Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samphire Foraging

Options
  • 02-07-2015 3:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys, I'm here wondering if anybody would know good spots to find samphire in the south of Ireland, near Kerry or Tralee?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to Kerry from Cooking & Recipes.

tHB

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

kenzedd wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm here wondering if anybody would know good spots to find samphire in the south of Ireland, near Kerry or Tralee?

I've deleted the other post now as it should only be posted once. Please stick to this thread for any further queries on this. MOD

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

I'd try around the Fenit area, there seems to be a lot of references to it back there.

https://www.google.ie/webhp?source=search_app&gws_rd=ssl#q=samphire++fenit

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Joolzie

I'd try around the Fenit area, there seems to be a lot of references to it back there.

https://www.google.ie/webhp?source=search_app&gws_rd=ssl#q=samphire++fenit

Be also aware that the local football team in Fenit is called The samphires..:) I'd say the Maharees, back of Burnham penninsula, Ballydavid, Bealban and around winestrand would be good bets, they're still kinda wild areas as regards flora.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I think this is only because the lighthouse is actually called little Samphire island

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

Depends how much you are after, it is only rock sapphire around Fenit (could be wrong but havnt seen any marsh) so is not that abundant.
    If it is just for a few dishes/meals you are after you should be grand.

Tasty stuff !

Advertisement