in our own houses? Cheers.

BHG07 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm also moving into the front row and will be getting snagging done. I'll let you know when I get a few quotes myself. On the subject, I was in the house on Sat. It looks like the painting is finished but there is some mess left. Paint on the wardrobes, rads, light switches...you name it! Maybe they clean it up after the fact but looks really shoddy right now. If you have any issues you might share them too so we can all keep an eye out in our own houses? Cheers.

Yes good idea will do thanks

• Advertisement

BCHH wrote: »
    Yes good idea will do thanks

Hopefully they will fix those few things up before they finish up .. will check this sat if same story in ours and let you know

Also make sure that there is air vents in all the rooms in the house . Ive heard of two cases in BC that they were not installed and there was an issue but to be fair they were resolved by the builders

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Raoul

Went to see the houses yesterday. Really liked them. One thing that did concern me was that one house is on a hill overlooking a lower house. Now, the gardens aren't visible from that overlooking house but they would be able to peer directly into the lower house. Is this a problem for anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Spanto88

BCHH wrote: »
    Bathroom tiling starting on front row Hamilton Hill. Looking forward to seeing the driveways when they are done ... has anyone organised someone for snag list yet, received quote 450 plus vat seems quite expensive

See below links for snagging. It looks to be about €180 from their websites and then €90 for a revisit to ensure all snags have been rectified.

I haven't called them yet but it may be a case that the website says one price but when you ring there are several add-ons. Hoping to get snag list for front row by the end of the month. Painting started in ours this week so I will head out Saturday for a look and see if there is same issues.

http://www.snaglistdublin.ie/prices

http://www.homesnag.ie/index.php?page=prices

http://www.snaglistdublin.ie/prices

Warm weather seems to have a awful effect on the water treatment plant . And for some reason Sunday's more so than other days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Im a local from the area, and I must say, im staggered people are paying the money for these houses. To me, they look cheap and uninviting (but one mans castle...), and yet they are all snapped up. I am sure that everyone is happy with it, but I cant believe the price of these for what was gotten.

Not exactly like the estate is well served by anything; train is a huge walk, 33 bus service is appalling, and either Balbriggan or Skerries is a hike and a half to go to a shop or pub.

Can anyone really explain the appeal of this estate that maybe ive missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MaudieClaudie

Hi all,

A few questions to those who have bought in the front row and may be at the flooring stage or beyond by now.

1.Did you supply your own labour or did you ask Winsac to fit the floors?
    2.Do they put skirting boards in before they hand it over?
    3. Any recommendations for tiles/carpets? Is it worth looking up north with the fx rate or am I only drawing hassle on myself ? :)

We are back row 3 bed - excited although not sure what our completion date is yet, hopefully before Xmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Raoul

xpletiv wrote: »
    Im a local from the area, and I must say, im staggered people are paying the money for these houses. To me, they look cheap and uninviting (but one mans castle...), and yet they are all snapped up. I am sure that everyone is happy with it, but I cant believe the price of these for what was gotten.

Not exactly like the estate is well served by anything; train is a huge walk, 33 bus service is appalling, and either Balbriggan or Skerries is a hike and a half to go to a shop or pub.

Where would you suggest buying then?

Well one thing ... Skerries has feck all of a supply of houses . Any 3 or 4 bed house sells at 350k for a 400k and will need to be refurbished with new windows , doors , insulated properly , and new appliances . You walk into these new builds and you have all of the above . For prob less of a price of a 20-30 year old house that needs work . Yes it's not an ideal location but I remember many skerries folk who couldn't afford to buy in Skerries 10 years ago and bought for 100k less than skerries prices in Balbriggan, Laytown , Bettystown , Mornington and the likes . They spent more money on driving up and down to Skerries to see family and friends , nights out , babysitters and work . This time around for young buyers even if it's a distance to the town centre they don't care as it's in "Skerries" . Everyone drives everywhere these days and lots of people are cycling . So money wise it's making sense and location wise it's not ideal but it's home for many young people trying to get on ever harder to get on property ladder

