Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

secondary school teaching

Options
  • 01-07-2015 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I was hoping someone could give me advice on this. I've completed my first year of science in UCD and i was thinking of becoming a secondary school teacher focusing on biology and chemistry or biology/chemistry and maths.
    Is it hard to find a job? Is it better to do a teaching degree like in UCD for 5 years where the teaching element is introduced from the start or to do 3 years of a general science degree and then doing a Professional Master of Education?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are next to no jobs in teaching. Almost everyone new is on part-time short hour contracts. If you are prepared to move around subbing for a few years you might stay in regular employment, but most people are having to wait a number of years now before they get full hours, if ever.

Maths might certainly help and there is always the option of teaching in the UK with your subjects.

Have a look at the Teaching and Lecturing forum discussions to see what the jobs situation is like (and has been like for years, despite thousands of qualified teachers waiting for 'things to get better'), or look at educationposts.ie and see how almost everything is short term or part time contract work. It will also show you what subjects are being looked for.

Advertisement