Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chelmsford Manor, Celbridge - Flood Risk?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭farrerg

sapper wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93270632

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/chelmsford-manor-celbridge-co-kildare/2881263

Hi all - my elderly parents are buying a house in this newly built estate but are up to ninety this morning because their insurance broker tells them they are unable to quote for home insurance as the estate is a flood risk.

Has anyone bought here or know anyone who has? Anyone had the same issue?

thks

We looked at these, very nice houses, there are a good few already occupied, it might be worth asking one of their future neighbours. They must have gotten insurance or they couldn't have drawn down their mortgages.
    that insurer may already have a good few properties in the area and doesn't want any further exposure, another might have no issue

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Flood risk? Like from the little stream that runs down the side, and eventually into the Liffey a few miles away? My home place is up the road, have never ever heard of that area flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

Thanks - found someone living there who was able to get insurance no problem. Going to get more details off them. Maybe the little stream stops brokers being able to quote for it...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Entire areas are included on the flood maps that some of the insurers use- that have never flooded ever. I'm on a hill- approximately 30 feet above the level of the (admittedly nearby) Liffey. There would have to be a tsunami with waves of 40-50 feet before it would affect me. Yet- I can't get flood insurance....... Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

FYI if anyones interested my folks ended up going to FBD, who has insured other houses in the development. FBD quoted them initially but it looks like there was some sort of mix up between Chelmsford (older mature development nearby - no flood risk) and Chelmsford Manor (flood risk).

They got a letter from FBD withdrawing the quote due to flood risk, so my parents have pulled out.

If an insurance company is misses the fact that an address is in one of their flood risk zones, but issues a policy with that address on it, is the house covered for flood? Wouldn't the insurance company say the onus is on the policyholder to declare any flood risk on the property?

Its crazy that this sh*t is still going on. How are developers able to build on land that insurers deem a flood risk?

• Advertisement
Advertisement