Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to Inismor in Aran Islands - late pubs/camping

Options
  • 01-07-2015 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hey

A group of four are thinking of camping and going out on inismore. Basically two questions. 1 do the pubs close late and would many people camp there we just dont want be 4 tools camping in a field. Or are we beter off going too inis sheer for the craic. Heading there early july

regards

Redstaar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

There is a campsite which is basically just a field, there should be a few more people camping there too. There was always at least 2 or 3 more tents there when I have camped. There's one place that stays open pretty late that I can remember, the American bar I think it's called. There might be one or two more too. You've nothing to worry about, it's great craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Brian_Dart

Hi redstaar. I have camped on both islands and Inis Oírr is by far the best. The campsite on Inis Mór is a couple of miles from the boat, and it is basically just a field with an outhouse for toilets. I am still surprised that they do not have better facilities for camping given that it is the biggest of the 3 islands.

The campsite on Inis Oírr is just a short walk from the boat, and it is right beside the beach. It also has great facilities like showers and fairly clean toilets. You have to pay for camping here but when you arrive you can just set up and the person collecting the payment may or may not look for payment from what we saw. That was a few years ago though, so it may be different now. This campsite has also been closed sometimes due to gangs of people coming over and taking the pi$$.

As for the pubs, afaik they stick to the usual closing times, unless there is a session and/or the barperson/owner doesn't mind serving people after hours. If you havent been to Inis Oírr before, there are basically 3 pubs on the island, all within walking distance of each other. It is good craic if there are a few of ye going, but if ye want something a bit more lively, Inis Mór definately has more tourists and livelier pubs usually.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Theres a music festival on Aranmore island (off Donegal) the weekend after next. Might be of interest to you. It's called Swell Festival.

Camping on an island with guaranteed craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Go out early enough in the day and the late closing bar won't be bothering you.

finbarrk wrote: »
    Go out early enough in the day and the late closing bar won't be bothering you.
    wise words indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 redstaar

Thanks brian dart and guys nah too far for us only have one day dongael is out. Its very bad there no contact for camping inismore there a no. Bt its dead. Wel if were the only tools in the camp site camping plan B is to get the last ferry and go to inissheer which we know is good and pubs stay open till 2/3 am. Any other suggestion which we can camp which is busy this time of year were from clare/limerick area.

regards

Redstaar

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

Was on Inis Mor over the weekend just gone by, there's a few pubs on the island but the main/busiest one with tourists would probably be Joe Wattys. Over the 2 nights there was at least 3 different stag groups and 2 hens, I'd guess most were mid to late 20's/early 30's. Pub was jammed on the Saturday, seems to be the busiest night of the week by far out there, not so sure on it staying open really late, but it probably does stay open longer than a pub on the mainland would. Didn't go camping but did see a few set up in the camp grounds so doubt ye'd be alone unless it was torrential!

Anonymou thats the kind of info we need. we just book a hostel now bt can cancel until friday we wil have a decision to make thanks very much man

regards

redstaar

Goin to inis sheer and camping the ferry lads say that inis sheer is far more better crack they should know.

Regards

redstaar

Advertisement