Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish moving to Sydney 2015

• 02-07-2015 5:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey guys,

I am planning on travelling to Australia with two other guys in November. Thailand for ten days then flying into Sydney was the plan, although the way things are going I can see it me going alone.

Already got a few pieces of advice on moving to Sydney but it was from the travel agency guy and was pretty vague so anything else on this would be great, like best recruitment companies, areas/hostels to stay, cheapest drink etc....keep hearing Newtown would be the best area.

Also if you're going around the same time get in touch, the more friendly faces over there the better!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Newtown is a good area. It's always been a bit alternative/accepting and an open area with a strong music, artist and LGBT scene. It's popular with students being close to the Uni, bars, city etc so rent can be expensive in Newtown. Anywhere in the Inner West (where Newtown is located) is pretty good. Too far west and its housing estates, not much to do and the city centre (CBD) is really expensive. A lot of Irish gravitate towards eastern suburbs (Bondi, Coogee areas) but these can be expensive too. Public transport isn't the best out in the eastern suburbs if you want to use trains to get around.

Newtown is starting to change a little bit. There are lock out laws in the CBD where all the tacky big bars are. They were introduced to stop late night drinking/violence and as such people are tending to come to Newtown more for their late licences so the vibe in Newtown isn't the same as it was a year ago.
    Good neighbouring suburbs are Alexandria, Erskineville (awesome little village tip neighbourhood but can be expensive…worth it in my opinion), St Peters, Petersham (where I'm living), Enmore, Stanmore, Redfern (a little bit of a rough area historically but it's close to Surry Hills area and the CBD so getting really expensive), Marrickville, Dulwich Hill, Summer Hill, Leichardt and Annandale would all be pretty good suburbs to live in the Inner West area. Trains/buses are usually pretty well serviced in these areas.

As for drinks, a box of 24 beers in an of licence can be anywhere from about $38-$70 depending what you want to drink. Schooners (375ml glasses) are anywhere from about $7-$10 depending on where/what you are drinking.

Billabong Gardens hostel in Newtown is meant to be a decent enough, reasonably priced place to stay and you could get a feel for the area.

hit up www.seek.com.au to see what work is out there and what agencies are on there.

Advertisement