Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's eating my willow?

Options
  • 02-07-2015 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

I have a nice willow (salix fragilis) in a container, which was bought about two months ago, it was growing well until about 3 weeks ago when I noticed a bit of leaf curl. I sprayed the leaves with a mix of cider vinegar, water and a drop of washing up liquid (which I use to good effect to keep greenfly at bay elsewhere in the garden). Things did not improve and on closer examination I found that the leaves were being eaten by a grub or larva of some sort, see photo. The grubs are a little less than 1cm in length. I've removed as many of the affected leaves as possible, given the plant a good feed and sprayed the foliage with the homebrew again. Any ideas what this pest is, is there any effective spray I can use? Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Looks like sawfly. Try your local garden centre for insecticidal soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Looks like sawfly. Try your local garden centre for insecticidal soap.

Thank you,looks very like it alright.

Advertisement