Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC direct debit issue

Options
  • 01-07-2015 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all,
    just wondering about the UPC direct debit. I wish to cancel the automatic removal of money from my account every month. Can pernament tsb do this without any qualms?
    Also, what will UPC do about not getting paid anymore? I'm leaving the property soon and the cancellation fee is pretty high. Will they just send angry letters or what? Any insight would be appreciated, thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Can pernament tsb do this without any qualms?
    Yes. In fact, under SEPA legislation, they're required to.
    Also, what will UPC do about not getting paid anymore? I'm leaving the property soon and the cancellation fee is pretty high. Will they just send angry letters or what? Any insight would be appreciated, thank you
    Yeah... you signed up to a contract. Stopping payment doesn't nullify that contract. It's likely that UPC will send multiple requests for payment, and probably pass it on to a debt collection agency. Eventually, if you persist in not paying your debts, they can get a judgement against you, which will affect your credit rating, and can be enforced by the seizure of your posessions by the sheriff/registrar

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Flying Spaghetti Monster

28064212 wrote: »

Yeah... you signed up to a contract. Stopping payment doesn't nullify that contract. It's likely that UPC will send multiple requests for payment, and probably pass it on to a debt collection agency. Eventually, if you persist in not paying your debts, they can get a judgement against you, which will affect your credit rating, and can be enforced by the seizure of your posessions by the sheriff/registrar

How will they know where I live though? UPC only has my current address.

How will they know where I live though? UPC only has my current address.
    Name, address, bank account details, DOB, email and mobile number. All asked for when signing up to UPC. Even if all they have is name and previous address, any debt collection agency worth their salt will likely be able to find you in a matter of hours. If they can't, and the matter goes to the courts, they have even more power to retrieve your details

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

Name, address, bank account details, DOB, email and mobile number. All asked for when signing up to UPC. Even if all they have is name and previous address, any debt collection agency worth their salt will likely be able to find you in a matter of hours. If they can't, and the matter goes to the courts, they have even more power to retrieve your details

While they could take court action it would not be worth their while..... Best to pay what you owe them and not have the worry hanging over your head

Joo0 wrote: »
    While they could take court action it would not be worth their while..... Best to pay what you owe them and not have the worry hanging over your head
    Depends on the amount, they probably won't do it for €5. But if it does go to court, and they secure a judgement against the OP, it's the OP who pays their legal fees, not UPC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

In theory. In practice anything under 1200 doesnt affect your credit rating, its not cost effective to get judgement and the sheriff? Try getting them to answer the phone. Sheriff is worthless for small debts.

All sound scary but debt companies are toothless. Scare mongering and lies are their most effective tools.

In theory. In practice anything under 1200 doesnt affect your credit rating, its not cost effective to get judgement and the sheriff? Try getting them to answer the phone. Sheriff is worthless for small debts.

All sound scary but debt companies are toothless. Scare mongering and lies are their most effective tools.

Still not a nice bunch of lads to be calling you up and showing up at your door! Utility company's share information about defaulters so it could effect you getting a contract with a phone or broadband provider in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You can cancel your direct debit, but it does cancel the contact. You are legally obliged to pay for the contact you signed up to.

One legal way out of the contract is to wait for UPC to change the T&Cs of the contract. You then have a period of time to accept the new T&Cs or reject, in which case you can exit the contract. Alternatively, you can talk to them and see if any negotiation is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The arrears will build up to. So if you don't cancel it could run into a large bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In theory. In practice anything under 1200 doesnt affect your credit rating.

It'll completely nuke your private agency ratings - may have no impact on a home loan but you're not going to get a mobile phone contract or a finance deal washing machine after.

L1011 wrote: »
    It'll completely nuke your private agency ratings - may have no impact on a home loan but you're not going to get a mobile phone contract or a finance deal washing machine after.

Could irishwater do the same thing for no payers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Joo0 wrote: »
    Could irishwater do the same thing for no payers?

I imagine so.

Whether they will is an entirely different question though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

L1011 wrote: »
    I imagine so.

Whether they will is an entirely different question though.

Legislation going through for Irish Water so they can withdraw payments from those not paying directly from payslips or social welfare payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

They do housecalls. I had an incident that ended up with the Guardaí having to get involved, after debt collectors called to my apartment after previous tenants.

Depends on the type of debt collectors. Think people are getting more wise now in terms of not being intimidated and there good information i nterms of their powers and authority(ie none) so most companies are hiring debt collectors or selling on the debt, to what are essentially solicitors, and not heavies.

Advertisement