Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barnageeragh Cove, Skerries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭CyberSecurity

Hi All, has anyone signed contracts yet for Phase 1 of HH?
    Just wondering has anyone asked for clarification on any elements of the build?[

I enquired the other day and was told that the contracts have not gone out yet as there is an outstanding item the developer's solicitor is waiting on before he can issue them. I was then told that they did not expect any further delays though!

Great , Thanks for the update, I got the official acceptance to sell to me letter from the builders 3 weeks ago, must chase it up with my solicitor to see if they got the actual contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 carr_e

Hi all. Thanks for the continued contributions to this thread, it is very helpful as a prospective buyer in the HH develeopment. I have a few questions below in which I am hoping someone can help me with? I am finding it difficult to get consistent answers from the brokers regarding the prospective 4 beds at HH.

Would someone mind sharing a ballpark figure on what your electric bills are costing in a 3 or 4 bedroom property in Barnageeragh? I understand it is variable, however it would be useful to get a range.

Is the site opposite the educate together school and to the left of the Skerries point shopping centre a water treatment plant?

How are people finding the solar panels? Any issues, comments or advise the foreman or brokers gave when purchasing the property?

Is anyone aware of a car pool scheme amongst neighbours going in to the city centre each day?

Are people still waiting on broadband instillation still? I had read that some people were.

Thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

carr_e wrote: »
    Is the site opposite the educate together school and to the left of the Skerries point shopping centre a water treatment plant?
    Yep. You'd get a smell from it the odd time. The coastal breeze is helpful
    How are people finding the solar panels?
    I was disappointed with them but my own fault, I didn't do my research or ask enough questions about them. There's no battery storage and they don't heat the water. If it's sunny, stick on your washing machine is the basic logic behind them.
    Any issues, comments or advise the foreman or brokers gave when purchasing the property?
    Get on to the foreman if you want anything done or answered, estate agents are pretty clueless.
    Is anyone aware of a car pool scheme amongst neighbours going in to the city centre each day?
    Not that I'm aware of. There's an express bus and a train, why bother driving!
    Are people still waiting on broadband instillation still? I had read that some people were.
    Yes. It seems to be taking anywhere for 3 - 6 months for each phase to get connected. It is mainly down to Open Eir (the infrastructure side of Eir) not being contactable and they are needed to lay the cables on the road before you can connect your house to it. It is a massive pain in the ar$e

• Registered Users Posts: 22 carr_e

Thanks for the quick reply.

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Yep. You'd get a smell from it the odd time. The coastal breeze is helpful

I was disappointed with them but my own fault, I didn't do my research or ask enough questions about them. There's no battery storage and they don't heat the water. If it's sunny, stick on your washing machine is the basic logic behind them.

Get on to the foreman if you want anything done or answered, estate agents are pretty clueless.

Not that I'm aware of. There's an express bus and a train, why bother driving!

Yes. It seems to be taking anywhere for 3 - 6 months for each phase to get connected. It is mainly down to Open Eir (the infrastructure side of Eir) not being contactable and they are needed to lay the cables on the road before you can connect your house to it. It is a massive pain in the ar$e

I'm new to the solar technology in these houses.... can you expand on the technology and your experience of it?
    I would have thought that the solar panels would heat the hot tank, giving hot water without the need for immersion / or gas boiler on... is this not the case?

How does the system know to use the solar generated power if you turn on your washing machine? excuse my ignorance

Is it possible I wonder to retrofit a storage solution for storing power from the panels?

• Advertisement

I'm new to the solar technology in these houses.... can you expand on the technology and your experience of it?
    I would have thought that the solar panels would heat the hot tank, giving hot water without the need for immersion / or gas boiler on... is this not the case?

How does the system know to use the solar generated power if you turn on your washing machine? excuse my ignorance

Is it possible I wonder to retrofit a storage solution for storing power from the panels?

I'm new to it too! I don't fully understand what is happening to be honest. The same with the pumped showers. I thought we'd get a walk through or instructions or something - nothing!

I think it just supplements the power being taken from the grid. I'm nearly sure it doesn't supply back to the grid either (which I thought it might).

In fairness, I haven't looked into it at all and I haven't asked Bill or anyone to go through it with me so mostly my fault for not having the understanding I should have.

I have noticed the electricity bills for my 4 bed house are lower than the bills I had for the one bed apartment I lived in previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

Surplus electricity is fed to the grid, for free!! Developers only install the panels to achieve A3/comply with Part L of the building regulations - they don't really give a damn about our pocket..

So, batteries are (still) pretty expensive to make sense with this kind of a small installations, therefore the pest practice seems to be adjusting our usage around peak sun-hours and use the surplus for hot water. Basically trying to minimise the surplus.

I had similar kind of questions about the photoviltaics of newbuilds, and there are quite a few useful answers in the thread I opened last week http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102968307

yannakis wrote: »
    therefore the pest practice seems to be adjusting our usage around peak sun-hours and use the surplus for hot water. Basically trying to minimise the surplus.

I don't understand this. How would you aim to heat the water using the panels?

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    I don't understand this. How would you aim to heat the water using the panels?

Sorry, should have clarified that. With electric immersions.

Yeah was thinking that.
    It's a good idea, I might look in to seeing how easy/expensive it would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Are you guys sure the panels don't hear the water?

I get it about the batteries, and about the excess electricity going back to the grid for free. The batteries one is more difficult to solve and make the cost viable, but the excess electricity to the grid should not be.