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bailey1234

Hi there, 
    Was up on site last Thursday evening and houses seem to be coming along well. Has anyone heard times for completion or a date the builder hopes to have residents in for completing snag lists? What prices have you all been quoted for snag lists. I've had figures ranging from €150 to being quoted €300 today by someone else. Would anyone on here be able to recommend anyone to do a snag-list? 
    In response to the comment by 'Xpletiv' on the appeal of the estate. I fully agree with  @ 'hamilton hiller' there. A 3 bed semi in kellys bay with asking price of €325,000 2 months ago got into a bidding war and has closed at approximately €365,000. New houses in Hamilton hill at €30,000 less including, Solar panels so cheaper to run, No maintenance fees, Appliances included in price, Qualifies for Help to buy scheme, and in my opinion the layout in comparison to The Links is better really makes the decision to move there and pay the money a no brainer!! With decreased supply comes inflation of prices, this is the reality of the property market at the moment and its not going to change. There is nowhere else closer to the town thats brand new for less money than Hamilton hill or the links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭blue.jester

The prices for these houses is a good deal less than other houses in Dublin, never mind just Skerries, and as other posters have said those houses would still need 20-30k pumped into them as they are all 20+ years old. I think the location is actually perfect, you're far enough away from the village centre so that there is no "noise" factor but close enough that it really isn't that much of a deal to get into it. The train station is a 20 min walk (at least from my house). If you can't walk 20 mins then you've got bigger things to worry about with your health. It's 7 mins on a bike (with a toddler in a carraige out the back). The village is a handy bike ride in as well. Even if you didn't bike it's 5 euro in a taxi. I was out in Joe May's on Saturday night with my bro-in-law and I'm not complaining about a 5 euro taxi ride back.

Plus, don't forget: not everyone needs to live in the middle of a town/village. Some people like houses a bit removed from the centres just as others would rather be right in the middle of things.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

1) This forum is open to all.

2) Wouldn't it be a bland place if we all liked exactly the same type of house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭xpletiv

<mod snip>

@other threeposters, great responses; I genuinely did not understand how these houses were justified with the prices that were being advertised. I think the HTB has pushed the prices of this estate up but in general, Skerries is rather expensive! Do all the houses have a view of the sea in some way? I would see that as a big justification for the price... Also, 20 minute walk to train station is actually a lot better than Id thought it would be. Is there an access road somewhere in the back?

Mod Note

If you have an issue with a post use the report post function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Spanto88

@Spanto... I dont believe I did insult it so get off your high horse... This forum is for general discussion about property, regardless of location, and being pretty local to this new build I have my own curiosity about it. If you want to have somewhere when your feelings won't get hurt, then make a private Facebook group or something.

@other threeposters, great responses; I genuinely did not understand how these houses were justified with the prices that were being advertised. I think the HTB has pushed the prices of this estate up but in general, Skerries is rather expensive! Do all the houses have a view of the sea in some way? I would see that as a big justification for the price... Also, 20 minute walk to train station is actually a lot better than Id thought it would be. Is there an access road somewhere in the back?

"Houses look cheap and uninviting", reads like an insult to me. "not exactly like the estate is served well by anything" also reads like an insult. For someone local to area, I would have thought you would be more aware of the amenities local to the area. No issues with you questioning the value of the homes and thinking they are over priced, everyone is entitled to an opinion. My feelings remain in tact but thank you for your concern.

latest

latest

Looking good. I couldn't get in the last two weekends, you must have a secret burrow in!:D

foundations

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭blue.jester

<snip> Also, 20 minute walk to train station is actually a lot better than Id thought it would be. Is there an access road somewhere in the back? </snip>

Yeah there is a back road (has a cycle lane and all) that runs in by the pitch so it's great. TBH the bus isn't even that bad. I got a Nitelink and it stopped at the recycle bank about halfway up the road (really should learn the street names) and sure that cuts down the walk as well.

Plus I can see the sea from the front bedrooms, so that's a win in my books :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cezary15

We bought a house just exactly because of what you said.

Because its further away, because its new and is in a very nice location.

15 minute walk to a train station is really nothing. Unless youre disabled but then I assume youd drive anyway.

Houses definitely do not look cheap. They are very well finished with nice modern touches. Not all people need golden taps and door handles.

Local Spar is a 10 minut walk and for example Lidl in Balbriggan is less than 10 minutes drive away. Not all people go to pub every week to complain on a distance to it.

Also, theres a nice sea view from first floor bedrooms in the second row and a 5 minut walk to the sea, which I think is priceless and far more important than a pub. Especially for young families with kids living around this area.

Just my opinion.

• Advertisement

for anyone interested :)

Advertisement