Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with gmail filter

Options
  • 02-07-2015 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

i am trying to setup a gmail filter so will move any emails that are NOT to my email address into a particular folder

so, my setup would be like this:

i have my account1@gmail.com which i use all the time
    i have account2@gmail.com also, which i forward to account1@gmail.com

in account1@gmail.com i want a label on any email that is NOT to account1@gmail.com

i know i could label account2@gmail.com, but i also have account3 etc etc so its easier to filter those that are not to account1@

hope this makes sense, can anyone help please?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Use a hyphen to use a boolean NOT operator.

In your case, set up a filter for the To: field to be -account1@gmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭user99

thanks for your reply maki

in your example now it has tagged every outgoing email to other people with my label now, and also any incoming emails that are not for account1@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

user99 wrote: »
    thanks for your reply maki

in your example now it has tagged every outgoing email to other people with my label now, and also any incoming emails that are not for account1@gmail.com

Ah, didn't think about the outgoing emails.

To fix that, modify the filter so that the from: field also has -account1@gmail.com.

So now, any emails that are not to account1 AND are not from account1 will be labelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭user99

thanks maki. that is working for me. of course, now i just notice the cc and bcc fields. i cant find an obvious solution here. gmail doesnt let me filter by those?

Advertisement