In any event, we have solar panels in our house (not this development) and it operates via some heat transfer fluid. We basically have hot water for the very vast majority of the year. It's great. But to hear that the panels in this development do not do that, are you sure? Surely that's an unnecessary kick in the stones there.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 aurawindsurfing

myshirt wrote: »
    Are you guys sure the panels don't hear the water?

Hi everyone.

Thanks for all you helpful comments.

I'm quite sure it is just to additional circuit to bring the water to a luke warm temperature, then you top it up with electricity. I'm quite sure there is no "giving back to grid electricity" provisions in place.

Yeah I'm sure they don't heat the water. The panels seem to do the absolute minimum

Photovoltaic Panels are the most popular - however I saw newbuilds recently with Solar water heating instead. The latter is obviously less versatile.
    I'm quite sure it is just to additional circuit to bring the water to a luke warm temperature, then you top it up with electricity. I'm quite sure there is no "giving back to grid electricity" provisions in place.
    What is the provision for the surplus then?

So in current BC build do the houses have an inverter somewhere in the house to convert solar power form dc into ac?

If this is the case then am I correct in saying that you can use your household appliances as per normal ( knowing that they will draw solar energy ) prior to drawing down from the grid when the solar energy is used up..... ( or as mentioned earlier, there is no solution to store the solar energy currently????..so your household clothes washes need to be done as and when the sun is shining..." in real-time solar production" .. Having said that I think the PV units going into HH (and PV units in general do not need direct sunlight to operate... as they can capture heat particles from the air) ...

Attached is a pic of the 3 bed show house fuse box in BC. there is a contactor here for the solar, but I'm not sure what its doing ? other than displaying energy created from the PV units. Anyone know???

So in current BC build do the houses have an inverter somewhere in the house to convert solar power form dc into ac?

I went to have another look at the panels and also spoke to my fellow electrician. This is what I found out:

1. The panels being installed are producing electricity and do not circuit water as I suggested before.

2. New build houses often have new panels that have inverters build into them so each of them supplies 220V to the house.

3. Each panel will produce 250 - 300 W of electricity on full 100% capacity

4. Regulations are that when ESB disconnects electricity from the house, then the panels are disconnected as well. In other words there is a controll wire that tells panels to stop sullying electricity to the house if ESB disconnected the grid from the house (safety feature for works etc)

5. Surplus is being fed to back to the grid. ESB has stopped the scheme and they do not pay anymore for the electricity that home owners supply back to them... There is however a special device you can install to stop feeding the grid and use any surplus you will have to heat the water or run other appliances at home.

Hopefully this will help someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 BCHH

In relation to Hamilton Hill has anyone gotten clarity on the garden levels for the 3 beds ?

I've heard two different things.

That the gardens will be split level, one part of garden at floor level and then a tiered level up steps to upper level.

However since been told that the patio will be out 2 meters from end wall (not patio doors) then a sloping garden rising up 2 metres over 7 metres length and steps up/sleepers to "sloping" garden. Ie not tiered garden

BCHH wrote: »

That the gardens will be split level, one part of garden at floor level and then a tiered level up steps to upper level.

However since been told that the patio will be out 2 meters from end wall (not patio doors) then a sloping garden rising up 2 meters over 7 meters length and steps up/sleepers to "sloping" garden. i.e not tiered garden

"A terraced approach to rear garden treatments incorporating retaining walls, tree and ground cover planting to achieve a quality amenity space"

That is what is in fingal landscape planning diagram...

looks to be tiered to me based on landscape plan. i.e: bottom houses step up onto raised garden and top level houses step down onto slopping garden

However , based on my recent site visits I can't see it. the raised level at back of show house does not appear to be wide enough to cater for both top and bottom level houses. unless the " quality amenity space" is 1 meter each side of the divide....... ???? interested to see how they work this one....

Was on site weekend before last .... and currently the gardens appear smaller that BC phase show house... but looks can be deceiving :)

If anyone happens to be on site meeting Bill the foreman , maybe they could get a photo of how it looks now....

I was there on Sunday and the show house is fully rendered....looks great ( couldn't see back garden though to see if anything has progressed there.

However since been told that the patio will be out 2 meters from end wall (not patio doors) then a sloping garden rising up 2 metres over 7 metres length and steps up/sleepers to "sloping" garden. Ie not tiered garden

Can you elaborate on "patio will be out 2 meters from end wall (not patio doors) "?? The patio doors are more or less the same depth as the end kitchen wall...or am I reading that all wrong :)?

• Advertisement

I've located drawings referring to section C-C in planning file. It shows a slope / hill rather than split level :( will try post copy of it if I can

Thank you for sharing your comments / thoughts on this. Can't seem to post image

Thank you for sharing your comments / thoughts on this. Can't seem to post image

See attached...might be of use to some people...

Have a look how plans changed for the last 12 years....

http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/Northgate.WebSearch/Download.aspx?ID=19550

I've located drawings referring to section C-C in planning file. It shows a slope / hill rather than split level :( will try post copy of it if I can

Think this is the one you are referring to

Have a look how plans changed for the last 12 years...

Big difference alright!

Render looks nice on the walls !

see previous pic of rendered show house

looks like there may be 2 colour options to choose from for the render detail around the windows

Yes that's the file I came across re C-C section. Thanks for putting up photos. Render looks great!

• Advertisement

Re (not patio doors), I believe the end wall comes out a little further than patio doors but presume not by a significant amount

Advertisement