Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graffiti in city

Options
  • 01-07-2015 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭

always remember graffiti being a big problem in the likes of france but not so much ireland. however notice its a big problem in cork now - its everywhere on outskirts of city.

think they should offer plp rewards for info on whos doing it or put survellance on popular spots for it.

maybe they could have designated areas for it and it could become artistic area ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Some graffiti can be pure artwork but some of the other stuff is pure mindless vandalism so I'm not sure which way to vote on this one :)

I've seen some really great work around by that car park just off Douglas Street, I'd have no problem with that sort of graffiti, perhaps containing it is more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

I loved the one just by the Roundy a few years ago "Hand Solo" :pac:. There's also a really brilliant one between North Main Street and the Coal Quay, with Roy Keane in a Communist uniform. I honestly don't mind graffiti a bit, think the should facilitate it more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Remember that thing "are you for the pigbull tripedrisheen" that was everywhere around town about five years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'm all for designated areas and encouraging artwork around the city. I think there are some fab bits around..

pwaack.jpg

Adding link to location... that's crosse's green, near Dean's Hall.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/6+Crosse's+Green,+Cork/@51.8959482,-8.4784553,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x48449019e61475a5:0x6645be831b46bd31

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yep love the good stuff, but the ones who randomly spray what I think is suppose to be a tag on everything is very annoying.. Some nice ones down by the marina and I love the face ones. There is one by the shaky bridge and another by the shop in Ballinlough..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

There is some great stuff around.Findac's street art is probably the best.

proxy.jpg?t=HBheaHR0cDovLzM2Lm1lZGlhLnR1bWJsci5jb20vY2JkYmQzMzIwZThkYWEwYjJiZGM1M2Q3YzViODczZGMvdHVtYmxyX241cm1jeE1pRmExcWx0NnVqbzFfNTAwLmpwZxTABxSKBgAWABIA&s=_41O4w1_mIbrN2CfW5NOQtDpA4hCaFdl61ajAoNDLQE

pwurple wrote: »
    I'm all for designated areas and encouraging artwork around the city. I think there are some fab bits around..

pwaack.jpg

Adding link to location... that's crosse's green, near Dean's Hall.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/6+Crosse's+Green,+Cork/@51.8959482,-8.4784553,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x48449019e61475a5:0x6645be831b46bd31

I thought that was by Fitzgerald's Park, on the way to the Shaky Bridge. Beautiful anyway. Definitely needs to be encouraged.

http://www.lazinc.com/artist/conor-Harrington

That guy hails from Bishopstown, started on the walkway between Witon and Bishopstown when I was growing up. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,308 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There's also a really brilliant one between North Main Street and the Coal Quay, with Roy Keane in a Communist uniform. I honestly don't mind graffiti a bit, think the should facilitate it more.

That's starting to look a bit tatty now. Could do with a touch-up.

Most of it is pretty crap low level stuff, sh!t tags etc. Spotted one once, the jist of it was 'F*CK THE GUARDS'...
    The word 'THE' was the only word spelled correctly.

There was few nice ones around Fitzgerald Park, only they got defaced with the scrawlings of the less artistically inclined.

There's a lot of it going on under the railway bridges, down towards Little Island it's starting to look like the Bronx circa 1985, someone is going to get a slap of a train someday and it'll be all tears then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭goochy

I agree some of it is good but it just makes city look shabby when its just all over place any ideas for places for designated area?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

There was a spot again down by the shaky bridge that was a designated spot but not sure if that is the case anymore..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I have to say, that rooster picture is impressive.

As for encouraging "graffiti", I would not go there. The issue is - there's no objective distinction between art and a dirty wall. Putting aside the arses who just do "tags", spray misspelled writings and gentlemen sausages everywhere, the person just splatting random colour fancies himself or herself as much of an artist as the ones who created these two examples...to say:

Screen-shot-2013-10-31-at-11.23.32-AM.png

To me, this is just an eyesore of galactic proportions, in no way comparable to the two well crafted works posted above. Yet, you'll find people who define that paint factory explosion "art"...

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I have to say, that rooster picture is impressive.

As for encouraging "graffiti", I would not go there. The issue is - there's no objective distinction between art and a dirty wall. Putting aside the arses who just do "tags", spray misspelled writings and gentlemen sausages everywhere, the person just splatting random colour fancies himself or herself as much of an artist as the ones who created these two examples...to say:

Is that in Cork??

It's arguable though, people have to hone their skills somehow :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

That's starting to look a bit tatty now. Could do with a touch-up.

Most of it is pretty crap low level stuff, sh!t tags etc. Spotted one once, the jist of it was 'F*CK THE GUARDS'...
    The word 'THE' was the only word spelled correctly.

There was few nice ones around Fitzgerald Park, only they got defaced with the scrawlings of the less artistically inclined.

There's a lot of it going on under the railway bridges, down towards Little Island it's starting to look like the Bronx circa 1985, someone is going to get a slap of a train someday and it'll be all tears then.

I spotted a real gem of wisdom spraypainted on I think the wall of Fordes pub at the bottom of Barrack St about six months ago."**** every guard who ever did his job".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Is that in Cork??

It's arguable though, people have to hone their skills somehow :o

Guess it's not Cork, just an example you find by googling "graffiti"; It seems that the very definition of the term is...a disastrous explosion in a paint factory, the only way I can describe what It's in the picture above.

I guess anything carefully crafted, that requires skills, doesn't quite classify :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

In most cases Graffiti looks horrible.

There should be harsher punishments to deter vandals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I love this spot.

17063200776_ba54f03dbb_c.jpg
    Scream eggs, let fly by Niamh O'Donovan, on Flickr

19159658802_67ef8d002b_c.jpg
    Night Madness-1 by Niamh O'Donovan, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

I prefer some good graffiti to advertisements on every corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Good graffiti really adds to the urban landscape imo. Unfortunately the majority of it in Cork is of the "I waz ere" or "Man U Roolz" variety. Anyone caught doing that should get a kick up the arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

The faces at the back of the Opera House look fairly good too.

CEDBvtJW8AA6lK2.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Good graffiti really adds to the urban landscape imo. Unfortunately the majority of it in Cork is of the "I waz ere" or "Man U Roolz" variety. Anyone caught doing that should get a kick up the arse!

Don't forget "Jacinta is a tramp".

• Advertisement

Don't forget "Jacinta is a tramp".

I mean, that's basically current affairs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

There are a couple of guys going around now painting over the crap graffiti.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Urbex

The Cork graffiti scene consists of a select few pros who have been painting for years even though a lot have stopped or been caught who take up all the legal walls in town, (white street) for example. If you're not in their crew it's forbidden to paint there so all the other artists are left with crap walls that are falling apart or the streets. What do people expect when it shows up in town? And to the people complaining about tags they're the essence of graffiti, how it all began, the magnificent pieces and murals evolved from tags and that's just how it is, they won't go away. There needs to be more legal walls, I was thinking down by the marina. There's a few abandoned buildings there that could be made available to the artists. If you hate graffiti just be glad you live in Cork and not New York or Barcelona or somewhere like that 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 16,308 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Tags are just rubbish, a chimp could make better art with its ars*e. Just some semi-illiterate toerag's meaningless squiggle.

Advertisement