Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wright venue complex for sale

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How long ago was it built and having tenants?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Stheno wrote: »
    How long ago was it built and having tenants?

2009, its in the artical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I'll take two thanks.

Oh wait......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Good riddance some might say.. rumours another promoter wants to take it over but also heard there was an application to change it into a kids funzone type business. Time will tell.

87399-BD6-B057-4-A67-9-D9-F-96-BE1-A915382.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

So is the Wright venue closing for sure?
    Not my scene as an auld fella but never like to see people lose their jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

RobFowl wrote: »
    So is the Wright venue closing for sure?
    Not my scene as an auld fella but never like to see people lose their jobs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wright+venue&tbm=nws

They say they'll try and move staff to other business. The have Cafe Bar in Swords, the Findlater in Howth and a few others.

Rumours it may reopen in the future under different management but when you see the likes of lillies, club 92 and other high profile late night venues closing in the last few months you would start to wonder is there a trend away from places like that for the younger crowd? Not my scene either for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

With some retro fitting it would be a good addition as a small retail complex for Airside, for shops that are small/medium not requiring a big retail outlet provided in Airside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Is it not surprising with the size of the catchment area, and the young population around growing that this place could survive it's first 5 years 2009-2014, and only end up closing now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Hopefully the staff get looked after.

I doubt it will re-open as a nightclub, will probably end up as a retail space.

With other high profile venues closing recently goes to show the nightclub culture (bar Coppers) is dead and buried in Dublin, people just don't go to them anymore. I am struggling to think of any nightclubs left in town (the ones I am listing in my head I used to go to about 15 years in my early 20's are all gone!).

My nephew was supposed to attend his first underage disco there this year, wait till he finds out it wont be happening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Article incorrectly states there is a starbucks - that closed some time ago.

This could be a great long term investment, with the thousands of houses being built in Fingal over the next year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Ever since licensing laws were amended to extend pub opening hours, nightclubs have almost become obsolete.

In the past, most people went to nightclubs to access more drunk (rather than dancing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Is it not surprising with the size of the catchment area, and the young population around growing that this place could survive it's first 5 years 2009-2014, and only end up closing now?

I think it's a generational type thing. My brother in law went to it a lot in his early to mid 20s. Loads of his friends would have gone as well at the time. He's 30 now and probably hasn't been in a few years and for whatever reason the next generation of night club goers never took to it.

It probably didn't help that there were a couple of bad incidences there. At least one stabbing inside the place and at least one girl was attacked outside it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

But pubs around town are still closing also. Maybe not at the same rate, but that is some change in culture in what 5-10 years. Or maybe people sub 30 just don't have the money with accommodation costs in particular so high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,444 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Homer wrote: »
    Rumours it may reopen in the future under different management but when you see the likes of lillies, club 92 and other high profile late night venues closing in the last few months you would start to wonder is there a trend away from places like that for the younger crowd? Not my scene either for sure.

The trend away from clubs is a coming a long while now. Going to clubs is stupidly expensive between cover charge and overpriced drink, being full of people off their heads on coke doesn't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭dk1982

But pubs around town are still closing also. Maybe not at the same rate, but that is some change in culture in what 5-10 years. Or maybe people sub 30 just don't have the money with accommodation costs in particular so high.

Its pretty much a purely hard drugs culture for young people now. Lads standing in a pub/club coked off their brains just drinking water isn't going to make the pubs any money. Drugs have overtaken drink for the young people these days. Its absolutely rampant and has been totally normalised, so much so they openly talk about it on FB/Twitter etc. They all want the six pack for ibiza aswell and drink is laced with calories vs hard drugs. The pubs will suffer hugely over the next couple of decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

If you think cocaine is a big problem for all ages, the government ignore it. It's illegal so is not a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

3DataModem wrote: »
    Article incorrectly states there is a starbucks - that closed some time ago.

This could be a great long term investment, with the thousands of houses being built in Fingal over the next year or two.

Which article? The one in the OP is 4 years old.

Indo reporting Bodytonic (of Wigwam, Beatyard, Bernard Shaw, etc) have taken the lease and all staff being offered transfers to Bodytonic or elsewhere in Wright group.

Which article? The one in the OP is 4 years old.

Indo reporting Bodytonic (of Wigwam, Beatyard, Bernard Shaw, etc) have taken the lease and all staff being offered transfers to Bodytonic or elsewhere in Wright group.

I heard Bodytronic had signed a lease alright.. Restaurant, entertainment and live music and a general move away from the club scene..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭homosapien91

Homer wrote: »
    I heard Bodytronic had signed a lease alright.. Restaurant, entertainment and live music and a general move away from the club scene..

Really hope this is true, live walking distance the WV and think I've been in it twice, not my scene at all, this crowd could turn it something I would potentially frequent and would be so handy for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Nightclubs in general were mainly for late drinks in my days of frequenting them. They were all fairly decent and fairly safe. However the culture has changed so much. Back in 80s and 90s an odd person had a joint and I never seen a serious fight. The price of drink is crazy and throw in a taxi and it is serious money for a night out so people drink at home and have parties.

Now however people are off their heads and from what I hear there are more serious assaults taking place. As someone said earlier "its normalized behaviour now" and sfa is been done about it. And it is not just Swords but all over the country.

Having seen awful behaviour outside it one night I am not sorry to see it go.

I hope the staff get looked after. It is not nice to see people lose their jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

so is the old nakker drinking down the back of the church not done anymore? the naggins in the inside pocket ordering just the mixer. the secreted cans of harp in your college back pack tucked in under the table. i had assumed the teens did the same these days. feck im old!:o

Advertisement