Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor delaying the process to sign the new house contract

Options
  • 02-07-2015 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

We are planing to buy a new house and paid the deposit and one of my friend refereed a solicitor and asked her price and all then we agreed as she told she is working part time and she is only available in the morning.. Last week she received the contract and bank LOO that we came to know from bank and Estate agent . But solicitor never informed us about anything. Even we tried to ring her and email her but she never bothered to email or call . her secretary was telling she will ring but she never did. and she emailed us :

I was caught up with closings today and have a client in court tomorrow which has required a lot of attention.

I have received your letter of offer from the bank and you will be getting a letter from me within the next few days. Please note however I note you have phoned the office a number of times today and also emailed me. As advised to you from the very onset of your file I work part time and if you cannot reach me I requested you email. This would not involve another phone call to the office in the afternoon which you note I do not work.

Is this normal or ?
    Is she pretending to be busy and she is not doing any favor or charity work . we are paying the price 1341 euros including VAT . what to do ? can we change the solicitor at this time ? ..any suggestion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

JIM OSCAR wrote: »
    We are planing to buy a new house and paid the deposit and one of my friend refereed a solicitor and asked her price and all then we agreed as she told she is working part time and she is only available in the morning.. Last week she received the contract and bank LOO that we came to know from bank and Estate agent . But solicitor never informed us about anything. Even we tried to ring her and email her but she never bothered to email or call . her secretary was telling she will ring but she never did. and she emailed us :

I was caught up with closings today and have a client in court tomorrow which has required a lot of attention.

I have received your letter of offer from the bank and you will be getting a letter from me within the next few days. Please note however I note you have phoned the office a number of times today and also emailed me. As advised to you from the very onset of your file I work part time and if you cannot reach me I requested you email. This would not involve another phone call to the office in the afternoon which you note I do not work.

Is this normal or ?
    Is she pretending to be busy and she is not doing any favor or charity work . we are paying the price 1341 euros including VAT . what to do ? can we change the solicitor at this time ? ..any suggestion

I suspect you are not her only client and as she stated, you knew from th outset that she only works part time. The price quoted is a bargain and s week is a short time for legal work. Sit tight, it will all fall into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Yep, pretty normal solicitor behaviour! And that is a good deal.

She seems to have a handle on it though, I wouldn't pester too much. And she has a point, no point in calling in the afternoon when you know she wont be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JIM OSCAR

Thanks davo10 & CaoimheSquee .. . will Sit tight, and it will all fall into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

You need to keep her on your side too. Unfortunately her working hours will make things a bit slower than usual but id give her the benefit of the doubt for now. This is totally how solicitors communicate though! They can be tough going! Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

I would put more pressure on the solicitor. My solicitor was no good until I put the pressure on, with calls and emails every few days. I sat around for weeks giving her the benefit of the doubt, but she was so slow and got nothing moving. After plenty of emails and calls, she is finally doing her job which I'm paying her for.

Keep the pressure on your solicitor -that's my advice! Wether you are paying her 100 euro or 3000 euro doesn't matter. She is still required to do her job promptly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You're paying about half what solicitors normally charge (2k +VAT is pretty standard). You've been advised she only works parttime. You accepted this at the outset. She will get the job done. She will probably have the contracts to you in the next few days- providing all is in order. It was always going to take longer when you went with someone who only works parttime (and doubtless has other clients to assist too).

Hang in there. If you don't hear from her within 3-4 days- then drop her an e-mail. Pestering the office- is only going to get everyone's backs up.

This is what you signed up to- when you went with someone who only works parttime.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gogreen81

I won't say it half . The solicitors from which I was taking quote were mostly between 1200 to 1500 so it's a good deal

But that's a normal from solicitor . If u even catch her assistant for any questions or concerns then it would be good enough as they will pass your msg more quickly and even if she's asking her junior to handle the case they will check everytuing with the main solicitor before taking any step . And with the assistant u will get a quicker response ... My experience

Advertisement